Michael Vaughan quits English captaincy

Ljp86

Staff member
Michael Vaughan quits English captaincy

Michael Vaughan has quit as captain of England after his side's five wicket loss to South Africa at Edgbaston. The decision was made at a press conference held by the ECB and ends Vaughan's five year reign as skipper.

Vaughan quits as England captain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty big news. Who will take over I wonder? My guess would be Flintoff but that boating incident in the Caribbean may go against him.

The news now means Vaughan isn't a protected species in terms of his place in the side. If he has a run of poor form, he may get dropped, that wouldn't have happened in his run as captain. Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for Vaughan?

Thoughts?

Re: Michael Vaughan quits English captaincy

********ing disgrace they have also made Collingwood step down as one day captain

Vaughan should have gone, he was pathetic, but deciding the end of Vaughan is an excuse to combine the captaincy again, a joke especially seeing as the only possible option is a South African who was captain of our worst performance this summer in the one dayers

They couldn't possibly give it Pietersen. Just not captain material.

Vaughan won't get a game now.

There aren't any people that standout for the captaincy but they surely couldn't give it to Pietersen.

Ljp86;230080 said:
They couldn't possibly give it Pietersen. Just not captain material.
Only choice now that they have sacked Collingwood as one day captain as he is the only player who is always in both sides

eddiesmith;230136 said:
Only choice now that they have sacked Collingwood as one day captain as he is the only player who is always in both sides

Flintoff?

Ljp86;230212 said:
Flintoff?
After his previous efforts? No thanks, besides still questions over his fitness, only been back a couple of tests

Vaughan needed to go. I've been watching him all summer and he's finished as a player at test level. A pity his knees gave up on him because at his best he was as good as anyone going around.

This is the and of Michael. The only thing holding him in the test side was the fact he was captain. He should of done the bigger thing and retired from international cricket instead of trying to hold on that little bit longer.

Vaughan said he retired to concentrate on his cricket :D

I assume he means County Cricket

Kevin Pietersen has been announced as captain of both the test and one-day teams.

Kevin Pietersen announced as England captain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was pretty quick indeed. I don't think he should be captain in my opinion, not quite the right fit for the role. Wouldn't have minded Flintoff getting it but his misdemeanours plus the terrible Ashes tour meant he was probably no chance. Other than Pietersen, they really don't have anyone who could fit the role. The only other person I can think of would be Andrew Strauss but I can't see him getting appointed.

I believe Vaughan was the best Captain that the England Cricket Team had.

Back