New Bat Purchase

New Bat Purchase

Hi,
I am planning to buy a new bat preferably Kashmir Willow.
Can anyone suggest with their past experience's which brand is suitable and can u refer the shop in Mumbai as well;where I will get good deal,variety and Quality as well.

Re: New Bat Purchase

hmmm wouldnt have a clue about any shops in mumbai...

but from previous experience... (i dunno how difficult it is 2 get) i WOULDNT! buy kashmir..... good brands.. same thing.. from experience slazenger is great if u like 2 play your shots

Yeh don't buy Kashmir if you have enough money. In India? Buy a Reebok, they are sweeeeeet over there. Or like Gray Nicholls or Puma (do they have them?)

I dont think English willow is affordable in India. Most people opt for Kashmir willow. From my experience I can say that BAS is very good. It was very thick in the middle and the ball used to race to the boundary. I cant remember the name as it was 5 years ago I last saw that bat. I haven't brought a bat in a long time so I cant tell where you'll get the best deals.

If it was me, i would get either a Reebok (first choice) or an SS. They look nice and are quite good quality. My Dad said i should try to find an SS to use when i bought my bat but i couldnt find one. As for a shop, i couldnt answer for obvious reasons

Jonesy said:
Yeh don't buy Kashmir if you have enough money. In India? Buy a Reebok, they are sweeeeeet over there. Or like Gray Nicholls or Puma (do they have them?)
In India; Reebok has outsourced the bat making to SS.
So it is not an option to purchase but Gray Nicholls or Puma can be checked.

I can't really advise on shops in Mumbai but I can say that if you find one with knowledgeable staff they will be able to help to find a good Kashmir willow bat.

Indian willow growers have started a program in recent years where they are trying to bring up the quality of Kashmir through selective breeding - choosing trees that produce the straightest grains and breeding them with tress that have produced bats that have been determined to play well.

Though it's still early days for this project their will be decent bats out there.

As always look for a bat with a minimum of 8 straight grains, that looks to have clean wood (no blemishes, specks, knots etc). If you prepare it well then it will serve you as well as an English willow bat.

As a point off topic, there is actually a world wide shortage of English willow and as a consequence more and more bats will use English willow nurtured in India.

Almost_Austwick said:
As always look for a bat with a minimum of 8 straight grains, that looks to have clean wood (no blemishes, specks, knots etc). If you prepare it well then it will serve you as well as an English willow bat.

As a point off topic, there is actually a world wide shortage of English willow and as a consequence more and more bats will use English willow nurtured in India.
English Willow nurtured in India- Can u explain in details.
and what difference does it makes.

Some Indian bat manufacturers use a willow described as `EWNI` – English willow nurtured in India. This is an English `stock` that has been grown in Kashmir, has English characteristics in looks and grain but Kashmiri characteristics in weight (naturally higher moisture content, see weight below).

It's pretty much a half way house between true English and true Kashmir.

doe 'ewni' mean that it doesn't have as good rebound qualities as a English willow bat say around grade 3

EWNI means that its English willow nurtured in India - as it says, it's English Willow grown in India. This means that it's sort of a hybrid between true English willow and Kashmir willow.

As for the rebound question, well, it's a tough one. I would normally say that average Kashmir willow is akin to a lowish grade 4 English in terms of playability. A good Kashmir bat will be around the grade 3 mark. EWNI, I guess a really nice looking piece, straight, tightly packed grains etc may have similar properties to a grade 2/3 bat but you would only be able to tell by actually using the bat.

In terms of the link you posted, I would stay well away from, the bat in the picture looks horrible and would play like a plank - if that is the one he wants to advertise then the rest must look even worse.

As a rule of thumb, if you have the option go English willow every time. Kashmir bats can play well but it is a gamble.

Back