McGrath style

phil2oo8

McGrath style

Hi,
I'm 6ft 2in and only 15, my coach as said due to my height i may be succesful of bowling more a mcgrath length. I asked where was this length and he said slightly short of length...does anyone have a graphic image of this as i believe were im pitching it is just too short...also does anyone have any advice on the correct method of pulling your non-bolwing arm down like he does to generate more pace?
This is a bit abstract but what do people think is a good run-up distance and how important is a jump in your delivery stride? i ask this as i stutter in my run-up and my dad hates me doing it :laugh: If u think i should split this on to different pages pm me thanks a load
phil

Re: McGrath style

I'm doing homework right now, but here is a good guide for lengths.

Click here

I'll give you a run down on the biomechanics of Glenn Mcgrath's action later. Meanwhile, are you front on or side on? If you are neither, which direction does your back foot point and what sort of position is your front foot in relation to the back?

im technically side-on although i am slightly more open chested then most side on bowlers (semi-side on like zaheer kahn and mcgrath)...my back foot points towards square leg when im bowling...i look over my non-bowling arm not inside it and i follow through aggresivly...my front foot pints towards 1st slip .
Anything else just ask

I must put a disclaimer that I am not a professional coach and merely someone making observations. Do not blindly imitate Mcgrath, but look to take snippets of the action whilst keeping things natural.

His run up style can be observed by anyone who watches him bowl.

After his run up, he sends the right (back) knee high in the air. The bowling arm goes to the neck and the non bowling arm forms a textbook 'L' shape. He does travel quite far forward with the jump, but it is comparitively less than most bowlers and the distance travelled is more up than forwards. Mcgrath also moves closer to the stumps. This aids dismissals at a high level, but at anything below county level, it would be best to avoid this to keep control and pace.

The front arm extends with the shoulder at head height and the arm angled slightly upwards. At this point, the bowling arm is loaded up by the hip.

I am afraid I misleaded you in PM. It would seem that Glenn Mcgrath is in fact a side on bowler. The back foot is side on and so is the chest. He appears front on because he opens himself up using the front arm after landing. All bowlers are front on at delivery but McGrath makes an effort to do this early. This means that his main bowling muscles are the hips and side.

Glenn Mcgrath's front leg does not rise too high before landing. He does this so that he does not collapse upon delivery and keeps maximum height. The front foot is in line with the toe of the side foot (the front foot is facing straight on, as with most bowlers - facing the slips is not terrible either).

Because of the short delivery stride, he is able to keep the front leg braced (straight). He manages to keep the wrist completely behind the ball too.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/image/317439.html

Although the back is put into the delivery, he ensures not to overbalance at all and to keep his eyes level with no falling away of the back. The stillness of the head is no more evident than the fact that he can bowl with sunglasses in the nets.

Whilst keeping all things controlled, do not forget to power through with the legs, following through with as much strength as you can. Every bowler bowls off his feet and Mcgrath is no exception.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/image/270540.html

right i still don't get that knee thing thats all i don't do by the sound of what you just said btw he is called a semi-side on bowler as he opens himself up before delivery but enyways....so yer some developments on the back knee thing

You don't need to PM me after all your posts, I will read them.

The back knee is the one which is circled. Notice how I power it more forward; Mcgrath powers it higher in the air.

phil2oo8 said:
ok sorry...yer i understand that
But remember, it is crucial to get a video of your action. Obviously, do not expect any miracle cures or inspirational coaching, but Liz may be able to spot a biomechanical fault or I (or others) may spot something subtle but dangerous like a front foot pointing directly sidways or a mixed action.

classic mcgrath: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFqtHXMby-4[/ame]

im sorry this is a poor video...but i hope it helps with my footwork
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfo1D5X9wE[/ame]
i'll make a better one if it is useless

Back