New Variation

Re: New Variation

chrisbell;407825 said:
Sorry Boris, I was being a bit disingenuous. I meant really different deliveries, not variations. I think that this forum has led me to think of a list of leggies deliveries comprising:

Square leg break (maximum drift and turn, no dip)
Overspun leg break (smaller turn, more dip)
Topspinner (dip and bounce, little or no drift or turn)
Out of the hand slider (our version of an arm ball - palmed out of the hand)
Round the loop backspinner (can be called a slider or zooter)
Big googly (little or no overspin, thumb removed from ball)
Overspun googly (thumb on ball, less turn)
Backspun flipper (any number of fingers from 1 to all 4)
Offspinning flipper (turns the same as the googly - from off to leg for RHB)
Overspun flipper (Grimmett's favourite)
Wrong wrong 'un/Gipper (very hard to bowl, turns like the stock ball)
Flying saucer flipper as demonstrated by Benaud in MCC coaching video)

Shane Warne used to claim he had 13 deliveries. i only know of 11 of them. youve listed most, i think you only missed 3, the scrambled seam slider, the big leg break (with backspin), and the backspun slider where you drag your fingers down the ball (not the same as an arm ball). Warnes deliveries that i know of are...

big wrong'un (did he ever really have it though? not in the last 10 years at least)
small wrong'un
top spinner
overspun leg break
square leg break
big (backspun) leg break
zooter
scrambled seam "slider" leg break
finger drag slider (backspinner)
backspun flipper
arm ball (no spin)

then its plausible that he had an off spinning flipper, and a leg spinning flipper. both are fairly subtle variations on the backspun flipper and would have been very easy for him to bowl. otherwise i cant think what other variations he could have had.

i have all of the above apart from the googly, plus a conventional off break, however i cant just pull any one of them out of the bag on demand with 90%+ consistency. ive generally got control around the loop from top spinner to zooter which i can pull out whenever i want. the flippers are very inconsistent, the 2 sliders i can usually pull off but they are weak deliveries that i never use. my "arm ball" is just a seam up delivery bowled off my leg spin approach, i just propel my arm harder before the release with the seam upright for swing. and even though its very obvious, i bowl it about 40% faster than my leg break, and it does catch batsmen off guard!! especially if it swings in at them, which it usually does.

Jim2109;407869 said:
Shane Warne used to claim he had 13 deliveries. i only know of 11 of them. youve listed most, i think you only missed 3, the scrambled seam slider, the big leg break (with backspin), and the backspun slider where you drag your fingers down the ball (not the same as an arm ball). Warnes deliveries that i know of are...

big wrong'un (did he ever really have it though? not in the last 10 years at least)
small wrong'un
top spinner
overspun leg break
square leg break
big (backspun) leg break
zooter
scrambled seam "slider" leg break
finger drag slider (backspinner)
backspun flipper
arm ball (no spin)

then its plausible that he had an off spinning flipper, and a leg spinning flipper. both are fairly subtle variations on the backspun flipper and would have been very easy for him to bowl. otherwise i cant think what other variations he could have had.

i have all of the above apart from the googly, plus a conventional off break, however i cant just pull any one of them out of the bag on demand with 90%+ consistency. ive generally got control around the loop from top spinner to zooter which i can pull out whenever i want. the flippers are very inconsistent, the 2 sliders i can usually pull off but they are weak deliveries that i never use. my "arm ball" is just a seam up delivery bowled off my leg spin approach, i just propel my arm harder before the release with the seam upright for swing. and even though its very obvious, i bowl it about 40% faster than my leg break, and it does catch batsmen off guard!! especially if it swings in at them, which it usually does.

Ive talked about this one a while ago but haven't bowled it for a while. When I was first learning I got the wrong un confused and was bowling it with the back of the hand facing the batsman but my elbow was facing the batsman too. i.e. going round the loop, leg spin -> slider -> my strange wrong-un. Apart from being a contortionist to bowl it and really dropping the left shoulder I see its big benefit is it skids low because of the back spin!

chrisbell;407874 said:
I thought the backspun leg break and the zooter were one and the same?

the zooter is 100% backspin, so it goes straight. the backspun leg break is half side spin and half back spin (or thereabouts), and it turns massive.

Jim2109;407876 said:
the zooter is 100% backspin, so it goes straight. the backspun leg break is half side spin and half back spin (or thereabouts), and it turns massive.

A-ha! What are the differences in the wrist position for those two deliveries?

chrisbell;407877 said:
A-ha! What are the differences in the wrist position for those two deliveries?

just twisting it round a bit further. the Zooter is hard to bowl, i cant really mimic the action unless i actually bowl it, as if the extra force in bowling it allows me to bend my wrist momentarily in a way it wouldnt do otherwise. im working on getting it round a bit further so i can bowl a backspun wrong'un!!

Back