Leg Spin Bowling - Tips, Comments ...

shahidpak

I have finally filmed myself bowling, in a football stadium as i don't have access to any cricket pitch.
(It's a synthetic football field so i think it spins a lot)
I filmed with my phone (HTC One) which i managed to put on a bench while i was filming my phone fell a couple of times, and now it has a few little scratches :( ; quality wise its not the best but i think its the minimum needed.

I think i bowl slowly but watching the video i see that i bowl faster than i thought, i personally think my run up should be faster, my arm angle varies sometimes (1 st ball compared to last), i drifted a bit and diped a bit too.. Any advice/comments would be appreciated Thanks
Edit: Im sorry it was so cloudy that day, and this video that went from my phone to my laptop, to editing to Facebook turned out to be a bad quality one unfortunately it was alright on my laptop but i think its because of the editing.

Looks good to me as well, 2 or 3 had some real drift! It looks like your ball with more top - spin is the one that drifts the most which is interesting.
Thanks Dave maybe i get more spin with my top spinner (15°) its a very important delivery for me i bowl it to get out of trouble or when i bowl to big hitters, weirdly when i bowl in matches i bowl it flatter and with les spin which is kind of annoying?

Thanks Dave maybe i get more spin with my top spinner (15°) its a very important delivery for me i bowl it to get out of trouble or when i bowl to big hitters, weirdly when i bowl in matches i bowl it flatter and with les spin which is kind of annoying?

That's a psychological issue, I think most of us do that, especially when you get hit big. I think I've mentioned it on here before, but in one of my last matches I had a Dad play alongside us in my regular team. I try and give everyone a bowl and knew this bloke would bowl ridiculously slow and loopy - seemed like a crazy risk, but at the same time I've seen on so many occasions bloke bowl like this and get a result. Brought him on and he bowled 2 overs for me against two batsmen that were coming after us and looking to put the ball out of the park. He got both of them and almost a 3rd batsman - 2 or three ridiculous wides in there. But one hit the stumps and one was a mis-hit that was caught - they're the ones that matter - he came away with something like 2-0-7-2!

But - you stand there at the crease and say to yourself - This blokes hit 2 fours straight over my head off of three balls, I'm now going to loop a few up at 30mph with a little bit of top-spin... Then do it. Most of us have a panic button that switches on and says What the hell are you thinking - bowl faster!!!! And we do, but experience and observation, tells you the slow ball might be the answer, but it takes a strong mind to go with it.

That's a psychological issue, I think most of us do that, especially when you get hit big. I think I've mentioned it on here before, but in one of my last matches I had a Dad play alongside us in my regular team. I try and give everyone a bowl and knew this bloke would bowl ridiculously slow and loopy - seemed like a crazy risk, but at the same time I've seen on so many occasions bloke bowl like this and get a result. Brought him on and he bowled 2 overs for me against two batsmen that were coming after us and looking to put the ball out of the park. He got both of them and almost a 3rd batsman - 2 or three ridiculous wides in there. But one hit the stumps and one was a mis-hit that was caught - they're the ones that matter - he came away with something like 2-0-7-2!

But - you stand there at the crease and say to yourself - This blokes hit 2 fours straight over my head off of three balls, I'm now going to loop a few up at 30mph with a little bit of top-spin... Then do it. Most of us have a panic button that switches on and says What the hell are you thinking - bowl faster!!!! And we do, but experience and observation, tells you the slow ball might be the answer, but it takes a strong mind to go with it.
We have a slow medium pace bowler who got two wickets too not a vert good bowler but the batsmen were over confident and yeah i think it is subconscious too sometimes

Great article by Martin Crowe on handling this.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/786989.html

Dave, I think your action is maybe more suitable for bowling flippers than others. The very first time I tried the finger flick I could do it perfectly but I've never been able to land a flipper and make it do anything. The only place where I've been able to pitch it was in indoor cricket with a lighter ball, it turned a bit and kept low but overall it wasn't a potential wicket-taker.

Looking at Shahidpak's line and length I'd say the flipper would be a good variation for him to have, but maybe the OBS would be even better. If he can develop one he'll be able to go around the loop from the top spinner to the backspinner and mix those up for confusion. It's easier than the flipper for most and if he can get it to skid on it will be more or less the same as the flipper, but harder to pick.
I ve tried the OBS while training i only get it to back spin at 45° or i let it go like a fast bowler. I dont know how some of you who bowl it can get enough spin i just get a small amount of spin. I am thinking about the flipper and i will try to develop one.

The idea of the OBS is that you have as much leg spin on it as possible whilst still making it skid on. It's difficult to do at first but if you bowl it flat enough and with the right angle it works.

It doesn't matter if you only get a small amount of spin on it, that helps a lot with making it skid on.
Then we dont have the same définition of the OBS for me its spinning it back towards you

Then we dont have the same définition of the OBS for me its spinning it back towards you

its best to call it a slider to avoid confusion then everyone knows what we're talking about. A backspinner is non-specific, it could be any delivery with backspin.

The slider normally has about 50% sidespin, 50% backspin, and is bowled just slightly quicker and flatter than your stock delivery, and hopefully drifts in but then skids more or less straight on. Shane Warne bowled loads of them in the 2nd half of his career, it was by far his most successful variation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slider_(cricket)

Well for me a slider is a delivery bowled with 100 percent side spin but because on some pitches this delivery spins, Shane Warne sometimes bowled it with 50 back spin. And a OBS is a delivery in which you rotate your wrist 180° from the top spinner and try to get back spin on it.

Most people have an entirely different version of it; there are few leggies that use the exact same backspinner. The 90 degree leg break isn't really a slider; if you bowl on a decent pitch it will always have some turn. The OBS with pure backspin isn't so worthwhile since it looks just like an off spin delivery.
So why do we see a lot of off spinners who bowl the 90 degreeé and it sometimes doesnt turn?

There's a lot of reasons.
1) They don't generate as many revolutions as wrist spinners on their 90 degree delivery
2) Their 90 degree off break naturally has a lot more "flying saucer spin" than a leg spinner's
3) They release the ball with an angle across the turn
4) Off spinners can get more drift than a leg spinner since they pivot in the direction of the drift, drift lessens the turn
5) The 90 degree delivery allows maximum drift which further allows the drift to lessen the turn
6) On some pitches (especially flat ODI decks) sidespin doesn't grip as much as an overspinning delivery
7) They bowl faster than leg spinners which can also lessen turn

The 90 degree off- or leg spinner is not a slider, it's supposed to turn, these factors simply cause it to skid on. You have to remember that That Ball To Strauss, the biggest turning delivery we've ever seen was also a 90 degree leg break. If you bowl it right it turns most of the time.
Go on YouTube and type "Shane Warne Mystery delivery... Slider Or Not ?" its an 8 minute video watch it and youll sée warnes slider as i described it.

But that isn't a slider at all. It's an overspinning leg break that didn't grip the pitch. That was all natural variation. His real slider is bowled by dragging the fingers down the back of the ball (and also slightly along the side of the ball)
Thats what shane Warne bowled on pitches that turned when he bowled his slider so to cover for his slider he bowled a variation if his slider

So why do we see a lot of off spinners who bowl the 90 degreeé and it sometimes doesnt turn?
Chino's gone a bit too far in the response, in general most offspinners don't put as many revs on the ball as wristspinners. That's pretty much it.

Personally I'm with you when it comes to the slider and the explanation of it.

Back