Leg Spinners Run Up?

shahidpak

Firstly i would like to signal to a moderator or an admin that the "Post Forum" button sometimes temporarily dissapears i dont know why?

Anyway hello,

I wanted to ask how many meters or steps of a run up do you take (How many meters gets you a good rythm) because the run up distance really annoys me because i can't get a good rythm while approaching the crease? I hope i was clear in my question Thanks :D

Mine is about 9 meters back, 2 sideways when I bowl from over the wickets. Same as Graeme Swann's. Just get yourself a nice rhythm and build enough momentum. No run-up is too long or too short if you have success with it. I would suggest a short-ish run-up though, the faster you get through your overs without rushing it, the better.

Mine is exactly 6 steps , I walk for about 4 of them and then just a little faster/explosion at the end . This works for me . The shorter my run up the more easily I find it to generate revs on the ball , but this is only my experience . I'd suggest your run up to be about the same length , a too long run up just complicates things unnecessarily

Mine is exactly 6 steps , I walk for about 4 of them and then just a little faster/explosion at the end . This works for me . The shorter my run up the more easily I find it to generate revs on the ball , but this is only my experience . I'd suggest your run up to be about the same length , a too long run up just complicates things unnecessarily

Shorter run-up = more revs? Maybe the shorter the more turn, since you bowl slower with less momentum and the slower the ball is bowled the more turn you get.

Warne had a 10 step run-up if I remember correctly, not sure if it helped him spin the ball more but it did have some effect on his revs. Terry Jenner tried to make him run in faster but it never worked for Warne. I can't impart lots of revs on the ball if I only have a little momentum, but if I have lots of momentum I can bowl faster and with more revs. Some bowlers can put more revs on the ball in the stand start drill (no momentum) than with a run-up. The run-up (along with every other thing in cricket) comes down to individual preference and strengths. You have to find the perfect run-up that works best for you, no one else can decide what will work best for you.

Like I said , more revs in my experience ! I agree it is individual preference . I've noticed that when I walk in I kind of focus more ( not sure how to describe this ) . I've noticed when I run in things can easily get bad , so a shorter run up while walking in helps me with revs as well as accuracy !

Like I said , more revs in my experience ! I agree it is individual preference . I've noticed that when I walk in I kind of focus more ( not sure how to describe this ) . I've noticed when I run in things can easily get bad , so a shorter run up while walking in helps me with revs as well as accuracy !

From my personal experience, running in doesn't add any pace at all. If I simply walk in for nine steps I build enough momentum to bowl the same pace as with a quick run-up.

Why would be want to bowl quicker anyway? We only have to bowl 75 k/ph and we're at the same pace as Warne!

Back