Leg side play

wannabekeeper

Leg side play

Imagine yourself playing a forward defensive to a ball just short of a driving length on off stump......now imagine the same length on leg stump, on your pads, what do you do with it?

I don't really have a problem with it, but I am interested to hear the responses...

Re: Leg side play

Personally I'd clip it off my toes if it was at driving length or run it down to fine leg if it was a bit shorter than that. And because I take a middle stump guard, I won't be given out LBW.

Oh ok, because I have been told that I should try to play the ball in front of square, but I always end up playing around my front pad.

Well you could play an on-drive, but there is always a run down to fine leg, and if you can beat square leg, than its always at least 2. And an on-drive wont always get you runs

depending on the pace of the bowler and how far out of my crease im am standing.... i would try and flick it of my pads to fine leg.... rock back and pull it to sqaure.... or lean into it with and on drive...

This is interesting bcos I've had problems with playing round my pad and missing it in the past. Towards the end of last year I decided I would get outside the line of the ball and try and hit it towards or straighter than midwicket. This worked at the time but this year, just in a knock around after cleaning up the club grounds, a senior batsman (and captain this year) told me that I should get inside the line and nudge it down to fine leg or go for the leg bye. At the moment I'm considering when to use each approach (ie inside the line early in your innings, or to shorter pitching ones only, or only one of the two) What are your guys views??

I personaly think that (as an opener) at the beginning of your innings you should hit the ball in front of square unless of course it's short. You should avoid playing across the line...I know that you can play a leg glance with out playing across the line but a lot of people dont know the correct technique.

Well ive been told (as an opener) that at the beginning of my innings i should look to play in the 'V', but also square of the wicket on the leg side, as a way of turning over the strike

yeh my stuk up mate who thinks hes so good at cricket says he plays in the V but he always gets out for ducks

the V isnt a bad mindset to get into.... good idea to start your innings with a straight bat (except short stuff ofcourse)

Thats the mantra I live by as an opener. No swinging across the line, or playing the cut and pull shots till im set

wannabekeeper said:
Imagine yourself playing a forward defensive to a ball just short of a driving length on off stump......now imagine the same length on leg stump, on your pads, what do you do with it?

I don't really have a problem with it, but I am interested to hear the responses...
Is it regarding facing a fast bowler or spinner.

Man, I'm having problems with the legside too, whenever I try to flick it, the ball just hits my pads, beating the bat, or my bat hits the pads blocking the shot. I was used to batting without pads for a long time and I'm pretty good on the legside without pads, but when you suddenly put the pads in the picture, I just can't flick or do anything on the legside (except the short balls that I easily pull or nudge it down to fine leg.)
Anybody got a tip on how to improve that?

i cant play to my legside without slogging the ball and i cant sweep but i can reverse sweep :confused:

Same here, I always miss the sweep but I get the reverse sweep easily. + I'm much more comfortable with. With the sweep, the pads get too much in the way.

when trying to flick a ball of your pads.. a key element that alot of people forget is to get your head forward (either inline with your front knee or just infrong keeping balance ofcourse)... if you try playing the shot with your head more back.. these means the weight is more towards your back leg... your chance of hitting the ball cleanly or at all will go right down...

as for hitting your pads... this is something u have 2 practice... throwdowns would b great... get padded up as if you r in a game and practice these shots..

hope it helps :) even just a little lol

wannabekeeper said:
fast bowler
Hi WK,I had the same problem and had the tendency to leave the ball until a suggestion from Darren changed my thought.
I started first by practicing inside my house with ball on strings and then in the nets.
With more & more practice; it will be easy for u to play the legside shots.
Best of luck :)

Back