Leg spin

ciza spina

Leg spin

I'm a leg spin bowler. my stock delivery is a slider with my changer either being a wrongun or a leg spinner but i can never quite pick the right place to put my leg spin. it's always too far to the left and i keep getting pulled. HELP/ADVICE??

Re: Leg spin

ciza spina;376741 said:
I'm a leg spin bowler. my stock delivery is a slider with my changer either being a wrongun or a leg spinner but i can never quite pick the right place to put my leg spin. it's always too far to the left and i keep getting pulled. HELP/ADVICE??

do you mean too far to the left from the batsmans point of view?

Are you right handed? Does that mean you are pitching outside off stump and getting pulled? That means you are probably pitching a bit too short. The batsman is still hitting against the spin though.

i train twice a week and do 2 nets sessions with my friends on the weekend. plus just some bowling in the backyard on weeknights

the most obvious alteration to make would be to bowl less to the off side, move your line across to inline with the stumps somewhere, depending on how much turn you generate.

how you physically do that is the harder part. just keep aiming inline with middle stump when youre practicing and eventually it should come. also try to identify any features of your action that could be causing the problem. such as where your feet land prior to your delivery. where your body us facing, most specifically your chest. what your arms are doing. what you do in your follow through. etc, etc.

if you physically cant adjust your line then that would suggest that your action is preventing you from doing so, and a simple adjustment somewhere will fix it, youve just got to figure out what to adjust. if you bowl outside off stump because you feel that is the best place to bowl, and its not working, then simply adjust across to inline with the stumps.

as has been said though, a pull shot is across the line of the ball and against the spin. its a dream shot (from a bowlers perspective) for a batsman to be playing because the margin for error is big against a leg spinner. if you can bowl a top spinner or a flipper then thats going to do you some favours with the unexpected bounce (brings top edge and LBW into play, but only if you bowl at the stumps). if you can generate a good amount of turn with a leg break in amongst your normal slider deliveries then that is also going to cause problems against a pull shot if the batsman misjudges it. if a batsman is able to pull you (as opposed to a sweep shot) then that would suggest to me that you are probably bowling too short as well? a pull shot is primarily played off the back foot. the simplest way to stop this shot without adjusting anything in your action, is simply to bowl fuller. if the batsman has to play on the front foot then he cant pull. he can sweep instead though, but again, its a high risk shot.

Jim2109;376979 said:
the most obvious alteration to make would be to bowl less to the off side, move your line across to inline with the stumps somewhere, depending on how much turn you generate.

how you physically do that is the harder part. just keep aiming inline with middle stump when youre practicing and eventually it should come. also try to identify any features of your action that could be causing the problem. such as where your feet land prior to your delivery. where your body us facing, most specifically your chest. what your arms are doing. what you do in your follow through. etc, etc.

if you physically cant adjust your line then that would suggest that your action is preventing you from doing so, and a simple adjustment somewhere will fix it, youve just got to figure out what to adjust. if you bowl outside off stump because you feel that is the best place to bowl, and its not working, then simply adjust across to inline with the stumps.

as has been said though, a pull shot is across the line of the ball and against the spin. its a dream shot (from a bowlers perspective) for a batsman to be playing because the margin for error is big against a leg spinner. if you can bowl a top spinner or a flipper then thats going to do you some favours with the unexpected bounce (brings top edge and LBW into play, but only if you bowl at the stumps). if you can generate a good amount of turn with a leg break in amongst your normal slider deliveries then that is also going to cause problems against a pull shot if the batsman misjudges it. if a batsman is able to pull you (as opposed to a sweep shot) then that would suggest to me that you are probably bowling too short as well? a pull shot is primarily played off the back foot. the simplest way to stop this shot without adjusting anything in your action, is simply to bowl fuller. if the batsman has to play on the front foot then he cant pull. he can sweep instead though, but again, its a high risk shot.

Jim, I'm aghast at your knowledge of the game, you run rings round me with this stuff, I was just thinking earlier on - the thing I need to learn now is tactics - what to look for in the batsmans approach and then how to counter it.

Anyway back to my penny's worth...... Yeah Jim's advice here is all top notch stuff, but it just sounds like you need to bowl more and analyse as Jim has suggested what it might be that is going wrong. I'm kind of suspicious as to why your stock ball is the slider rather than the Leg Break - whats the story there?

Back