My injuries

Timed Out

My injuries

Right got most of them football related but im sure you can help.

Right the first is my back i think ive tweaked something or caught something. On friday night i fell akwardly and twisted my back. Since then whenever i move my body from right to left or left to right i get a pain about 1 hand up from the base of my spine. Its a quick shooting pain but lasts longer if i twist slower. Any ideas?

My second is in my hamstring when i run i seem to tweak something in it near the bottom happens everytime i play or train. Doesnt hurt particularly but i can feel its there and a niggle. Again any ideas?

Cheers Will.

Re: My injuries

Hi Will,

Hamstring first; it's easier ;)

How long do you spend warming up?
Do you perform static stretches prior to the activity or dynamic flexibility?
At the end of the activity, how long do you spend cooling down?
Do you perform developmental stretches during the cool down?
Is there a part of your resistance workout that concentrates on the gluteus medius/minimus?

Back pain next!

Does the shooting pain travel all the way down your leg(s)?
Is the pain directly over the spine or to the sides?
Is there any dull pain at all? Particularly when you are static?

I am sorry about all the questions; you'll get used to them :laugh:

How long do you spend warming up? 10 minutes roughly
Do you perform static stretches prior to the activity or dynamic flexibility? I normally do 5 or 6 static stretches then 3 or 4 dynamic stretches.
At the end of the activity, how long do you spend cooling down? Maybe a minute sometimes not at all.
Do you perform developmental stretches during the cool down? nope
Is there a part of your resistance workout that concentrates on the gluteus medius/minimus? Its mainly running and ball control so i dont think so

Back pain next!

Does the shooting pain travel all the way down your leg(s)? nope just around the area.
Is the pain directly over the spine or to the sides? either side
Is there any dull pain at all? occationally Particularly when you are static? not really.

Cheers Will :)

Warning! Get yourself a cup of tea/coffee or pint of beer and take the phone off the hook before starting this posting :laugh:

A 10 minute warm up is fine for the fit; this should include mobilisation, a pulse raiser and flexibility.

There has been a lot of research around the subject of stretches in recent years. One suggests that performance is reduced by approximately 9% for the first hour after performing them; quite significant if you are a footballer. Other research shows that injury is 10-12% more likely to occur to a muscle during an activity if it was previously stretched statically. I must apologise, I do not have references at hand at the moment.

The ECB no longer encourage static stretches during the warm up phase; favouring dynamic flexibility.

I am sure David will not mind me referring you to the following article. He wrote it with cricketers in mind but it also applies to footballers...

http://www.harrowdrive.com/how-your-warm-up-can-make-you-a-better-cricketer/

...for footballers, I would add hamstring leg swings [with a partner].

It is important to set aside time for a proper cool down. This should include a pulse lowerer and developmental stretches.

The aim of the pulse lowering component is to systematically decrease the exercise intensity. When exercise is stopped suddenly the metabolic factors that produced vasodilatation are still present and the rate of blood flow to the muscles will still be rapid. This can lead to blood ‘pooling’ in the legs, depriving the heart of enough blood to maintain an effective pumping action. If the heart and brain are momentarily deprived of oxygen, it could lead to dizziness, fainting and may induce heart irregularities.

If the exercise intensity is gradually lowered, the massaging action of the muscles against the veins assists venous return, helping to maintain cardiac output, remove metabolic waste products and normalise the heart rate and give the blood vessels time to establish vasoconstriction.

The developmental stretches are to help prevent the muscles from cooling down shortened. Shortened hamstrings are less efficient, therefore, performance and potential can never be maximised. Shortened hamstrings also put a strain on your lumbar area :D

Talking of which, after a little rest, you need to work on the core muscles that support your spine, one being the quadratus lumborum [the one causing you problems at the moment] an important lumbar spine stabiliser.

I suggest the side raise. It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a very useful exercise for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing or running posture.

Research using electromyography has shown that during this exercise, the obliques work very hard to raise the trunk laterally whilst the lower back and abs are working significantly to assist.

Other research has suggested that the side raise is effective for recruiting the qadratus lumborum muscle. The latissimus dorsi muscle helps to stabilise the arm whilst the gluteals stabilise the pelvis.

So many athletes suffering running overuse injuries of the lower limb present with poor gluteus medius function and is probably the most important active component in the achievement of a biomechanically efficient running technique!

OK, if you survived this post and need any more help or clarification, please do not hesitate to come back to me. I promise to make the next posting short :laugh:

Award for the biggest post goes to you Liz, :laugh:, I think i might need a year or so to read through that, i have no idea how Timed Out will read through it, he's busy with GCSE's so that much might over-work him ;)

Liz Ward said:
The aim of the pulse lowering component is to systematically decrease the exercise intensity. When exercise is stopped suddenly the metabolic factors that produced vasodilatation are still present and the rate of blood flow to the muscles will still be rapid. This can lead to blood ‘pooling’ in the legs, depriving the heart of enough blood to maintain an effective pumping action. If the heart and brain are momentarily deprived of oxygen, it could lead to dizziness, fainting and may induce heart irregularities.

If the exercise intensity is gradually lowered, the massaging action of the muscles against the veins assists venous return, helping to maintain cardiac output, remove metabolic waste products and normalise the heart rate and give the blood vessels time to establish vasoconstriction.

The developmental stretches are to help prevent the muscles from cooling down shortened. Shortened hamstrings are less efficient, therefore, performance and potential can never be maximised. Shortened hamstrings also put a strain on your lumbar area :D

That bit makes a hell of alot of sense to me. I often get blurred vision and headaches after football matches. Could be due to not warming down so ill make sure i do. Aslo ill keep to dynamic stretches.

Ive been playing football for 9 years now so my hamstrings are as tight as hell so ill try stretching them and it might sort the back out.

Cheers!

Any other ideas on the vision and headaches?

You are probably dehydrated too Will. You should be downing at least 3 litres of water a day.

I shall hold back with the science bit and the statistics or you'll never get the coursework done ::) Just trust me.

How do you mean by dynamic stretching? I'm guessing it's something involving movement rather than the tradition 'pull and hold' stretching, that I was taught in school?

I often get tight hamstrings in a match and thought I was doing the right thing by stretching them out - what else can I do? (Not a major problem but every little helps!)

Yes, you're right. I remember Alan Pearson [SAQ] describing it as flexibility in action, combined with power strength and control.

So take the lunges; perform the stretch but do not hold. Make sure you start with good posture and alignment; take one leg forward and bend 90/90 lowering knee to the ground *with control*. Before your knee touches the ground, bring your back leg through and perform the movement with the other leg; continue moving forward in this fashion over [say] 22 yards. Concentrate on remaining vertical.

Turn around and return, this time narrow your lunges, as if you are about to demonstrate the ideal long barrier. Rotate and touch the ground, outside the knee, with the opposite hand.

This can be done with lateral lunges too and, particularly for the hamstrings, hamstring buttock flicks. Whatever you do, keep moving!

You do need to perform the developmental hamstring stretches after activity though. This is the only way you are going to improve your flexibility in this area. You need to hold for 10s, increase the stretch and hold for another 10s, then increase the stretch again and hold for another 10s [30s in total]. Do make sure your hips, knees and ankles are correctly aligned though or you will be stretching the wrong muscle.

Liz,

As you can see I've come over to the Dark Side. It all looks a bit more complex than the old forum, but I'll give it a go.

Cheers for your reply today on the old forum re my calf muscle, I posted a response on there that I'm not going to type again, but yes in a few weeks I'll be seeking advice on exercises to get it back in action.

Cheers

Dave

PS where's Ali Malik?

Oh Dave! Nice to see you :D

I picked up your other message, thanks.

We'll see if we can raise Ali, he may have already gone into hibernation :laugh:

Waiting for your next message; if you're a good boy, it will be soon.

Liz

Liz I'm here! I just replied to some blokes email asking me from which forum I'd migrated? I said that coming over to this one feels like I've moved from a little village where I knew everyone to a big city where I haven't a clue what's going on and who's who! It all looks very different and not so usable as Harrowdrive - but I suppose I might get used to it?

I've noticed for some reason I'm listed as a schoolboy? What's that all about - I couldn't seem to change it?

Dave

Where's Ali?

Dave

The 'school boy' underneath your name merely relates to the number of posts you have, of no real consequence to members (but it allows admins to set forum permissions by group amongst other things) but a common forum feature nonetheless.

As the number of posts increase so will your 'user title'. In time you'll get to under 15 cricketer, under 19, county and eventually club captain. We will be introducing a feature that allows you to change you user title in the near future.

Right Gotcha. Do replies count or does it just count up new posts?

Where would I go to ask questions about umpiring and penalty runs and stuff like that

someblokecalleddave said:
Right Gotcha. Do replies count or does it just count up new posts?

Where would I go to ask questions about umpiring and penalty runs and stuff like that
1] Yes, all your replies and topics count as posts.

2] You could post them in the General Cricket Chat forum.

If you have any more queries regarding the forum then feel free to post a new topic in in the Suggestions and Queries forum :)

Back