Mongoose Bat

mas cambios

Mongoose Bat

The latest blog post from Hattrick (The Hat Trick Delivery 23 March 2010 - BigCricket) takes a look at innovations in the game, in particular the Mongoose bat.

mongoose_bat.jpg

As you can see, the bat sacrifices blade length in order to pack more 'meat' in it. Combine with a longer handle and you get something which is more like a club than a bat. Obviously, when contact is made, the ball really goes.

The question is, should it be legal or outlawed? Does it play into the favour of the batsman too much?

I'll add my views in due course but over to you first up!

Re: Mongoose Bat

I reckon if it's restricted to Mickey Mouse T/20 cricket it's not that much of an issue, but what with the complexities of capitalism and the need for everyone and everything to break even at worst and primarily to make a profit, if some bloke in a suit holding the purse strings decides that this'll get the punters in to watch proper cricket - then we're screwed.

People will buy it and you will see one in at least one game this year, I guarantee it. However, as a bowler I'd be quite pleased to see a batsman with it. Ok, if caught right then the ball will go some but the smaller hitting area means there is less margin for error.

Hayden struggled with it at times and it seems few batsman get on with it fully. If you're a bowler who gets a bit of extra bounce then you will certainly make life more difficult. This goes for spinners as well as seamers; it may even make spinners a more desirable option earlier in the game, especially those with a good control of flight and pace.

I also have a sneaking feeling that the faster bat speed through the air will make the slower ball a more potent weapon. Bats will have less ability to check their shot as the momentum will carry the bat through.

The other area is the mindset of the batsman using it - I get the feeling that the hype surrounding it got to Hayden and he went to play big shots that weren't always there. I can see club bats being lured into thinking that a quick 50 is a sure thing, coming out with an extra aggressive mindset and as a result giving more chances. The reward is there but so is the risk.

Yeah you're right a leg break on the off-stump turning away from the bat with variable bounce is going to be asking for sideways stroke with this bat, a wrong un might be a solution with so little bat up near the hands. I'll be surprised if I see one I reckon.

Cost could put some off but other companies are starting to produce similar bats for less. I'll surprised if I don't see one to be honest.

The jury is out for me at the moment... however, it certainly should not be outlawed unless it proves to be dangerous.

I can see the arguments for outlawing the Mongoose but I really do believe in progression and evolution.

This type of bat will bring a different and interesting perspective to the game. I don't think this will be the favoured bat of everybody but for those inclined, I think it will be fun to watch. It will certainly take a different form of training and mindset but I know quite a few young players in their late teens/twenties who could flourish with this bat.

As for Twenty20 Dave, I do think you need a little more tolerance. From my point of view, it is a far better game; players are, or should be, more athletic and it gives the opportunity to show much more flare in the player's game. They have to think and move fast. It is certainly not 'Mickey Mouse'. :)

Not surprising that everybody is trying to cash in on the mongoose's unique style...
Already faced 3 or 4 of them last season, didn't last too long though!

Why should it be outlawed?

Yes it provides loads more power, but it's made from traditional materials made in a traditional manner. The difference being you have a smaller striking area. The pure excitement of the crowd and fans seeing it tells me that it's a much needed innovation.

it makes me think of that aluminium bat from back in the day. however, as has been said, this one uses traditional materials and construction, its just the dimensions that differ.

personally, as a leg spinner that gives the ball a good rip, id LOVE to see every batsman in the country using one of these bats! id have them out all day long. the sole required element in bowling to acheive this would be varying bounce (which is very easy to achieve as a leg spinner through the use of high-rev overspin).

any player that is capable of coping with variable bounce from a leg spinner would be equally adept at playing my bowling with a regular bat, so against leg spin i dont think this design of bat would pose any benefit.

in T20 cricket against defensive bowling though it will give the batsman even more power. at the expense of higher risk in shots. how often do you see a side get all out in T20 anyway? i dont think theres really any harm in added risk in that form of the game. in 50-over and test match though i dont see it taking off. however if it does, it could swing the balance back towards the bowlers a little. at present all forms of cricket are heavily biassed against the bowler (test match is more equally balanced than T20 and 50-over), so anything that can tip the scales back is a good thing. batsmen are arrogant enough to think this bat will work entirely in their favour, they will undoubtedly overlook the risk element and how that helps intelligent bowlers.

I like it, but then I don't.

I think to use this bat a new technique has to be developed for it to be used in longer formats. I'm not one to work out what this technique is, but with it's quite obvious looking flaws against shorter, bouncier bowling, it would need to be developed.

It may have those downpoints about it, but look at the good points as well. With the thickness of the toe of that bat you could drive a yorker for four. With the longer handle a batsman can seperate the hands at each end of the handle to a spinner (or even a fast bowler if they are quick enough) and allow much more control for the glances.

This bat isn't all about bit powerful down the ground shots, but I think it could prove useful for those fine little glances. One hand at the top, one hand at the bottom, get down close to the ground and really be in control of those glances, leg and off side, plus with the meat on it they would come off faster.

As for shorter bowling, maybe some tactic is needed to make it possible. Perhaps gone would be the days of playing with a straight bat, playing across the line, clearing the front leg, wild off side slashes, etc, might be the way of Test cricket.

The meat on that bat means any edges are still going a long way. Any mis hits could still fly to the ropes. Anything half timed is going to the fence, anything timed is going out of the ground. Slips cordons may have to be readjusted and sent back a bit, and more likely would you see one day type fields set in the longer game.

I think this bat is perfect for the drivers in the game. I would love to see M.Hussey go out there one day in a Test with this bat, mainly because his drives are brilliant, and he has the mental capacity to leave anything short alone. Anything slightly full can be punished.

If batsman are going to be any good with it, though, they would pretty much need to start from a young age. It may be years before this bat is used in a successful manner.

I don't particularly what it has the power to do in the game, clear the rope two times over and such, but I do think it could breathe new life into every facet of the game. Having different batsmen with very different bats, each with different techniques and their respective weaknesses.

If someone can get hold of this bat then it would be hugely succesfful, but to do that, IMO your technique would have to be different. The current text book of technique uses the old bat, now the text book may have to be rewritten to include this bat.

I had a play with one yesterday and it is different. I wouldn't want to go out and use one in a game without a decent amount of net time beforehand.

Would it be something you thrust into the hands of one of your junior cricketers and make them play with it from a young age?

Perhaps if you give it to them on the basis of their strengths and weaknesses?

I find it hard enough to go from one normal bat to the other though... would you not agree that to use this bat to the best you possibly could, you would have to bat with it full time?

This is still quite a long, heavy bat, so I wouldn't give it to anybody not tall or strong enough.

I am also very keen on gaining the fundamentals first... in everything. You need to know how to bat all the shots with correct technique before you can really appreciate innovation. Only by knowing something well, can you improve on it :).

Playing with different bats should not be a problem if you are well trained in them. It is the same with most things... I would not use a shotgun if a rifle was better for the task, or a pistol if I needed a shotgun. They are all firearms and all have a broadly similar outcome but different situations call for different strategies.

That's what I was trying to get at before... the different strategies.

Might seem outlandish, but would the 'fundamentals' change with a new bat? Would you not need to keep your elbow high, head over your knee etc etc? Perhaps the new bat brings along a new technique that is safest and strongest.

Older bats require a different technique to newer bats they use more wrist flick and such due to lesser power, but not as much. As this bat is much different, surely the technique must change overly?

Just something I would try by myself, that's all.

You should find it easier than most Boris.

It is more about getting your head around it rather than technique. It has a mindset of its own.

You are a decent batsman who can pick up another style of bat easily and switch back to a cricket bat without thought. It's automatic. You do this because you know it is a different game. The technique is different too but as you are well versed in both, you probably don't even notice.

So it is with this style of bat. Yes, the technique is different but nothing to be afraid of. You need to be softer in the knees and have quick footwork. Obviously, the stronger you are in the upper body, the better but its design for transferring energy will compensate, if you can weald the thing.

I think it is worth a go... as long as you realise that it is a different 'game' that needs a different mindset, and also realise that it will not make you a 'better' batsman [or worse], only give you a different tool for your toolbox.

That makes sense.

What do you think on the future of it though? Will there be a day when everyone is weilding one of these things?

Back