New Video!

TomBowler97

Hi guys, new video showing my action- you can see me attempt to give it a rip, my approach, my follow through and the spin on here!
Please comment on the video either on here or the video itself because I appreciate any tips or feedback given to me!

Thanks,
Tom

Nice, looks pretty smooth.

I would say that you are maybe checking your chest drive somewhat, I would suggest try to bring the right leg around after the release so it lands in line with your front foot.

Hi guys, new video showing my action- you can see me attempt to give it a rip, my approach, my follow through and the spin on here!
Please comment on the video either on here or the video itself because I appreciate any tips or feedback given to me!

Thanks,
Tom

Hmmm, I'm not going to be as positive as Boogie Spinner, but then again I'm no expert at this stuff. I'd try and elicit more responses from a bigger range of people and it may prove to be that I'm wrong, but here goes.

Positives...
(1). I like the speed and energy as you approach and move through the crease.

Negatives...
(1). The ball looks as though it's hardly spinning through the air, so this may be due to you not actually flicking the wrist? Do you do the thing where you've always got a ball and you're flicking it all the time (Indoors - watching the tele etc, this literally means always flicking the ball- having balls strategically placed around the house so your Mum's shouting "Tom, there's another one of these bloody cricket balls on the floor here, can you pick it up and put it away").
(2). Your action looks mixed - not side on enough, I would advise trying to get more side on and that can be sorted by getting your foot to land out of your bound squarer to the direction you're moving, that'll mean you'll be much more side on and your shoulders rotate one over the other.
(3). Your leading arm doesn't look strong - this is a Beau Casson point, have a look at his video where he compares his bowling with an amateurs...

But I may be being too critical?

Hmmm, I'm not going to be as positive as Boogie Spinner, but then again I'm no expert at this stuff. I'd try and elicit more responses from a bigger range of people and it may prove to be that I'm wrong, but here goes.

Positives...
(1). I like the speed and energy as you approach and move through the crease.

Negatives...
(1). The ball looks as though it's hardly spinning through the air, so this may be due to you not actually flicking the wrist? Do you do the thing where you've always got a ball and you're flicking it all the time (Indoors - watching the tele etc, this literally means always flicking the ball- having balls strategically placed around the house so your Mum's shouting "Tom, there's another one of these bloody cricket balls on the floor here, can you pick it up and put it away").
(2). Your action looks mixed - not side on enough, I would advise trying to get more side on and that can be sorted by getting your foot to land out of your bound squarer to the direction you're moving, that'll mean you'll be much more side on and your shoulders rotate one over the other.
(3). Your leading arm doesn't look strong - this is a Beau Casson point, have a look at his video where he compares his bowling with an amateurs...

But I may be being too critical?

Hi Dave,
Appreciate your comments, I have sorted out my front arm now with it being positioned much higher, I have also angled my approach abit more so I can get side on. To be fair, I use my third finger primarily for spinning the ball, maybe I should flick the wrist more forward. This will probably give it more revolutions I am guessing? I have cricket balls in the house and I do flick them from hand to hand but I use my third finger to spin the ball across and not really the wrist. Would you say I should flick the wrist towards the batsman? And then across the body to finish with? If you take a look at the video again and at about 1:06 is where you'll see how I release the ball when I get up top. I don't know if that is considered a flick?

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Appreciate your comments, I have sorted out my front arm now with it being positioned much higher, I have also angled my approach abit more so I can get side on. To be fair, I use my third finger primarily for spinning the ball, maybe I should flick the wrist more forward. This will probably give it more revolutions I am guessing? I have cricket balls in the house and I do flick them from hand to hand but I use my third finger to spin the ball across and not really the wrist. Would you say I should flick the wrist towards the batsman? And then across the body to finish with? If you take a look at the video again and at about 1:06 is where you'll see how I release the ball when I get up top. I don't know if that is considered a flick?[/QUOT

Yeah that looks fine and those balls at the end look a little better than those at the start. But keep flicking - does the ball audibly 'Snap' out of the hand?

How are you seeing that? Is that deduced from not much turn being evident off the pitch?

Thanks,
Tom

Can you let us know what varieties you are trying to bowl ball by ball? Whether deliberate or not there is a mix of leg breaks, topspinners and straighter ones in the video.

Without that I'd say that the varied follow through is a concern. Different variations normally means your bowling arm comes down on different angles after release but your hip and leg should come through the same no matter what the delivery.

Can you let us know what varieties you are trying to bowl ball by ball? Whether deliberate or not there is a mix of leg breaks, topspinners and straighter ones in the video.

Without that I'd say that the varied follow through is a concern. Different variations normally means your bowling arm comes down on different angles after release but your hip and leg should come through the same no matter what the delivery.

These are all meant to be leg spinners

These are all meant to be leg spinners
OK, just keep in mind that when bowling the same variation at 100% you need to be getting the follow through as consistent as possible. Changes in the follow through are a sign that you are doing something different. This is the first thing I noticed and when I saw what the ball was doing it confirmed this.

When we talk about the follow through we mean where your bowling arm ends up and how your right leg comes through.

What works for me is bringing the right leg through and the bowling arm down to the left hip.

Give it a go, if it doesn't work or you don't like it then please feel free to ignore me!

I think the first one or two deliveries it looks quite clear, as it's got a mixed seam?
ah, turning up the video to HD helps, I can see the two-tone ball now!

To my eyes the first two deliveries look like they are delivered with grip along the seam - the first looks like it has a flying saucer quality, landing off the seam. The second looks like mostly a topspinner. There's a bit of a wobble of the red/white caused by the actual rotation axis not aligning with the seam, which might reflect the actual spin rate. But there's a potential wagon-wheel effect with video recording to be accounted for too.

From what I can see of the two-tone ball deliveries, there's a lot of topspin here (in terms of seam positioning).

ah, turning up the video to HD helps, I can see the two-tone ball now!

To my eyes the first two deliveries look like they are delivered with grip along the seam - the first looks like it has a flying saucer quality, landing off the seam. The second looks like mostly a topspinner. There's a bit of a wobble of the red/white caused by the actual rotation axis not aligning with the seam, which might reflect the actual spin rate. But there's a potential wagon-wheel effect with video recording to be accounted for too.

From what I can see of the two-tone ball deliveries, there's a lot of topspin here (in terms of seam positioning).
Ah yeah the old wagon wheel effect. That could be it.

Ah yeah the old wagon wheel effect. That could be it.
1.What could I do to get the seam not mixed and to a nice degree?
2.Also is there any explanation to why it is doing this?
3.Also how lose is the ball in your hand?
4.Do you put it into the palm or right lose in the fingers?
5. Do you have the thumb on or off the ball? I have it on as I struggle to grip others because of my small-ish hands.
6. Is my wrist in the right position and is the ball coming out from the back of the hand?
7. Does my high arm mean there will not be as much spin as if it was at Warnies angle? And could the high arm be limiting the correct wrist position to get a big leg break?

What also confuses me is that last year I took a hat trick with all wickets being bowled and one of them pitching outside leg to hit top of off. So I know I can turn the ball, I am really looking for other opinions because I wanna be the best leggie in the world.

I normally perfect the seam so I do not know if the tape around the ball might be slipping I am not sure really. Let me know what you think to the questions!

You can also see at 1:17 in super slow motion what my release point is and also a question about my grip, are the fingers meant to go over the seam, until this video I didn't realise my fingers slip over the seam, is this an issue as the third finger may not be able to be used properly?

Last edited:
1.What could I do to get the seam not mixed and to a nice degree?
2.Also is there any explanation to why it is doing this?
3.Also how lose is the ball in your hand?
4.Do you put it into the palm or right lose in the fingers?
5. Do you have the thumb on or off the ball? I have it on as I struggle to grip others because of my small-ish hands.
6. Is my wrist in the right position and is the ball coming out from the back of the hand?
7. Does my high arm mean there will not be as much spin as if it was at Warnies angle? And could the high arm be limiting the correct wrist position to get a big leg break?

1. Practice, find a grip and ball position in your hand that means the ball will come out as you want.
2. You are not releasing the ball the same way (hence why I'm seeing you bowl topspinners and straight ones)
3. Loose enough so you are relaxed but in control. If you grip the ball too tightly you can't give the ball maximum spin. If you hold it too loosely you won't have any control.
4. Preferably in the fingers.
5. Doesn't matter.
6. 'Orthodox' leg spin comes out the side of the hand. 'Back of the hand' deliveries tend to be googlies.
7. It means you won't maximise your leg spin but it makes it easier to bowl topspinners and googlies. It doesn't prevent/limit the correct wrist position but it limits the right to left sweeping arm that gives extra revs for leg spin.

IMPORTANT!! It's great to idolise and learn from the bowling action of someone like Warne but you will develop your own unique style and learn its strengths and weaknesses. Don't make yourself bowl like Warne if it isn't you.

1,2: I think you are spinning it pretty much along the seam. I think the main reason the balls are not turning crazily in the video is that they are mostly topspun, i.e. something like 0-20 degrees. It looks like the first delivery is a 'flying saucer' i.e. axis of rotation is vertical. When you have worked out how to consistently produce 45-90 degree legbreaks, let me know the secret!
3: I would say loose, you want things as relaxed as possible
4: in the fingers
5: doesn't matter, you might wish to experiment
6: I honestly don't know. I would experiment and settle with what works best. Be aware that changing the arm angle can change the seam angle of the delivery. Qadir and Sivaramakrishnan are two examples of superlative bowlers with high actions.

1. Practice, find a grip and ball position in your hand that means the ball will come out as you want.
2. You are not releasing the ball the same way (hence why I'm seeing you bowl topspinners and straight ones)
3. Loose enough so you are relaxed but in control. If you grip the ball too tightly you can't give the ball maximum spin. If you hold it too loosely you won't have any control.
4. Preferably in the fingers.
5. Doesn't matter.
6. 'Orthodox' leg spin comes out the side of the hand. 'Back of the hand' deliveries tend to be googlies.
7. It means you won't maximise your leg spin but it makes it easier to bowl topspinners and googlies. It doesn't prevent/limit the correct wrist position but it limits the right to left sweeping arm that gives extra revs for leg spin.

IMPORTANT!! It's great to idolise and learn from the bowling action of someone like Warne but you will develop your own unique style and learn its strengths and weaknesses. Don't make yourself bowl like Warne if it isn't you.

Do you think maybe experimenting with a lower arm is a good idea? See what it is like during a net session?

1,2: I think you are spinning it pretty much along the seam. I think the main reason the balls are not turning crazily in the video is that they are mostly topspun, i.e. something like 0-20 degrees. It looks like the first delivery is a 'flying saucer' i.e. axis of rotation is vertical. When you have worked out how to consistently produce 45-90 degree legbreaks, let me know the secret!
3: I would say loose, you want things as relaxed as possible
4: in the fingers
5: doesn't matter, you might wish to experiment
6: I honestly don't know. I would experiment and settle with what works best. Be aware that changing the arm angle can change the seam angle of the delivery. Qadir and Sivaramakrishnan are two examples of superlative bowlers with high actions.

How do I get the ball to come out at 45-90 degree, is it in the wrist position?

Also is my foot landing on my toes and being high and not flat footed on the landing of the bound important or not? Like does it need to be flat?

Do you think maybe experimenting with a lower arm is a good idea? See what it is like during a net session?
Give it a go if you want, remember that if you don't like it or it just feels wrong go back to what feels right.

Just one thing about bowling. The biggest mistake that people make is that if they feel like they are straining their muscles when bowling then all that effort must be helping their bowling, this is not true. Although bowling does involve some weird body movements the bowling action should be as natural and comfortable as possible. If by dropping your arm it becomes easier to bowl spin and you aren't straining anything then great, if you do feel some extra stress with no extra spin then something is wrong.

Back