My batting style

fatesjester

My batting style

Hey guys.

Um basically i play in a 40 over a side competition coming in at 3. Now i have found that my style is like so defensive its not funny. Like the last two games i have scored 4, and 2 and both times spent about 30-40 minutes at the crease. I block anything on stumps and leave out side off. Now both times i got out is because i got fed up and tried and aggresive shot.

I want to know if there is anything i can to help make my game more aggresive and score runs, or if there is anything else i can do.

Cheers

Re: My batting style

the obvious answer is just to figure out how to play shots off of the balls you are defending and leaving. deliveries outside off are usually asking to be hit somewhere, and there are shots to play off balls at the stumps. there is only really one corridor on very specific lengths were the ball is "unplayable", but even then its playable, just high risk.

so the simplest solution is just to practice and improve your shot repertoire. ultimately if youre getting out for single figures whilst trying to build an innings, you might as well get out for single figures trying to slog.

also, if you allow your play to be dictated by bowling pressure, then that only ever ends badly for you. if youre in the middle and youve hit 3 runs in 30 mins then youre always going to be under pressure to start smashing runs, and youll get out. instead, look to be more positive early on. once a bowler has built pressure he will know its only a matter of time before he gets your wicket. if you get after bowlers early on then you dent their confidence and dont allow them to build the pressure. instead the opposite happens, they get desperate and try too hard, and you get served up easy runs.

You need to work on mental skills...

Firstly, emotional control. When you have this in the bag, you can work on confidence. Tbh, your confidence is down due to your technique; you need to keep your head up so you can see what is going on around you. Aggressive shots are fine, but I suspect you mean 'slogging' :).

To play agressively [successfully] takes quite a bit of planning; you really need to know who is where... everywhere. You need to open out your body, especially your chest, and get the back muscles working. Let your body do the talking.

Your footwork is a little concerning too; a bit heavy.

Out of curiosity, how are you out the most? Is it catches or stumping?

Liz Ward;394619 said:
You need to work on mental skills...

Firstly, emotional control. When you have this in the bag, you can work on confidence. Tbh, your confidence is down due to your technique; you need to keep your head up so you can see what is going on around you. Aggressive shots are fine, but I suspect you mean 'slogging' :).

To play agressively [successfully] takes quite a bit of planning; you really need to know who is where... everywhere. You need to open out your body, especially your chest, and get the back muscles working. Let your body do the talking.

Your footwork is a little concerning too; a bit heavy.

Out of curiosity, how are you out the most? Is it catches or stumping?

Wait, what?

Have you changed your style from the last video posts?

You did say you were going to post more but I have not seen them.

Take this one:

4084158783_f258da1b00.jpg

Your pecs, hamstrings and hip flexors are tight. Your upper back muscles are loose. Your stance inhibits quick, clear movement. It sounds harsh but this is quite common for guys your age... it's lifestyle;).

Your head is up in the photo but you look to the floor during your action. Even though your head is up, you are not seeing what you should be seeing... try to get your eyes level.

However, post a new vid from a good practise session and we can get a better idea.

Liz Ward;394633 said:
Take this one:

4084158783_f258da1b00.jpg

Your pecs, hamstrings and hip flexors are tight. Your upper back muscles are loose. Your stance inhibits quick, clear movement. It sounds harsh but this is quite common for guys your age... it's lifestyle;).

Your head is up in the photo but you look to the floor during your action. Even though your head is up, you are not seeing what you should be seeing... try to get your eyes level.

However, post a new vid from a good practise session and we can get a better idea.

Oh yes, i remember. Moved houses so was without internet for a while so thats why no new vids were posted, sorry. My technique has been basically remodeled since then. I have a practice this thursday, so ill get someone to record then.

like the other guys said you look really tense in your batting stance loosen up a little(but not too much) and with your scoring problem, there is nothing wrong with hitting the odd ones and twos, not every one can hit boundaries every 2nd ball. Also its important that you are comfortable with your stance, take simon katich for instance his technique is very unorthordox and is not encouraged by coaches, but it is comfortable and works for him.

fatesjester;394682 said:
...I have a practice this thursday, so ill get someone to record then.

In the meantime, take a look at...

Batting%20Stance.jpg-for-web.jpg

Copyright Quintic. All rights reserved.

I think it is all self explanatory but, other than those marked, pay attention to Graeme's feet, back and right elbow. More importantly... where is your bat facing.

Graeme's backlift is over off stump but, as you can see, he is ready to hit almost anything. Consider what shots you can play with your stance. Can you see the discrepancy in balance? If you need to move quickly, you will get tangled in your kit.

What do you think?

Liz Ward;394815 said:
In the meantime, take a look at...

Batting%20Stance.jpg-for-web.jpg

Copyright Quintic. All rights reserved.

I think it is all self explanatory but, other than those marked, pay attention to Graeme's feet, back and right elbow. More importantly... where is your bat facing.

Graeme's backlift is over off stump but, as you can see, he is ready to hit almost anything. Consider what shots you can play with your stance. Can you see the discrepancy in balance? If you need to move quickly, you will get tangled in your kit.

What do you think?

Yeah i've seen what you've done there. IRL, my feet do line up with middle and are orthodox, just the angle of the photo doesnt show it. My coach reckons its best to have my backlift straight back (which it is, just the angle of the photo) Ill give it a go relaxing my back, see how that goes.

fatesjester;394885 said:
Yeah i've seen what you've done there. IRL, my feet do line up with middle and are orthodox, just the angle of the photo doesnt show it. My coach reckons its best to have my backlift straight back (which it is, just the angle of the photo) Ill give it a go relaxing my back, see how that goes.

Let us know.

I'm not really worried about where your feet 'line up'. It is the fact that they are too far apart and not parallel. You are also over pronated. Unfortunately, none of this is 'orthodox'. Forget the possible injuries, from a bowler's point of view, you do not look the business. If I was to bowl to you, I would force you into a front foot scenario. With your set up there, you would be too slow and off balance.

As for a straight back lift, that's fine... or would be if your stance did not close off all shots other than across the line.

As you say, it is probably the angle of the photo... although I am not convinced :D

Practice got rained off so i couldnt get you any video sorry. PLayed the first day of a 2 day match today. Seemed to have improved a bit. Opened which was a first, and im on 48no at stumps. I've defintly been playing far more agressively, couple of huge sixes against the leg spinner over midwicket :D

Back