Mike Hussey - Future Australian Captain?

ciza spina

Mike Hussey - Future Australian Captain?

just out of curiosity does anyone think that mike hussey should be captain when ponting retires???????

it's either him or clarke now that gillys gone

i am a massive fan of mike hussey and i hope when ponting retires he makes captain.

re: Mike Hussey - Future Australian Captain?

I think that they should give it to Clarke, because he is younger than hussey and would be a better long term choice rather than having to chop and change,

Clarke is the logical choice due to age but he has to 110% cement his place in the side first and I think there is (well until his 100 yesterday) still a small amount of doubt against him.

An average is not an indication of captaincy potential though. Lara and Tendulkar both average over 50 but would you say that they are great captains? I wouldn't. On the other hand, Mike Brearley averaged a little over 22 yet is considered one of the finest captains of all time. It's about more than averages.

Being realistic, Ponting is only just 33 and Hussey is just over 100 days away from that landmark. If Ponting were to retire tomorrow then, yes, Hussey would be in with a reasonable shout of being named captain. However, Ponting is likely to continue for at least 2/3 more years (I would have thought) meaning that replacing him with Hussey is really non-starter on age grounds.

Clarke would be 29/30 at that time, making him a decent age to takeover and also give the team 3-5 years under his leadership.

I know that Kumble took over the captaincy at near enough 37 years old but I feel that is an extreme case and is unlikely to happen in many other countries.

Re: Mike Hussey - Future Australian Captain?

And you must remember that Hussey is almost the same age as Ponting, so when Ponting retires, Hussey will shortly follow suit, so he definitely won't get to have a career long enough for it to be worth it

Clarke is the only established member of the side who will be there when the greats like Hussey, Hayden and Ponting are gone. So he is the most logical choice for captaincy. Its good that Australia have a definite plan for the future. Not like India where we have so many former/present captains in the team. Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Dhoni and Kumble have all captained the team.

i was reading a book and in it steve waugh said that you r never to old or to young to captain a side

ciza spina said:
i was reading a book and in it steve waugh said that you r never to old or to young to captain a side

Strictly speaking that is true, but being realistic, are Australia going to choose someone who may only have a year of international cricket left in them? They will always go for the guy with the potential to lead the team for 3/4 years plus.

It's not so much about the age of Hussey but the realistic length of his career, especially as he is the same age as Ponting give or take a 150 days or so.

Yeh, you don't want a captain for a year, max, too much change in the team in such a short space of time, you don't want 3 captains in 3 years, it would be better to give Clarke an extra year of experience.

Does anyone know if Clarke will captain the T20 with Ponting possibly out with his front back problem?

i highly doubt they will give captaincy to hussey.. im a big fan of both clarke and hussey... i believe clarke will have it 4 sure.... despite wat has been said in previous posts... i think clarke is already 100% in the team to stay (4 a good while anyway) unless form slumps real bad..... so he is the next choice im sure...

I think they'll say with a batsman - you don't get many bowling captains in cricket. I think it's because when in the field they have to bowl, recover, bowl, recover etc and it means that they tend to focus only on their game.

speaking of hussey has anyone heard of david hussey

i think in 1 or 2 years he could play for australia

David is another one who has missed out due to the strength of the Australian team.

Sadly, like so many others he's nearer the end of his career rather than the start. I'd say that if he is to have any sort of international foray, it would have to be now rather than in a year or two time as he's 31 this year.

Also, I'm not ageist, just realistic, teams want stability and that means players who can offer something for at least 3/4 years, Hussey (either of them) could go on until their 40 but it's unlikely, with 35 being the average age (or so it seems).

Hehe, David Hussey is in the squad for the T20 against India on Friday. And he is very likely to play. And Clarke has been named Vice-Captain

now gilchrist retires so i think clarke will be captain when ponting gets injured..

Back