New Road Floods (again)

Timed Out

New Road Floods (again)

Worcestershire chief executive Mark Newton is hopeful that the latest floods will not affect their preparations for the new season.

No cricket was played at New Road last summer after June 13 - and the ground is now under water again.

"This actually won't make much difference if it doesn't hang around," Newton told BBC Hereford & Worcester.

"If it does, or we get flooding in February or March then that's when it starts to become a problem."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/worcestershire/7188069.stm

Sad news as its the second time in a year the ground has flooded and it really is a nice ground. However with a bit of luck it wont affect them and the ground will be fit and raring to go for the first game of the season.

Re: New Road Floods (again)

This is a shame, my brother once played at the New Road. He says it was very nice, and nice to play on a lush ground.

Why is it so wet there?

Well The UK is flooding at the moment and we're getting repeats of the summers big floods just this time the government are actually prepared for it so its not doing too badly. Hopefully we'll be seeing cricket at New Road on the first game there this season which i believe is april fools day. Am i tempting fate?

Just saw the photo in the paper and it looks a sorry sight.

The pitch is recoverable but its the damage to buildings that must be the biggest headache. Maybe they'll build the first pavilion and stands on silts?

They Said if i remember correctly that everything will be ok when the ground is built to above the flood height. I struggle to understand how that works :confused:.

Timed Out said:
They Said if i remember correctly that everything will be ok when the ground is built to above the flood height. I struggle to understand how that works :confused:.

Probably means that when they re-build the pavilion, the floor level will be at a height which is higher than the level at which flooding normally occurs. So even if it does flood again, the floor level of the building itself won't be affected as its higher than the level of the water.

They will try to plan for a 1 in 100 or 1 in 200 year flood event. In other words, looking at the averages over the years, work out what level the floor needs to be to avoid the worst flooding episode in that time period and then going a little bit higher.

I can't see what they can do with the actual pitch unless they build it up, which isn't really feasible and will only create problems elsewhere anyway.

wow i read that it cost them more than 1million pounds. thats a huge blow to them.

The pitch is obviously on a flood plain as it is next door to the river. If you look at the link above posted Jan 15th they talk about being flooded all the time throughout their history so it's obviously not that much of an issue unless as he says they get flooded through Feb/March. It looks very dramatic though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/worcestershire/6241536.stm

If you look on windows live and type in their postcode WR2 4QQ and use the birds eye view mode you can see the proximity of the river. Interestingly there's 2 other cricket pitches within a few hundred meters that are also right next to the river - I wonder if these get affected as well?

If I remember correctly the two other pitches are slightly higher than the main pitch but still suffer from flooding.

Back