Leg Spin - Having A Tighter Grip Or Looser Grip?

futureblackcap

I have watched quite a few of Shane Warne's videos and he seems to have quite a loose grip, when looking at Richie Benaud's leg spin grip is the complete opposite; his grip is quite tight.

I find bowling with the tighter grip is easier when bowling the top spinner but the looser grip generates more turn when bowling the normal leg break.

What do you think is best?

Changing the grip between a leg break and top spinner, keeping my grip the same for both the top spinner and leg break (tight or loose) or a combination of this?

if your a young leggie - and have consistency, variation and the ability to turn the ball you will get some great opportunities in cricket. Dont make it too complicated and stay positive & love a challenge!!

from a fellow spinner

Notwithstanding the "prime directive" that you must do whatever works best for you, if you're looking to experiment I'd recommend trying as loose a grip as you can manage whilst not allowing the ball to slip.

Two reasons:

Firstly, see Shane Warne's remarks about trying to be relaxed, and a tight grip making you tense. My own personal experience is that shoulder tension in particular *kills spin*.

Secondly, if you grip the ball too tightly so it's wedged in your fingers, then it's almost snatched out of your fingers rather than being flicked out. If you can wade through it, please see my thread "What causes the ball to spin" for my somewhat rambling thoughts on this matter. (I was originally going to post that as a reply to this, but thought better of it :))

I like to have the ball held in my fingers firmly enough so it doesn't slip, but loosely enough that I can *vary* the tension. Try holding it and twisting the ball around a bit in your hand by varying the leverage of the different fingers.

I suspect what you're finding with your topspinner is more to do with the fact that if you have the ball gripped harder, you're thinking more about it and so are thinking more about the hand position. If you can, experiment with a looser grip but try and visualise the seam position as you're bowling. I sort of use my thumb a bit as a rudder, and visualise - and feel - the third finger pulling straight up from behind the ball and right over the top, like I'm pulling an arrow from a quiver :)

Just my 2ps worth.

Notwithstanding the "prime directive" that you must do whatever works best for you, if you're looking to experiment I'd recommend trying as loose a grip as you can manage whilst not allowing the ball to slip.

Two reasons:

Firstly, see Shane Warne's remarks about trying to be relaxed, and a tight grip making you tense. My own personal experience is that shoulder tension in particular *kills spin*.

Secondly, if you grip the ball too tightly so it's wedged in your fingers, then it's almost snatched out of your fingers rather than being flicked out. If you can wade through it, please see my thread "What causes the ball to spin" for my somewhat rambling thoughts on this matter. (I was originally going to post that as a reply to this, but thought better of it :))

I like to have the ball held in my fingers firmly enough so it doesn't slip, but loosely enough that I can *vary* the tension. Try holding it and twisting the ball around a bit in your hand by varying the leverage of the different fingers.

I suspect what you're finding with your topspinner is more to do with the fact that if you have the ball gripped harder, you're thinking more about it and so are thinking more about the hand position. If you can, experiment with a looser grip but try and visualise the seam position as you're bowling. I sort of use my thumb a bit as a rudder, and visualise - and feel - the third finger pulling straight up from behind the ball and right over the top, like I'm pulling an arrow from a quiver :)

Just my 2ps worth.

Thank you for the advice, I agree with you on many accounts. You use your thumb for top spinner? Didn't Richie Benaud do something similar to that? I'll give it a go.

Back