Leg Spin Variations

HOWZAT?

Hey guys,

I need help with some variations.
What should i do to keep the batter thinking?
change pace and flight?
flipper, wrong-un, maybe a top spinner?

Depends on what format of the game you're playing and how many overs you're getting and why your Leg Break isn't working for you? If you've got a good solid leg break that you're able to land in the right areas (line and length) you might only need to vary your flight and speed. Do you bowl a legside attack looking to go round the back of the legs or trying to induce a catch on the on-side, or turn the ball across the front of the bat to get a catch off the face of the bat or gloves on the off-side, or do you bowl an off-stump line looking for the edge to go to slips or the keeper? Hows your field set? There's so many things you need to consider or are you a newbie and looking for really basic advice?

Depends on what format of the game you're playing and how many overs you're getting and why your Leg Break isn't working for you? If you've got a good solid leg break that you're able to land in the right areas (line and length) you might only need to vary your flight and speed. Do you bowl a legside attack looking to go round the back of the legs or trying to induce a catch on the on-side, or turn the ball across the front of the bat to get a catch off the face of the bat or gloves on the off-side, or do you bowl an off-stump line looking for the edge to go to slips or the keeper? Hows your field set? There's so many things you need to consider or are you a newbie and looking for really basic advice?
nah im not that new.
i have a good leggie. bowl it from leg to spin to outside off. no joke. but it can be a bit inconsistent at times. i normally try and get the batsmen to push at the ball and get the edge, stumping (most often), or a catch in close. thanks for the advice.

Do you bowl a Top-Spinner then? If you haven't got a Top-Spinner that's usually the next recommended variation as it's the next one round the loop. Look at Graeme Swann and how simple but effective his approach is, he either turns the ball or bowls it straight and he gets so many wickets simply by virtue of the batsmen playing for turn when the ball simply goes straight on. You'll also have the addition of dip and increased bounce which all cause problems and if you get it sussed, you might find your small Leg break has added bounce as well and that'll be a bonus too.

Do you bowl a Top-Spinner then? If you haven't got a Top-Spinner that's usually the next recommended variation as it's the next one round the loop. Look at Graeme Swann and how simple but effective his approach is, he either turns the ball or bowls it straight and he gets so many wickets simply by virtue of the batsmen playing for turn when the ball simply goes straight on. You'll also have the addition of dip and increased bounce which all cause problems and if you get it sussed, you might find your small Leg break has added bounce as well and that'll be a bonus too.
ok thanks, yeah i can bowl a top spinner. sometimes with my leg break i get drift in to righties and then lots of turn away. lots of wickets with that. thanks for the advice;)

i started bowling a wrong-un about a week ago and its going pretty well. I need to work on consistency with it. Other than that its going well.
PS: great vids! really helped

i started bowling a wrong-un about a week ago and its going pretty well. I need to work on consistency with it. Other than that its going well.
PS: great vids! really helped

Cheers, I'm hoping to update them all before the next season as I've learnt so much since then and I can add more to the content. Watch out for the Googly syndrome though, make sure you go back to your Leg Break frequently to check that you can still turn loads, if there's any hint of losing it, leave the Googly's and get back on the Leggies.

Cheers, I'm hoping to update them all before the next season as I've learnt so much since then and I can add more to the content. Watch out for the Googly syndrome though, make sure you go back to your Leg Break frequently to check that you can still turn loads, if there's any hint of losing it, leave the Googly's and get back on the Leggies.
yeah i normally focus on my leggie. trying to get the seam straight and turning, flight, speed. lots to work on. but i work on other balls sometimes to try and work on. in games at the moment i only bowl my leggies except i change the speed and flight. And some times i bowl a quick fast ball like a pacer.
PS: i have been trying loads of different sites but still can't find out how to bowl a slider. do you know? if u do can u share the secret? :p

We're all debating the Slider at the minute and whether it's ever been formally described. On the web there's several different descriptions of it. My own take on the slider at the minute based on all the evidence I can find on the web is a the ball gripped with the leg break 2 up 2 down grip, but you drag the fingers down the back of the ball like a seam bowler using your 2 up fingers putting back-spin on it, it comes out of the hand spinning cross seam/scrambled so that it either slides through off the smooth surface of the ball or the seam hits the deck and it does something. I'm looking for published evidence that this is the definitive description.

Other than that try Philpotts 'Orthodox Back-Spinner'.

We're all debating the Slider at the minute and whether it's ever been formally described. On the web there's several different descriptions of it. My own take on the slider at the minute based on all the evidence I can find on the web is a the ball gripped with the leg break 2 up 2 down grip, but you drag the fingers down the back of the ball like a seam bowler using your 2 up fingers putting back-spin on it, it comes out of the hand spinning cross seam/scrambled so that it either slides through off the smooth surface of the ball or the seam hits the deck and it does something. I'm looking for published evidence that this is the definitive description.

Other than that try Philpotts 'Orthodox Back-Spinner'.
ok thanks! That's a big help for me. At the moment im only focusing on the leg spinner. trying to get the seam straight and turning lots and consistency. The slider will definitely come in handy.
Thanks and keep on posting those videos! They really help.

Back