Match Fees - How much does it cost you to play?

mas cambios

Match Fees - How much does it cost you to play?

I was just looking at a some random club site and saw that they charge £10 match fees and an annual sub of £130, which I think is pretty expensive. Actually, it's very expensive.

This got me thinking as to how much others pay to play, personally, I get charged £6 per game plus annual subs of £70 (which is bad enough) but then again the club I play has no bar and limited options for raising funds due to it's location (in the grounds of a hospital).

Saying that though, some of the places we visit in the league have no annual subscription and probably only charge £4 per game but they are in deprived areas and most clubs are affiliated to the local rugby club which brings in the money.

So, how much do you pay to play and how does that compare to other clubs around you? Also, is it a English thing to charge or does it run pretty much worldwide?

Re: Match Fees - How much does it cost you to play?

90 bucks for the season. But that's juniors.

It's a bit higher than most other clubs, but we have players coming from everywhere so it has gone up the past few seasons and plus we have to hire out the big VFL oval with the grandstand and everything.

I pay $150 for a 15's turf season and the Hardwicket players pay $100

Yep a hundred big ones for the season. Pretty good, and the club can supply bats, pads, gloves, helmets and even a box.

ah, good time, it's registration time for most clubs down here... I'll list our figures and then give a reason for why seniors seem so expensive.

our fees:
Junior (returning): $70 (32 Pounds)
Junior (new): $85 (Roughly 40 Pounds)

With $5 match day fees. (Around 2.5 Pounds)

Senior (returning): $160 (75 P), $110 [51 P] (Student or unemployed)
Senior (new): $180 (84 P), $130 (61 P) (Student or unemployed)

With $10 match day fees. (4.6 P)

I'm not sure what people know about the costs involved with a running a community cricket club, but we've recently worked out that, at the end of each season, our club makes at most $5 (2.5 P) per senior player registered... and nearly $100 (46 P) per Junior cricketer.

I'm not sure how ground agreements are struck over there in the U.K, but here in Victoria, most councils have junior development policies which make running a senior contigency quite pricey. For example: The cost involved with a user agreement is determined by taking the amount of senior players that will use the facilities, and then offsetting that amount by the number of junior players that will use the facilities. So effectively, the less senior teams you have, and the more junior teams you have, the cheaper it is to run the club. To emphasise the point: Our club has 7 Junior teams and two senior teams and will pay as much for our user agreement as another club that has only 1 senior team....

...And then once you add in how much more senior balls cost ($20 more for a run of the mill two piece; $40 - $45 more for a turf standard four piece), plus umpires fees, you quickly start to see why senior memberships are so expensive.

Sorry to rant and get a bit off topic (always in your threads, Mas: My bad!), but it's my personal mission to ensure every senior player (at least in Australia) understands that most clubs run senior teams at a loss (or at best, just break even) so that I don't have to hear any jaded old run abouts complaining about how the focus is always on the juniors.

No worries MV, it's nice to see a breakdown of sorts.

I fully understand the costs involved but it amazes me the difference in what the players get charged, depending on the club. Balls are £7 a time (2 per game) plus insurance is at least £900 (probably more for most clubs) then add in league registrations etc and you can see where the money goes.

7 pounds per ball?! That's so cheap in comparison to our charges ($15 - $20 for a Junior 148 gram two piece; $35 for a two piece in senior synthetic grades; upwards of $65 for an association approved four piece in the turf grades).

I think the biggest reason for the huge differences in rego fees and match payments is the different revenue raising opportunities individual clubs have (pokies; a bar; 'fundraising nights'; chocolate drives, etc) and what sponsorship they have been able to recruit.

But yeah, I wasn't so much venting toward yourself, more expressing my frustrations at the attitude of a lot of senior cricketers in general who have never had a second thought as to what is actually involved with running a club. A lot of players that i've encountered just don't understand why clubs put such a focus on junior development, recruitment and retention when the senior portion of the club is supposed to be "the flagship".

£80 subs and a £5 match fee. That's for a U18 (basically someone who was was still underage at the start of the season but is not eligable for junior cricket).

Seems fair enough.

MV!;28685 said:
7 pounds per ball?! That's so cheap in comparison to our charges ($15 - $20 for a Junior 148 gram two piece; $35 for a two piece in senior synthetic grades; upwards of $65 for an association approved four piece in the turf grades).

Not sure what the cost is in the premier league as I'd imagine they'd use a better ball (more like £15/20 per ball).

The reason the ball is cheap is due to numbers, the company that has the contract must be supplying in the region of 2500 plus balls for a season. I'd say that it was average quality but you get what you pay for and clubs won't go for anything that is much more expensive.

mas cambios;28678 said:
Is that your own box to keep or a communal one?
Ah that would be a communal one. Suffice to say only one person uses it;)

Nothing worse than having second use of the communal box, especially if its still warm.

And got a bit of liquid in it. And I don't mean sweat xD

Yeah Mas, thats why Dad forced me to buy my own box.

Speaking from experience, eh Jonesy?

From this season we are charging from Rs.1,200 to Rs.1,500 for yearly club fee.
This inculdes only the nets rent for the whole season from Tuesday to Sunday(Earlier it was from Tuesday to Sunday) and tournament registration fee.
Also players are encouraged to buy their own bats as club will only provide the pads,helmet,gloves and ball.
Ideally speaking a match fee for each player is around Rs.50 to 60 depending upon the club ground.

Looking at a local team's info sheet: they paid about $1000 for equipment, $1000 for the fields, plus $700 for league dues. Charging $200/player for 15 players covers the cost, and the rest of the players' dues are saved I assume. There are other match day costs that each player will contribute to, but no "match fees" as such.

our university club doesn't charge players anything to play apart from registration fees for tournaments we play in. we get funding from the university to pay for equipment, and we don't play enough matches to rack up many other fees.

£95 season membership
£10 a senior game (£5 for 3rds)
£2.50 a junior game
£2.50 a net session
£1.50 if we want personal use of bowling machine
so roughly £250 on senior games a season £30 for junior games £50 for nets

OMFG.... thats like £425 a season.... not including kit

its an expenisve sport init..... but my club is in an unusual area if u turn left at the gate u enter a deprived area but if u turn right you enter a more then well off estate which fortunatley i live in but alot of my mates struggle to pay.

ye and we nets 3 times a bloody week .... personally the bowling machine takes the piss

Back