Mohammad Asif - should he play international cricket again?

mas cambios

Mohammad Asif - should he play international cricket again?

Over the years I've made my feelings towards Mohammad Asif well known, especially in light of all the drug charges that hover around him. Whilst he's a fantastic bowler, off the field he's a joke and damages the reputation of cricket as whole.

He's served his latest ban and is in the Pakistan squad for the Champions Trophy, although he missed their opening game. It's not that they have reservations about bringing in a player banned for drugs but that he may not be match fit.

The question is, are they right in bringing him back so soon after his ban? Also, should he even be playing international cricket at all?

Re: Mohammad Asif - should he play international cricket again?

I must admit he just never leaves the off the field drama. The sad thing is that he seems to be always involved with it. Yes, I agree that he damages the reputation of the game. He unfortunately will get remembered for getting caught with whatever and not for his on the field performances.

two thoughts-
a) if he has done his time under his ban there should be no impediment to his playing again- otherwise we may as well ban all drug cheats for life on the first attempt and i don't know how fair that would be in cases where it is an accident or oversight.
b) as long as India is in so dominant a financial position then a strong Pakistan is in their own best interests to ensure good TV revenues.

Yes, you raise interesting points but I am of the opinion that he should not be allowed to play again ala what professional cycling does to drug cheats. But that is just me.
I also think that a strong Pakistan is a necessity as is the West Indies. The truth is all the international sides should be strong and not a select few.

Back