Leg Spin Bowling Action

Haha, I'd be the last person to be part of the 20/20 generation. It's the reason why spinners have to bowl faster.

I'll put on some different music in the next video. Maybe some Kiss?

No just let us hear the indigenous local wildlife in the background - Kookaburras, Drop Bears and stuff like that. Or some Aussie music - Painters and Dockers maybe?

I like your action lsb; especially how you use the top half of your body... such power! You are learning to harness it and when you do, I am sure you will be awesome. I am afraid I cannot help you with that; it is just a case of practise, but I can see you are getting there.

I also like the plyometric thing you have going with the back leg; you use it well.

You have a little heel tap just after front foot contact that I would try to eliminate. Take a shorter stride and allow that plyometric boost to get you straight on to the ball of your foot straight away; you are losing energy at this point.

As for length of strides, I am afraid it is very personal... what works for one does not work for another. In your case, due to your lower centre of gravity and your power, you would be better with not too long a stride at the moment. You would struggle to get your weight forward quick enough on a long stride, until you sort out your heel tap.

All in all, a nice action... keep working on it :D.

I also like the plyometric thing you have going with the back leg; you use it well.

You have a little heel tap just after front foot contact that I would try to eliminate. Take a shorter stride and allow that plyometric boost to get you straight on to the ball of your foot straight away; you are losing energy at this point.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. For the heel tap, should I keep the heel of my front foot off the ground throughout? (like Shane Warne does)

By the plyometric thing, do you mean when my back leg goes up just before the stride? Doctortran pointed out that i collapsed my back leg so I thought of removing the plyometric thing (last part of video 3). Bad idea?

I just watched your videos with the sound on. Whats with all the gangster music. Its just not cricket! I don't know ,(shaking my head) You young blokes from the 20/20 generation. :eek:
Ben, I thought of commenting about the music myself, but then let it pass. Thanks for doing it. Best videos are those without any background music. As Dave mentions, we'd like to hear the birds chirping, ball fizzing away (if you've spun it hard enough) etc

Thanks a lot for your feedback. For the heel tap, should I keep the heel of my front foot off the ground throughout? (like Shane Warne does)

Well, you need to land on your heel... then get off it as soon as possible. At the moment you do this but then you rely on your front foot to push your weight forward, so you go back on to your heel for a split second. Basically, it is a little cheat ;). There is not anything wrong with this from an injury perspective but it does slow down your pace.

By the plyometric thing, do you mean when my back leg goes up just before the stride?

Actually, just a little before this. It is something I use when coaching kicking in rugby. You load your quad, then transfer energy from an eccentric to concentric contraction. It is not orthodox in a spinner's action but you utilise it well. On its own, it is worthless but it is quite important in conjunction with the way you use the top half of your body. This is where you need to get your power to push your weight over your front foot [not use the ff heel]. Personally, I would not change it but you need to go with what feels good for you.

Work on it a bit lsb and then re-post a new video. At the moment, the action with the shorter stride is inhibited, so it is not really possible to take enough information from it to be constructive.

BTW... no Mumfords... no comment :p

Yeah maybe you tightened up a bit with the shorter stride but still the last few on the latest clip has to be getting close to your final set-up. Shorter stride gets you higher so you got to think higher.

legspinner not getting a bowl in a grand final is nothing unusual. how had you been bowling in the season ? Eventually when you get around to it how about filming the ball from stumps again and show us what you are doing off the deck. In full sun even with that camera we should see a bit. Maybe chalk a target on the pitch 8' from batting crease so we can judge length ? No hurry mate, you could give it a few weeks to you sort your action out .

Good to see you keeping it up over winter. I reckon me and my young bloke do more overs in the off season than in the summer. Bit of indoor comp helps too but when you notice it is in the early part of the season when a lot of bowlers who played footy take weeks to get accurate whereas if you keep it up in the off season with lots of target practise you will be quite possibly, if not probably and, according to my experience, definately the best bowler in the team, until the quicks hit their stride.

was been moving in and out of the 2nds, bowled well in the few games I played in the 3rds, had a bowl once in the 2nds (12 overs 1/50). Bowled a lot in training however, to our 1sts and 2nds, steadily improving throughout the season.

Yeah my mate is setting up an indoor team but I just realised there is a winter comp running here in Victoria. Probably too late to join a club that competes but wouldn't but wouldn't mind at least training with them.

Yeah will definitely have a video coming up to show my final action and how I'm landing them, maybe with a better camera!

How old is your son?

Victoria wouldn't be the easiest place in Oz to keep up training in the winter, maybe in the north west part of the state where they get lots of sunshine in their winters would be good especially if you had the early afternoon free to train. Those covered netball courts are pretty good to mark out a pitch on in the wet weather and get some overs in.

Looks like you havent decided quite what to do with your left arm, in the second action you kind of pump it. You can swing it sideways once or twice with that first action and have a metronome type thing happening to set your rhythm which works for some.

Back