My bowling action

Re: My bowling action

for a start you slow down when you come to bowl which means your losing alot of momentum and pace, this may also cause injury as you dont have the the speed to follow through easily, also you could bring your elft leg higher when bowling at the point of delivery to make it more side-on and this should generate more pace.
Also you jump on your front leg into the hangtime position, i dunno if this is wrong but i do it diffrently... i would wait for someone with more expertise to comment, liz is amazing at this. lol im sure you well get loads of help.

im not an expert on this but that is a strange action. it looks like a mixed action as well... the bottom half of your body seem to suggest a front on action whereas the top half is a more side on approach. jumping off your front foot is a bit of a problem too, both of those things lead to injury in my experience (used to jump off my front foot into that hangtime position, and although i found i can swing the ball when i do that i injured myself frequently, and now although i cant swing the ball pretty much at all i am bowling very fast and accurately, at least for an off spinner trying to bowl pace)

So i need to take off on my right foot,that might be hard to change.
I tried to bowl more side on because my backfoot is parallel to the crease.

it is very very hard to change that foot that you jump off with, i find it is easier to do with spin to start with or a slow pace.

i prefer side on bowling myself, but i am a more front on sling type bowler so i only lightly jog to the crease and i dont really get into that hang time position as such. dont underestimate front on bowling though, arguably the two fastest bowlers in australia, tait and lee, are both front on bowlers, but speed isnt everything. wait until liz or micoach reads this... they will be able to help you with that. your feet seem to get into a front on position so i think that means possible injury because you are side on at the top. very hard habits to change but you should.

Boris;356072 said:
im not an expert on this but that is a strange action. it looks like a mixed action as well... the bottom half of your body seem to suggest a front on action whereas the top half is a more side on approach.

Well, I'm no expert either. But...

What are you talking about? His back foot lands at 90 degrees to the stumps. That is a side on action.

i know what he means at first glance i thought straight away of a mixed action, he does have his arm across his body and his foot in the correcft position but his trunk of his body is very still front on.

storm;356146 said:
i know what he means at first glance i thought straight away of a mixed action, he does have his arm across his body and his foot in the correcft position but his trunk of his body is very still front on.

Ah, that makes some sense. I tend to think of the bottom half of the body as the legs, so it confused me somewhat.

sorry for the confusion... i knew what i meant.

as for the hips side on, it depends if you want to be a side on or a front on bowler. your top half is easier to change then the bottom half, so whatever the bottom half of your body is doing is generally what is your more natural action, so whatever your bottom half turns out to be i'd suggest to follow that. a little while ago it was thought of that side on was the only way to bowl pace, but lately it has been shown that front on does less damage to your body, is more accurate and gives you a couple extra deliveries to play around with. but i still prefer side on myself, so its up to you.

side on seems to be the best way to go now that i have rewatched those videos, if you jump off the right foot you would be a side on bowler IMO.

couple of questions:
if you were to shorten your run up to only a couple of paces can you still bowl the same speed?
and since the video is from the side does your arm come down completely straight or to one side, kinda like mitchell johnsons arm coming down on that angle?

Boris;356164 said:
side on seems to be the best way to go now that i have rewatched those videos, if you jump off the right foot you would be a side on bowler IMO.

couple of questions:
if you were to shorten your run up to only a couple of paces can you still bowl the same speed?
and since the video is from the side does your arm come down completely straight or to one side, kinda like mitchell johnsons arm coming down on that angle?

Probably not, thats not my normal run-up but my run-up still needs alot of work

Boris;356164 said:

couple of questions:

Do you mean after i release the ball my arm comes down across my body.

whiteyman;356168 said:
Probably not, thats not my normal run-up but my run-up still needs alot of work

i asked this because you seem to be losing your momentum when you get into the delivery stride and slowing right down. it seems like your run up is made redundant by the fact that you slow down so much before your delivery stride because of your jumping off the wrong foot i think.

whiteyman;356169 said:
Do you mean after i release the ball my arm comes down across my body.

i mean at the point of release. just as the ball leaves your hand is your arm perpendicular to the ground like you have a conventional straight arm delivery or is it further towards say 45 degrees to the ground at point of release?
if you still are not sure i will find some pictures.

Boris;356172 said:
i asked this because you seem to be losing your momentum when you get into the delivery stride and slowing right down. it seems like your run up is made redundant by the fact that you slow down so much before your delivery stride because of your jumping off the wrong foot i think.

i mean at the point of release. just as the ball leaves your hand is your arm perpendicular to the ground like you have a conventional straight arm delivery or is it further towards say 45 degrees to the ground at point of release?
if you still are not sure i will find some pictures.

So what your saying is i need to jump into the hangtime position from my other foot.

Yep just got what you meant i usually have a high arm but in these videos it is getting a bit round arm.

yes. i think. dont go changing too much until someone like liz or micoach say anything if they do... im not an expert, just doing what i think should be right.

if you have a high arm then yes, this should work. just try fiddling around a bit and take vidoes, its pretty hard to alter things without you being able to see them. and post them while your at it so we can have fun picking them apart!

fair enough.

i will be posting my video shortly and i should be able to do one of the action i think you are aiming to achieve.

I have run out of time but will get back to you as soon as poss.

In the meantime, you have a good solid side on action, don't change anything yet. You do have a slightly unorthodox action but is easily sorted.

As for side on... if bowled with good technique, there is no increased injury risk at all. :)

Back