Nel considers quitting over quotas

Jelly Beanz

Nel considers quitting over quotas

Cricket South Africa's transformation policy has once again cast its shadow over the national team with reports emerging that Andre Nel is contemplating leaving international cricket after being omitted from the India-bound Test squad.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/342153.html

Interesing move by Nel, but you can see his point of view. You would think Cricket South Africa would wnat to keep players what with all the Kolpak signings these days. Any views??

Re: Nel considers quitting over quotas

It's a tough one. I think we all believe that a team should be picked on merit but that in the early days of post apartheid, the non-whites of South Africa needed a leg up. However, I think that the need for help has passed and its time to scrap any such rule.

In this case though it does leave me wondering what is really going on. It seems like a convenient excuse for players to use when they want a get out clause to go off and play county cricket or in the ICL etc.

Anyone who gets dropped because of the system and not because of their own talent has the right to be pissed off. South Africa cause problems to themselves by this policy.

Wasnt he quota system abolished in South African sports a few months ago?
You cant blame Nel for this. I cant even remember when was the last time that Langeveldt played test cricket. I am not a big fan of Nel but obviously he is a much better bowler than Langeveldt and deserves to be in the side.

MasterBlaster said:
Wasnt he quota system abolished in South African sports a few months ago?
Apparently, Cricket South Africa hasn't. Their 'transformation policy' makes it necessary to have 6 coloured players in a 14 man squad.

Intrestingly, Charl Langeveldt has withdrawn from the tour of India.
Charl Langeveldt, the South Africa fast bowler, has opted out of the Test series in India beginning next week, saying the controversy over the selection of the squad so upset him he feels he won't be in the right frame of mind for the matches.

"Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour of India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind," Majola said. "He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best."
Full Article

I guess if this hadn't been turned into a big issue, he would have toured. I can understand his reason as he wouldn't be in the right frame of mind if it was made obvious that he was picked ahead of someone for reasons other than performance/talent. On the other hand, it was a golden opportunity for him to prove that he was good enough to be in the team.

They haven't named a replacement yet, but going by their transformation policy I'm sure it wont be Nel.

It seems to be a good decision since he has had a very successful domestic season.

Yeah sounds like a good choice, but Warwickshire will be gutted at losing him. I imagine they signed him on the belief that he wouldn't be called up for internationals.

This is bad news. I was looking forward to confrontation between Sreesanth and Nel. :p

Why does South Africa has this policy now? I dont think they had 6 coloured players for the Bangladesh tour.

Back