My Cricket League Has Adopted 40 Over Win Lose Format

Some decision makers decided that draws could be tiresome and win/lose cricket format should take place next season instead. Personnally I can see no advantages with this format. For example, how does this help with development of the young spinner? In this format are you ever going to try out a 14 year old leggie if the oppo are batting first when you can over bowl the experienced parsimonious medium dobber?

Some decision makers decided that draws could be tiresome and win/lose cricket format should take place next season instead. Personnally I can see no advantages with this format. For example, how does this help with development of the young spinner? In this format are you ever going to try out a 14 year old leggie if the oppo are batting first when you can over bowl the experienced parsimonious medium dobber?

We play this format and bowl 20 overs of spin week in, week out. The importance of taking wickets is not reduced.

Having played both, this format makes more sense to me, you either play to win or go home. I wouldn't want to go back to "playing for points".

I think it depends how good the captain is at making sure everyone gets a reasonable chance, and that in turn relies on a team that wants a fun game and is prepared to sacrifice the odd win. That said, if a draw is possible then you often get some of the lesser teams batting to survive, and that's the time when a spinner is most valuable. I'd always favour a longer format with draws possible.

Back