My Gray Nicolls Fusion (question + pics)

Re: My Gray Nicolls Fusion (question + pics)

Yeah sounds good, doesnt really matter how old the ball is aslong as its not rock hard, i mean, ive seen balls of 10 overs which have had a beating and are good for knocking in, its just 40ov balls tend to be the better softness!

You want it so they're still prominant, and "square," but you want them slightly rounded off, imagine a ball hitting the edge of the bat, the impact would be the wood might be slightly rounded, thats what you want!

yeah suppose so, i reckon the edge ive been working on is complete now, i ll do the inside edge tomurrow then another 30mins on the thick edges/toe

ive noticed that seam marks do still appear even with the cover on, theyre not really visable until you hold the bat into the light and you can only just feel it.
how long should i knock it in to make them not appear ? and people say you just work on the edges/toe of the bat but surely you must have to hit every part of the bat ?

sorry if this doesnt make much sense lol

Yup, you do indeed have to hit every part of the bat.

The seam marks will always appear, maybe some will be more prominant, but they'll always bee there, if you give the middle a blow with a harder ball, and it leaves a mark, if its faint and you can hardly feel it, it should be done ;)

oo ok, because the gn ive got has already got a anti scuff applied to it by gn, so im thinking maybe a hrs knocking in would be enough ?

but no harm doing 2 - 3hrs more a bat can never be knocked in enough im guessing

Well, it can be over knocked in, which deadens the wood but you knocking that bat in for a couple of hours is not going to get anywhere near that point.

Do all over the face of the bat, moving around so you're not concentrating on one section for too long. Start off with medium strength blows then use more force as time goes on. By the end you should be giving the bat a decent whack.

ok thanks for the tips ;)        im gonna try to do 30mins worth tomurrow or maybe a hour (hurts your arms and hands though :( lol) any tips so it doesnt hurt ur hands as much lol :p

Just do it in small chunks, 30 mins here, 30 mins there.

It's better for the bat at it means the wood fibres have more chance to knit together. If you knocked it in, all in one go there is a chance that the wood fibres may 'spring' back and undo all the work.

Do me a favour and vote for us here: Vote. There is a blue button marked 'Killers' with a plus sign under it on the left of the screen, click it to give us a vote!

ok i ll do it in 30 min blocks, i might still try to do a hr tomurrow though if i dont give up within 5mins lol :p

ive voted for simplycricket btw

Cheers! You're a star!

Best thing to do is just put some headphones on, go out in the garden and get on with it. It's a pain in the backside to be honest but needs to be done to get the best out of the bat.

Plus lets be honest, when you've hit the runs, feels so much better to say it was "you," who made the bat so darn good :laugh:

lol true,

@ aa and simbazz, i knocked the edges and the face of the bat in for about 20mins (or more) today in the garden, then got my mate to give me some hard catches and not one seam mark got onto the bat :D so im quite proud of myself lol

now i just want to go down the nets and give it a good playing in, just a few drives/defensive shots, maybe the odd charge down the wicket ;)

Back