Muscle Gain

Auzayr

Muscle Gain

Hi,
I am a skinny fast bowler and I know you should not get bulky for cricket but I was wondering how can I use weights (dumbells) to increase only a little of muscle gain (slightly bulky).

Thanks

Re: Muscle Gain

just workout how ever you want, but make sure you work all of your body, your not gonna just suddenly become bulky from working out so dont really worry about it.

It's not so much that fast bowlers shouldn't get 'bulky', but that they should focus on building muscle properly.

Do you go to a gym or are you restricted to working out at home?

I go to gym once maybe twice a week, however, I have a set of dumbells at home which I can work out from 5kg (not too heavy because Im only 15 and still growing). I do plyometrics and abs work.

Auzayr - Don't feel confined to light dumbbell work; Strength training, when done correctly, will not impact on your growth.

Both Auzayr and Ripping- Leg Break:
Don't put too large a focus on individual muscles. Structure your workouts around compound excercises like Deadlifts, Squats (working yourself up to Single Leg varieties), Lunges, Rows, Pull/ Chin Ups, Bench Presses, Dips and Overhead Presses.

Start light, and consult both experienced or accredited trainers and the extensive literature available to learn how to perform these excercises correctly. Take good form over heavy weights every day of the week - your gains will be far better if you are lifting with good form, and using small weight increments. A lot depends on the program you are using, but I wouldn't be suggesting anything more than a 2.5kg increase on your heaviest set per workout.

If you're visiting gym twice weekly, then you have a perfect opportunity to devote one day a week at home to light cricket specific prehab. Maintaining good shoulder health with light internal and external rotations and push ups, as well as devoting a large amount of time to improving your mobility - focusing on ankles, hips, thoracic spine, and shoulders (note: you should also incorporate flexibility work into your cool downs after lifting, or playing cricket!). Depending on your recovery capacities and how much cricket you're playing, you could also do some light plyometric or cricket specific work, such as box/ depth jumps, walking lunges, jump squats, sprinting, bounding, single leg lateral hops, etc.

Also, if you or a coach or trainer identify a weakness in your body - don't be afraid to target it with single joint/ isolation excercises. They are not the devil - and while they shouldn't make up the bulk of your workouts, used effectively, they can be incredibly useful!

I think a lot of what i've written here would be useful if applied right - but everybody is different a requires different things. What i've described is probably more applicable to an off season routine than in- season, but the basic principles still apply. Read - a lot - and consult coaches, or strength trainers if you're serious about using resistance training to aid your cricket development.

I've bought myslef some weights, have only been using them for about a week but have already started to notice abit more bulk to my arms. I've got 2 dumbells and then the large bar. I use the bar for bench pressing and for bicep curls. I also do bicep curls with the dumbells also. I've also found a piece of gym equipment in our garage designed to help with sit ups, so have been using that also. Tbh though I'm not sure it'll help my cricket much, it's more a confidence thing, would like to have a decent looking beach body by my holiday in December :p

A barbell should be your best friend! All the large compound movements that I've listed earlier should be performed with a barbell.

If you can find a way to incorporate some pull ups you should ditch those curls (at least, mostly).

MV!;29178 said:
A barbell should be your best friend! All the large compound movements that I've listed earlier should be performed with a barbell.

If you can find a way to incorporate some pull ups you should ditch those curls (at least, mostly).

MV you talk great sense.

Anyone needing a crash course in squat form or not convinced that perfect form is worth maintaining..... Here's the sort of strength and power that squatting with good form can give you: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYojAPYILEo"]YouTube - Heavy Squatting[/ame]

that's his form 365lb and up. try to get that form squatting with a broomstick and you'll probably fail miserably.

that is a perfect example of why mobility/ flexibility work and core strengthening is crucial to performance. I imagine that he would be an incredible cricketer with that sort of strength and mobility from his ankles through his hips and trunk...

Back