Leg Spin Bowling Action

Welcome legspinbowler. How long you been bowling legspin mate ? And incidently how high was the camera from the ground ? Was it the same in every session ? I thought it was looking good when it all clicked together.
2 different run-ups, I watched the clip 3 times and changed my mind which looked better and ended up thinking the first one looked like it might work better in the long run. What do you reckon ? I will have another look and have a think about it and post some more opinion in the morning mate.

I bowled leg spin for a couple of seasons (14-16 yrs old) in juniors half heartedly as I was a batsman. Now I've realised that I'm not much of a batsman so started concentrating a lot more on bowling last 2 seasons (17-18 yrs old)

The camera was about 30 cm above the stumps. I would've thought that my action was progressively improving in each session as I was getting my leading arm to do more work and had more energy throughout the crease. My aim for changing things up was to actually generate some extra pace because that's the only way I see myself getting to our 1st XI.

Thanks for your interest!

Hey dont leave batting so early, we need genuine allrounders too in world cricket. :)
by the way nicely done video editing. What I found in miniature view of bowling that you have good thrust of back leg but it also distorting your head position (falling sidewise). I hope u will submit close up view from all direction for better technical feed back.
enjoy spinning

its too hard to see your action really in that clip. I wouldn't want to comment without seeing it from closer, but I think I spot a couple of things straight away.

try getting a video from behind, one from in front (but with the camera much closer), and also one from the side. will be loads easier to see then. overall it looks like a decent action, maybe just trying to push through a bit hard with the bowling arm, hard to tell. but if you're chasing pace that is quite likely.

90% of pace increase will come from improving the basic technique, utilising the correct muscles, and strength and conditioning. the harder you try to bowl fast, the less consistent the action becomes, and you'll probably end up only gaining a couple of mph but at the expense of all consistency, and probably most of your turn as well! you're best off building a solid basic action and then slowly adding to it. you're quite young still so you've got plenty of time to develop the action, jumping straight into the first XI might not even be best for developing you anyway, even if it seems like a good idea (I had the same idea a couple of years ago, but in hindsight slower development has probably served me better).

I had a quick look, the different approaches as Macca said need to be sorted, one of them looked really odd from so far away, it looked like you have a double skip at the start before the bound, but then the earlier clips seemed to have had a more conventional approach. As High esteem has said we really need to see the action from closer, maybe film your bowling from behind and not be bothere about whether we see the ball turning or not at the stumps? Another thing I spotted was that you 'Over-rotate' in some of the deliveries well in excess of 180 degrees. Where you from.... it looks like Australia?

@highesteem haven't totally given up batting but getting moved from opening in the 3rds to number 9 in the 2nds was somewhat discouraging haha

@Jim totally agree with you there with improving technique and bowling muscles, it's an area I can learn on

@Dave yea from Australia mate, I was using that last run up as it provides some extra momentum. Is over rotating bad? I thought it might increase my chances of getting drift?

Will be taking new footage today so it's a bit easier to see, have to get more inventive with camera locations haha

Thanks all!

That gives a better idea of how you bowl. Looks like a powerful type of action and a strong follow through maybe delivery stride is a fraction long but i dunno maybe that is right for you.

Looks like you havent decided quite what to do with your left arm, in the second action you kind of pump it. You can swing it sideways once or twice with that first action and have a metronome type thing happening to set your rhythm which works for some.

What do you reckon your line and more importantly length are like ? How about spin and drift, getting plenty of revs ?

That gives a better idea of how you bowl. Looks like a powerful type of action and a strong follow through maybe delivery stride is a fraction long but i dunno maybe that is right for you.

Looks like you havent decided quite what to do with your left arm, in the second action you kind of pump it. You can swing it sideways once or twice with that first action and have a metronome type thing happening to set your rhythm which works for some.

What do you reckon your line and more importantly length are like ? How about spin and drift, getting plenty of revs ?

Could you expand on my left arm, I think it was pretty consistent in the second video?

Right now, my line is middle to off. Changes in actions has meant that I've been dragging it short quite consistently. If I bowl it fuller however, I get good revs and drift but there's still the occasional one that comes out the side of the hand that doesn't turn much as a result of rushing through and not finding my rhythm.

Getting through the crease efficiently and quickly is so important. You get through the crease quickly. Good.

Efficiently? Not so much. I think the number one thing you have to work on now is that back leg and its collapse (collapse = bad). Notice your leg first begins straight, then it bends and then it buckles so that your weight is all over it. This puts force into the ground. Not good.

Keep the back leg sturdy with a little bend. Then power forward keeping the leg straight and then get over etc. You are essentially getting the back knee movement back to front. Remember your back leg has to be sturdy and powerful.

That's a great observation, I'm trying to keep my back leg as straight as possible through the release. Thanks!

You mentioned 'number one thing', does that mean there are other areas you see flaws in?

Doctortran puts that so well.

About the left arm, you just have to settle on what to do with it in the run up stage and settle on an action. Sooner you do that the sooner you can get it repeatable and consistent.

You bowl with a similar type style to my son in those first few deliveries on the new clip and that is the one I think might be best in the long run. Mate, I'm telling ya, no bullshit you have got something there, a powerful body action, nice flick of the wrist, heaps of potential, I reckon anyway.

If you spend this winter eliminating any short stuff and smoothing out your action you will have gone a long way as a bowler. Head still and watch the target all the way in. You gotta spin up and get it nice and full. You know all that and the mere fact that your'e here and training at this time means your'e into it.

Thanks macca, means a lot to me. Yea I'm working hard in the off season because I didn't get a bowl in our 2nds grand final loss so thought better prove myself next season.

I've uploaded a 3rd video which focuses on the legs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAnUYsXY5Q

I need a confirmation whether I'm still collapsing my back leg or not? Also, I tried a shorter stride/jump (Piyush Chawla style) and the weight transfer was much easier. Can someone tell the disadvantages and advantages of a long vs short stride/jump?

It looks like you have a very powerful action there. Why the 2 run ups. Are you still undecided on which to use?? It looks like you bowl fast enough with the walk in action and seems like its simpler with less things that can go wrong.

Yeah you're right. The second one gives me extra momentum but at the expense of finding my rhythm. So I'm sticking to the walk in. You guys also suggested it's better for the long run so made my decision easier

I just watched your videos with the sound on. Whats with all the gangster music. Its just not cricket! I don't know ,(shaking my head) You young blokes from the 20/20 generation. :eek:

Haha, I'd be the last person to be part of the 20/20 generation. It's the reason why spinners have to bowl faster.

I'll put on some different music in the next video. Maybe some Kiss?

Back