Leg spin help?!?!

Basit770

Leg spin help?!?!

Hi there I am 15 and I play at club level. At winter nets, I feel like a fish outta water!

I bowl quite short a lot and when i do bowl a good length ball, it NEVER turns !

And the batsmen just slog me outta the net, ball after ball after ball... :(
I have missed a lot of sessions due to this and because it is meant to be an under 15 net but a few older people play at treat the session as fun instead of getting the essential practise.

Any tips?

Re: Leg spin help?!?!

Basit,

Have a look at the 'Wrist spin bowling' thread - http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58854/

If you scroll down the first page you'll see a list of main points that you should be focusing on. Actually I'll just copy them into here -

1. If you're starting out with Leg Spin concentrate on being able to bowl the Leg Break. Don't worry about all the variations, just make sure that you're able to bowl this delivery and that it's your main weapon against the batsman.

2. Familiarise yourself with the videos that are available on-line via youtube - there's one with Shane Warne himself at the Wacca and 2 with Terry Jenner one from the BBC and the other is part of the Cloverdale video series. All of these videos are helpful.

3. If you can learn with a coach - it's gotta be the best way surely?

4. Leg Spin/Wrist spin is acknowledged as being potentially the most difficult form of bowling so be prepared to put some hours in getting it right - be prepared for the long haul.

5. Practice, practice and more practice.

6. Look after your shoulder - check out the threads relating to shoulder exercises to prevent injury.

7. At the earliest point borrow, steal or buy Peter Philpotts book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Wrist-Spin-Bowling/dp/1861260636. Read it and follow the instructions!

This may help. But I'd also say I'd probably not advise point 2 anymore because both those videos seem to focus heavily on wrist spin variations and all you really need to worry about is being able to bowl the Leg Break in several different ways e.g.

1. Accurately when you choose to do so.
2. Variation of length when you choose to do so.
3. Variation of speed.
4. Variation or good control of line.

What you need to do more than anything else is practice. Hours and hours of practice preferably on your own or with a mate who also bowls spin (Preferably Leg Spin). You can't muck about with this, you have to really concentrate and focus on what you're trying to do - it's noted to be one of the most difficult things in cricket, so it's never going to be easy as you're discovering at the moment and it's really easy to become discouraged. Don't get discouraged and if it's really getting you down practicing in the nets and getting hit for 4's and 6's choose to bat in those situations and learn to bowl on your own until you feel confident that there's been some improvement and then go back to the nets?

Another thing you could do is record your bowling action on video (camera phone) and upload it to youtube and paste the link in the wrist spin bowling thread. If you do this we can all have a look at your action and make some suggestions as to how you might be able to make some improvements to that aspect of your bowling?

Also have a look and listen to this youtube clip. I think a lot of the point and drills suggested on here are far more important than all the things that Warne & Jenner bang on about in their video clips. Once you've got your basic Leg Break sussed maybe then start mucking around with all the variations.

YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

Finally - if you've got more questions you should post in the wrist spin thread as you'll get a lot more responses and there's loads of useful stuff already on there that may be helpful.

A tip I've picked up to place some stumps (kiwk cricket style ones are ideal) on the wicket, just before you want the ball to pitch. It helps you to develop dip as well as control.

It also gives you something to focus on and is a real test of skill.

Is that to give yourself something to just miss? I think dip is something that alludes me for the moment or I'm not aware of it. What would you do then if say you were practicing spot bowling and you were getting your length right - would you then move the stumps closer and closer to the spot where the ball was landing? If so that sounds like a pretty advanced training technique - one I might try in the summer if I remember it.

Not quite sure of the intricacies of it, just had the info passed onto me. I guess it works on the principle of having a target to aim before but this time it's vertical rather than flat on the floor.

The guy who demonstrated it was able to get the ball to pitch just after the stumps, which showed pretty decent control.

Back