Nets vs Game Day!

Stumped

Nets vs Game Day!

I know we all love playing cricket and parrt of that is practising! Alot of us practise in indoor and outdoor nets (weather permitting in the UK) but sometimes i find it doesn't always help. For example i know that i have been netting since last september indoors on a cricket matt. Now my first game (albeit a intra club game) is this weekend and for me it will be like learning to play cricket again!

Our wicket (outside, Turf) plays and responds completely differently to an indoor net! So all the practise and "making good" i have done i will have to relearn or adjust once we are playing outside again?

does anyone else have this trouble? for me its more being a batsmen as i dont bowl. so mainly timing my shots and playing lower as the ball does not bounce as much

But for a bowler it must be frustrating as a good length will be different to indoors and bounce etc?

any thoughts?

Re: Nets vs Game Day!

Well... adjusting is part of being a good cricketer, you can't expect every pitch to play to your liking, if the bounce is low, stay on the front foot for the first couple of deliveries, when you feel you've got your eye in, you can start experimenting, etc. A vital part of this would be concentration, the moment you lose your concentration would be the moment you lose your wicket.

Oh and back on subject, I don't really mind it as long as I get to play cricket. :D

You're exactly right Stumped. Certainly on Irish and English wickets at this time of year indoor nets are completely misleading in terms of bounce. We always have a few disaster games at the start of the season where people are playing back to a short ball, and then get rapped on the pads halfway up their shin, or clean bowled under the bat.

For me, indoor nets are for getting used to having a bat or ball in your hand again. And for building up a bit of fitness after the winter. Fielding drills tend to be the most important for this, and for getting your coordination going again.

IMO indoor nets are overrated in terms of building up batting skill. They're not bad for working on a bowling action, but tend to be misleading for your length.

You can get a bowling machine to simulate different bounce conditions, i use one to simulate a new ball hitting the wicket hard and bouncing sharply.

Dollar pounds eh? They sound expensive :p

I like the bowling machine, especially when you can get them to swing the ball, and the natural variation. It helps that although it will go to roughly the same area, but will pitch in a slightly shorter maybe, and swing a little less/more. I will definitly get back down to the asap

i'm assuming jugs are bowling machines in your hemisphere?

they cost £1600 over here for a Bola bowling machine! we dont have anywhere local that has them!

:(

might buy one.... wheres the piggy bank!

I'm in a similar position - fed up with being indoors, have got the first outdoor net session on Thursday...

That means I'm getting so excited that actually it's distracting me from work - not ideal when I'm sposed to be handing in 15000 words tomorrow and the day after!

Bah just want get out there and start cracking bowlers around...

went outdoors last week but too cold and the pitch was so damp it was pointless just did some fielding. nets play therir part but you cant beat proper cricket

Back