Mongoose Bat

Re: Mongoose Bat

I don't think so, although I do think quite a number of batsmen will try it.

This style of bat will only suit certain players, whether in t20 or longer matches.

Would not surprise me as Mongoose seem to be fairly agressive in signing players at the moment. Problem is that they will need to back it up with sales otherwise they go the way of Woodworm.

Jim2109;395835 said:
whats the betting half a dozen or more players show up at the T20 world cup with one this month?
Unlikely, no player can use it without being sponsored. Suresh Raina took one out in a game against CSK, but the boys in suits soon called it back as it broke his bat contract.

These bats can be made lighter than any other bat on the market, whilst still retaining a decent profile. For Juniors they will sell particularly well, the bat works best when playing straight and provides 20% more power meaning that Jnrs hoping to hit 4's and quick runs get more reward for their shots without playing across the line.

I figure it may be easier to simply make the boundaries even smaller. This should still allow more DLF Maximums, and increase the passion for the game among the populace, without making batsmen look unintentionally amusing. Alternatively, we could allow aluminium bats, or use some other, harder material, preferably metallic but possibly organic, which would improve the game to a possibly greater extent. While initially one may object, recall that they would lead batsmen to take greater risks concerning being caught in the field, which is most probably a more common means of dismissal compared to being bowled, as it is harder to avoid if one wishes to obtain boundaries, the objective of cricket. As is the way with most progress, it shall heighten the risk of a wicket each ball, but at the same time also increase the chance of DLF Maximums, until hopefully they may be added together to obtain something nearing 100%, preferably in favour of the latter. However, it would not be cricket to simply sit complacently and do nothing while waiting for changes, so expect cheerleaders at the Ashes.

evo;395867 said:
...For Juniors they will sell particularly well, the bat works best when playing straight and provides 20% more power meaning that Jnrs hoping to hit 4's and quick runs get more reward for their shots without playing across the line.

If we are talking MMi3 [which I think this thread is], they probably will sell well. In the UK, you can purchase them for as little as £49 all inclusive. However, whether the ones designed for juniors will be used in matches, is another question.

The proportion makes it too bottom heavy, especially if you are including the extra 2oz, and will be like batting with an oar. In a couple of years, you will be able to find quite a few, hardly used ones, at the bottom of junior cricketers' bags. As for using them, let alone hitting 4s, I wish them luck. The main problem for a junior will be coping with the variable height of deliveries; hitting most balls with the handle... if not missing them all together, as they will not be able to get the blade high enough, quick enough! The 20% increase in power and 15% increase in bat speed is academic. Most juniors are unable to use full power and speed with a traditional bat as it is.

The CoR3 series, however, is a different matter.

Liz,

Whereabouts are you based? As I have said in other threads I do some work for Mongoose, so am happy to let you try out a bat with your Juniors. I recently did a day with the Kent cricket coaches and have done a number of days with schools such as Winchester College all of the Juniors got on fantastically with the bat. Only this month one of the England U14's used the bat whilst touring in India and scored 7 6's with it, so they do work. At least for some players.

I'm always looking to improve our bat so I'd be happy to hear your feedback if I sent you one or if you have already used it what your thoughts were.

There far too expensive. I know people will buy them on the publicity alone but they're the kind of people who play cricket for one season and end up dumping all their gear on ebay in september when they faced an u14 who was a bit sharp, and then sensible people can pick up £700+ worth of gear for £300-400. I can't see the average club cricketer spending £150 for the lowest grade model on a complete whim and dream that it will turn them into the next yuvraj. £150 could get you a custom fusion atm or a hell4leather, never mind ur usual GN, Gm etc etc. Perhaps if the price was lower and they got out into the public and people started physically seeing them often and seeing results which would lead to an increase in demand, then up your prices to what they are now, then i can see them being popular. But at £150 i think i'll wait for one of the 2nd team superstars at my club to waste there money, dislike it and bin it in the bottom of their bag for fielding practice and i'll snaffle it off them for £100.

They're £150 RRP Phil, meaning you can pick one up from a number of retailers for £115. When you buy direct from Mongoose for the full RRP you get it custom and handmade in England, more so than of the brands mentioned in your post.

evo;395900 said:
Liz,

Whereabouts are you based? As I have said in other threads I do some work for Mongoose, so am happy to let you try out a bat with your Juniors. I recently did a day with the Kent cricket coaches and have done a number of days with schools such as Winchester College all of the Juniors got on fantastically with the bat. Only this month one of the England U14's used the bat whilst touring in India and scored 7 6's with it, so they do work. At least for some players.

I'm always looking to improve our bat so I'd be happy to hear your feedback if I sent you one or if you have already used it what your thoughts were.

I have not used the bat evo, although I am extremely interested in it. I have used harrow blades with long handles for some years and have found the U15s+ really keen to get their hands on it.

As I mentioned before, I am always interested in innovation in the sport... any sport; I believe it must progress to attract life. Not all new things are progression, take some of the ELVs in rugby union ;). Regardless, at least it gets people talking about the sport... and that's got to be good.

However, I do have my doubts with regard to the younger players... size 4 and 5. As a performance analyst, I have my doubts in the full range of shots. I can see it working well when attacking, and in this case, the more elite players will have a ball with it. How does it perform at grass roots? How does it play with bf defense, for instance, with a less able player?

From another point of view, if a yongster can bf defence with one of these bats, they should have no problem doing so with a trad bat, and going back to Boris' first point, perhaps it can help.

I live in North West Essex, almost on the Cambridgeshire border. If you can get examples up here, I would be more than willing to give it a fair go and report back. I am always happy to be proved wrong... it's the only way I progress :).

One of the main men at mongoose is on another forum, and he's given us good info on them. They're selling really well, as you can imagine the IPL hype is helping, and the fact that they've gotten such good reviews in the magazines. Both types have been given positive reviews, especially the MMi3. You have to remember that bats are graded on aesthetics, all 'english willow' bats are of the same quality of wood. You can pick up some belters at the lower end!

I myself would like to have a go with one, but I have trouble switching from normal bat to normal bat (and as such my average of late has plummetted due to my lack of consistent availability of my bat :D), so I fear me picking up something like this and playing terribly with it, growing impatient and giving it bad reviews.

As I've said before, I have no real problem with innovation in cricket but the more I think about it, the more I have doubts, no concerns, about the mongoose or mongoose style of bats and the impact they may have.

I'm sure that a majority of the publicity that Mongoose put out is true and have no doubt that power is increased and so on. I can understand the benefit of packing extra wood into a smaller space and why a longer handle helps. Whether or not it encourages straight play remains to be seen. I'm not sure 'humans' are innately meant to play straight and the club like properties of the mongoose may bring out the 'inner caveman' in many - however, time will tell on this.

My concern lies not so much with the product but how it takes the game a step closer to the blurring of the lines between itself and baseball. My understanding of cricket has always been that the idea is to score runs, whether that be singles, twos, fours, sixes or whatever. The focus has never been on scoring maximums every ball but it seems the game is heading that way, mainly due to Twenty20 and in particular the IPL. Bats like the Mongoose simply push it that little bit further.

Sure, we are some way off that scenario but it does seem that it's the direction we're heading in. For me and I suppose many, the attraction of cricket is the battle between bat and ball. The odds are stacking increasingly in favour of the bat in the misplaced belief that excitement only comes from high scores. It doesn't and never has - think of how many low scoring games turn into humdingers, tension in the air as the advantages swings between both teams. Indeed, a fighting, scratchy hundred can be just as thrilling as one scored off 40 balls, maybe more so.

I guess to sum up my issue is not so much with the bats themselves but with what they potentially represent. Innovation is fine but a balance has to be kept, otherwise it no longer becomes a fair contest and takes the essence of the game away. Innovations come and go in other sports (predator boots, padding in rugby, spikes/running tracks in athletic) but the sport essentially remains the same, cricket has to be sure that it does so to.

Exactly my thoughts mas.

I've had this thought for quite a while: perhaps a step back in technology is actually a step forward?

Back