• Only chucks the Doosra

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

Kram81

Muttiah Muralitharan's bowling action

In your opinion is his action legal?

Personally I don't have a problem with his regular delivery. As for the Doosra that surely is pushing it, especially when he's tired after bowling a long spell

Regardless, I hope idiots don't boo him this Australian summer|@

Re: Muttiah Muralitharan's bowling action

the problem i have with the whole situation is that the ICC changed the rules to accomodate him. It used to be "if in the opinion of the umpire the ball is thrown etc. etc."

Since he has been through all the bio-mechanists around the world it has shown he has a bending arm degree of 14 degrees or around that mark.

So what do the ICC do? change the rules to allow a bowler 15 degrees. If he had a bent arm of 15 degrees they would have made it 16 degrees. Why change the rules for one player? if it affected most of the world - yeah, go for it. But one player?

that's the sad thing about the whole situation, i'm guessing if he was an Aussie, or an Englishman he would have never have seen International Cricket because he would have been labelled a "chucker" and never gone past grade cricket. But because he is a superstar from a smaller nation he's allowed to play international cricket.

I might be wrong, but from memory I thought they relaxed the rules because when they tested bowlers they found that half the the world's Test off-spinners were throwing?

Again IMO the Doosra should be banned, it is too difficult of a delivery to be bowled regularly without throwing at least occasionally.

the original law was something like 5 degrees, because with all the power and the like going into the delivery it was impossible to bowl with a straight arm. then it was spinners 10 degrees, pace-bowling 5 degrees. Most spinners have the range of about 7-8 degrees. Still no dramas - if everyone does it - change the rule - allow it. But Murali does have the 14 degrees or whatever it is.

Changing it for one bowler is what annoys me.

They should have only allowed him to bowl the Doosra if he agreed to testing in match conditions, although you a right, it's encouraging future generations of bowlers to bowl with ********e actions.

I thought the rule was actually a 15 degree bend for quicks, 10 for medium pacers and 5 for spinners. The only problem I have with Murali's action is with the doosra. It's not just that it was almost 3 times more bent above the legal limit at the time, or that the ICC did change it for him. The question is how are batsmen meant to pick it? The doosra is a leg-spinner delivered with an offbreak action. Yes, another new revolutionary ball, but other balls that have been created (from the first known doosra, allegedly created by Saqlain Mushtaq, to reverse swing created by Safraz Nawaz), have that little characteristic that the best batsmen can sometimes pick if they watch it out of the hand carefully. What little characteristic is there that distincts a Murali doosra from a Murali offbreak?

^ I think it is the other way around, 5 degrees for the quicks and 15 degrees for the spinners.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Kram81;198284 said:
^ I think it is the other way around, 5 degrees for the quicks and 15 degrees for the spinners.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It was the other way round actually. 10 degrees for quick bowlers, 7.5 for medium pacers and 5 degrees for spinners. The ICC changed the rule (after deep research into the topic) so it is now 15 degrees for all bowlers. The reasoning for this, is that 15 degrees was the limit where the human eye could not detect that the bowler was "chucking" the ball. After 15 degrees, it became more clear to the human eye.

^ Thanks a lot for the info Ljp, I was totally way off. If you happen to know of any links for articles on the subject can you please post them.

Kram81;198587 said:
^ Thanks a lot for the info Ljp, I was totally way off. If you happen to know of any links for articles on the subject can you please post them.

Hi Kram, sorry for the late reply.

Here are a couple of aticles I found on the Muralitharan chucking saga. This article states that 99% of bowlers throw the ball.

http://http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/141558.html

Here's an article saying Muralitharan's record will always be controversial.

http://http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22866789-23212,00.html

Unfortunately, some of the other links don't work but a lot of what has been said can be found on Muralitharan's Wikipedia page. There's all sort of stuff about the 5, 7.5 and 10 degree rules for spinners, medium pacers and fast bowlers as well as other interesting information. I know that Wikipedia isn't the best source for info on occasions but what has been said there is very good and has matched my own knowledge. Here's the page link below,

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muttiah_Muralitharan#_note-ICC_study

Happy reading. @|

Hey dude cheers for the help but unfortunately all those links don't work now, ha ha. Maybe I should research myself and stop being lazy :D

he is a chucker:D:D
if u bowl off spin you can't bowl a wrungun unless ur elbow is bent

^^ especially the amount he turns it. Doosra should be banned.

@|yeh it should be
the ICC is too soft to do anything to him tho
they changed the degree of the elbow especially for him ... its a joke

I want to know where he got the action from
watching everyone else bowl overarm
why would you come up with a bowling action like that

Tassietigersrule;198109 said:
I thought the rule was actually a 15 degree bend for quicks, 10 for medium pacers and 5 for spinners. The only problem I have with Murali's action is with the doosra. It's not just that it was almost 3 times more bent above the legal limit at the time, or that the ICC did change it for him. The question is how are batsmen meant to pick it? The doosra is a leg-spinner delivered with an offbreak action. Yes, another new revolutionary ball, but other balls that have been created (from the first known doosra, allegedly created by Saqlain Mushtaq, to reverse swing created by Safraz Nawaz), have that little characteristic that the best batsmen can sometimes pick if they watch it out of the hand carefully. What little characteristic is there that distincts a Murali doosra from a Murali offbreak?

He has his hand twisted all the way round so that it's released out the back of the hand seemingly like an offbreak, but then he clicks it out of his hand using his fingers like a Flipper and that puts the spin on it that makes it spin towards off.

Easy - if you're a wrist spin bowler and you bowl the variations you reach a point where you start to mix the variations. If you bowl the Flipper and rotate your wrist "Round the clock" a la Peter Philpott you eventually arrive at all sorts of derivatives of the flipper which are dead awkward to use/bowl. Remember Benaud says he bowled the flipper for 4 years before he used it seriously and that's the bog standard version. The derivitives of the flipper mean you have to contort your wrist in really weird and unnatural positions and the 'Out of the back of the hand version' is the one that is most like Murali's Doosra. You can bowl it with a straight arm and it turns massively towards off, but it's too obvious - the Doosra is a compromise that disguises the ball as an off-break but is then flicked out of the hand Flipper style to act like a leg break.

Back