My Bowling Action

bigturner

This is a video of my bowling action taken from front of and behind the stumps. Since this was taken in the evening, couldn't capture the complete flight, pitch and spin. Will capture that in a morning session sometime. As of now, look forward to your feedback/suggestions on what can be improved.

Thanks!

This is a video of my bowling action taken from front of and behind the stumps. Since this was taken in the evening, couldn't capture the complete flight, pitch and spin. Will capture that in a morning session sometime. As of now, look forward to your feedback/suggestions on what can be improved.

Thanks!

It is hard to tell from the clip but your practise area looks a little constrictive as far as height is concerned. It might be stopping you from spinning up out of the hand fully ? Although a space like that might be good to help cure an overlobbing overflighting problem.

The only thing I personally would like to see is a less angled approach to the wicket in your run-up. I reckon it will make you an even better bowler for a couple of reasons as well as making it a bit less stressful on your body in the longer run.

Thanks!

Your foot lands nicely out of the bound side on, your leading arm looks strong, but then as you land at 0:12 you're too chest on and you're looking along the inside of your arm instead of over your shoulder at that point. By 0:13 your whole body is leaning over as if to get your arm vertical where-as it may be better to be more upright and allow the arm to come through lower and more round-armed? Initially I thought you were bowling towards the camera, but the big over-rotation which as I understand is detrimental to your bowling is as Macca has said due to running in at an angle. The generally agreed way to go on this forum is to come in relatively straight - keeping all the energy going forwards and keeping things simple although I'm aware that others will say the opposite elsewhere. Don't take my instructions as being correct, I'm a learner too and there is always the arguement (Peter Philpott) that un-orthodox actions work for some. You're better off getting a few more opinions before embarking on big changes to your bowling if you think any of the comments are of some use. If you do change some of your action I'd say work on one or two aspects.

Looking at it again and at the other angles it looks pretty impressive in slow motion. I'd say try coming in straighter and see what that does. But I'm now more interested in what you feel is wrong as it looks pretty dynamic, you've got a big bound and a very Warnesque long stride into the pivot.

Thanks!

The first and most fundamental rule of coaching bowlers is not to change anything unless you feel fairly certain that you have a specific solution to a specific problem.

As you haven't actually told us of any specific problems, its hard to know what to look for. There is nothing obviously flawed in your bowling action.

Thanks all for the suggestions! Macca rightly pointed out - the space is restrictive & therefore, the angled run up...Not enough space to run in straight :(
As far as flight is concerned, I ge about 8-8.5 feet which I believe is good height considering its about 2-2.5 feet about the eye level of the tallest batsman. The beam over mid-pitch does helps in preventing over flighting the ball. I like Dave's suggestion of being more upright- will probably help in areas I am concerned about.

Few problems I face in my action are:
  1. I push the ball forward towards batsman instead of spinning the ball up and thats the reason I try to lean over. This gives me the the flight most of the times but at the expense of side-spin.
  2. Also, if you look at the bowling arm between 0:12 and 0:15, the arm is not doing a full circle but a half circle which often results in me bowing sliders/top spinners instead of leg break
  3. Lastly, as Dave pointed out, I get the leading arm into a good position till the landing but cant keep the shoulder pointed toward the batsman till the release. Ideally, would like to carry that momentum forward in what Dave would call bowling shoulder over one another.
I am quite happy with the stride, pivot, and the arm speed but I think the 3 points above are preventing me from consistently bowling good leg breaks.

It depends on the age as well because small boy can change his some part of the action.And the age that is 30-40,It would be a problem.
Your action is like mine but not so much.As my action is like Shane Warne.You can see it at()This video is for someblokecalled or junk192 who can guide ,e

It depends on the age as well because small boy can change his some part of the action.And the age that is 30-40,It would be a problem.
Your action is like mine but not so much.As my action is like Shane Warne.You can see it at()This video is for someblokecalled or junk192 who can guide ,e

I beg to differ with that Shivam, I'm 51 and I've changed my action massively over the last 2 years!

Back