Mental Side Of Spin Bowling

I think from what I know Grimmett was more or a purist when it came down to it, although he's credited for describing the Flipper variations in terms of conventional bowling, the technique and their variety/potential was already established as the 'Click' technique was a used by several under-arm bowlers, he seems to have rarely put them in place in his spells. Bradman tells stories of facing him and being subjected to the over-spinning variation. But I think Grimmett bowled subtle variations of the leg break in a classic style - his stock ball almost all the time, varying the length, flight and speed, getting the batsman to believe he had Grimmetts measure. Then Grimmett was spring the trap - a ball that barely turned or the big leg break, but always an incredible threat because he was able to bowl the ball exactly where he wanted and we're talking the size of a hankerchief, the bloke was a wrist spinning genius. Darths shark analogy sounds like a Grimmett attack!

Grimmett had his own wicket in his back yard and would practice for hours every day virtually. He would end the session by placing a hanker-chief on the wicket wide of the stumps and would only stop bowling once he'd landed the ball on the hankie and hit the stumps 4 or fiver times consecutively! Accuracy and massive revs on the ball was his trade mark and control over his Leg-break variation.

we should know the weakness of the batsmen
You won't always know, sometimes these things take time even if it is during the game. Love your certainty though, great attitude to take into games.

Most people go through changes in length and speed (or at least they should be) on a batsman when nothing else is on, not sure I can recommend your suggestion of bowling full tosses for anything above social grade though.

You won't always know, sometimes these things take time even if it is during the game. Love your certainty though, great attitude to take into games.

Most people go through changes in length and speed (or at least they should be) on a batsman when nothing else is on, not sure I can recommend your suggestion of bowling full tosses for anything above social grade though.
if i would be a cricketer i would see his previous dissmissals and catch his weakness.It may be swing,short ball etc

if i would be a cricketer i would see his previous dissmissals and catch his weakness.It may be swing,short ball etc
By see you mean refer to? Unless you're playing first class or higher it would be unusual to have video footage of dismissals, usually club players are restricted to memory.

Don't think swing and short balls have much relevance to this section (the mental side of spin bowling) unless you're suggesting not bowling at all and letting the pace bowlers do their thing?

By see you mean refer to? Unless you're playing first class or higher it would be unusual to have video footage of dismissals, usually club players are restricted to memory.

Don't think swing and short balls have much relevance to this section (the mental side of spin bowling) unless you're suggesting not bowling at all and letting the pace bowlers do their thing?
I dont think so mate.because wasim akram sharedthat he too referred SACHIN TENDULKAR weakness

mate .im talking about the coaches.they help players in taking the wickets.they also refer the dissmissals of legends like sachin

mate .im talking about the coaches.they help players in taking the wickets.they also refer the dissmissals of legends like sachin
I think we're talking about different things here.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said, insight from senior players and coaches is usually very valuable but how does this have any relevance with the topic of this section "mental side of spin bowling"? I'd suggest that what you're talking about has more to do with tactics and planning than the mental side of the game.

There are two slightly different questions here, one is about psychology, confidence, mental strength etc, the other is a slightly more objective question about tactics and strategy.

I don't really find bowling all that stressful, perhaps because I define myself as a batsman who bowls rather than the other way round. I enjoy bowling because it makes the time in the field go quicker, and being able to contribute with the ball takes pressure off you when it comes to batting. One thing I definitely don't do is think about my action when I'm bowling. I try and get my run up right and then focus entirely on spinning the ball hard and trying to land it on a length.

Tactically, there are about 100 different things you could discuss, from field settings, lines of attack, how to mix in your various variations, how to bowl on different pitches, how to respond to what the batsman is doing etc. Each probably deserve their own thread.

There are two slightly different questions here, one is about psychology, confidence, mental strength etc, the other is a slightly more objective question about tactics and strategy.

I don't really find bowling all that stressful, perhaps because I define myself as a batsman who bowls rather than the other way round. I enjoy bowling because it makes the time in the field go quicker, and being able to contribute with the ball takes pressure off you when it comes to batting. One thing I definitely don't do is think about my action when I'm bowling. I try and get my run up right and then focus entirely on spinning the ball hard and trying to land it on a length.

Tactically, there are about 100 different things you could discuss, from field settings, lines of attack, how to mix in your various variations, how to bowl on different pitches, how to respond to what the batsman is doing etc. Each probably deserve their own thread.

Would love to hear what goes through your mind.

What do you do when the batsman is using his feet well to you?

Do you bowl faster on slow pitches? If so, would that affect your action a lot and how much you spin?

What's your line of attack?

What are the big tactical aspects you've noticed as you've gotten more experienced?

Would love to hear what goes through your mind.

What do you do when the batsman is using his feet well to you?

Do you bowl faster on slow pitches? If so, would that affect your action a lot and how much you spin?

What's your line of attack?

What are the big tactical aspects you've noticed as you've gotten more experienced?

In order of question:

When a batsman is using his feet, you need to beat him in the flight. That is the challenge he is laying down, so accept it. This means mixing up your pace, spinning hard to get some drift, trying a topspinner here or backspinner there. The good thing is that you only need to beat the bat once and he's a goner. I quite like trying a quicker topspinner to get a bit of extra bounce and he might spoon it up in the air.

I find that slower pitches generally mean turning pitches, so I just look to bowl flat and straight and spin the ball hard and try to hit the stumps. Quicker pitches mean more bounce and more pace, but less turn, so you have to bowl a little slower and try and really get everything you can out of the pitch.

I like to angle the ball in to middle stump and constantly threaten the stumps, I don't use an off side sweeper so I don't like to give too much width.

I don't know whether I have many other pearls of wisdom. In my experience as a batsman, I find most spinners bowl too slow and too short, often because subconsciously they are more interested in seeing how much they can spin it than they are in actually getting a wicket. (I know I used to do this). Most batsmen are very comfortable against spinners off the back foot even if the ball is turning significantly. Try and go an entire spell without being cut or pulled. Put a man back straight and let the batsman drive away to his heart's content. If he drives all 6 balls an over back past you for singles, that's a good over. If you are spinning the ball hard then he will eventually miss one.

And learn how to appeal convincingly. Its a real skill that will get you 5 extra wickets a year.

I think we're talking about different things here.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said, insight from senior players and coaches is usually very valuable but how does this have any relevance with the topic of this section "mental side of spin bowling"? I'd suggest that what you're talking about has more to do with tactics and planning than the mental side of the game.

Yeah thats true buddy:)

Can echo what sla says about a strong appeal with two lbws to my name. They were both plum but I made sure the ump knew about it.

Macca, always was a bit of an advocate of the full toss, I know last week I got rid of a settled batsman with a full toss, albeit an unintended delivery.

Can echo what sla says about a strong appeal with two lbws to my name. They were both plum but I made sure the ump knew about it.

Yeah I'm crap at that, but getting better and been given a couple since I started to do it, in the past I've had ridiculous LBW's where the bat has almost started to walk and then realised that I've not appealed and the umpires looked at me and I've just said "Is that out"? Needless to say being in their team - he's said "Nope - not out".

Some really good stuff there SLA

I agree with some spinners bowling too slow. Last season in the nets, I was being charged too easily so I've decided to have a little flatter stock ball and keep mixing it up.

Line of attack would change with how much the pitch is turning wouldn't it? If its not turning, probably middle-off?

Also, anyone found a way to disguise there slower/faster ball well?

Some really good stuff there SLA

I agree with some spinners bowling too slow. Last season in the nets, I was being charged too easily so I've decided to have a little flatter stock ball and keep mixing it up.

Line of attack would change with how much the pitch is turning wouldn't it? If its not turning, probably middle-off?

Also, anyone found a way to disguise there slower/faster ball well?
Personally it depends on the batsman, some pick up on changes in grip/wrist angle while others pick up the trajectory at release.

My regular quick ball uses my index finger as the power with the grip and wrist position staying at about the same place, this acts like a finger spinners arm ball and drifts in. It can surprise batsman if they're not paying attention. If a batsman is set and there appears like there's no way through I slowly take overspin off my stock deliveries (mix up the seam, spin under the ball etc.) and then bowl a quicker legbreak with overspin, this does the job of unsettling the batsman as it will land shorter than the batsman expects and will hopefully take some spin to add to the confusion. Unfortunately this 2nd one takes a while to set up to be effective and in limited overs stuff I'll drop back to an OBS which buys me an over or 2 of time.

I'm thinking of using the square leg spinner released from in front of the hand as my quicker ball. It will float in the air, drift in and is likely to skid on. Thoughts?

Back