Night Cricket, again..

Night Cricket, again..

I will join in the conversation as soon as I get protective gear on...

Should Test cricket go day-night?

Cricket Australia got the ball rolling when it announced that it was actively contemplating day-night Test cricket, taking the traditional (or, more accurately, the oldest) form of the game along the path traveled successfully by the ODI version. CA CEO James Sutherland made the case:

"It makes sense to me that the game becomes more appealing by virtue of it being played at an hour where more people can come and watch and more people can watch it on TV," said CA boss James Sutherland.

"That's got to be good for cricket and that's got to be good for other member countries.

Follow link for more..

Re: Night Cricket, again..

You need the same coloured ball as what is used in other day/night cricket (ODI or Twenty20).

Chandu;197469 said:
You need the same coloured ball as what is used in other day/night cricket (ODI or Twenty20).

A white ball with players wearing whites? impossible.

It would have to be a revonlutionarly ball , maybe like the pink ball the MCC are designing at the moment or perhaps the orange ball that was used in the Australian state competition night cricket that they trialed.

Chandu;197469 said:

White ball won't work. We already know they struggle to go for 50 overs without having to replace them.

I don't really like this concept all that much. Pink or orange balls will be hard to pick up I feel, especially during that "twilight" part of the day which is just before and just after the sun sets. The Australian four-day comp has already tried this and it didn't really work. Trialling it didn't make much difference to the crowds and it was eventually scrapped.

Not the biggest fan of this.

"For the record", Ice Hockey, both the NHL and the old WHA, have, at times, used a "colored" puck, ti increase visibility, only to shelve the idea.

I am a fan of many sports, and I will say I think us Cricket fans are among the most purist of the lot.

I understand the need to appeal to wider audiences, and generate more revenue, but this just will not be well received. What I fear is what I saw happen in the early days of the MLS, where they tried to appeal to wider audiences and ended up alienating the hard core fans.

Guru™;197590 said:
A white ball with players wearing whites? impossible.

How about not wearing whites, instead coloured uniforms even for tests?

OK, so I hear there are some other concerns about coloured balls expressed above. Maybe somebody will come up with a revolutionary solution (one which either will be loved or hated, with no middle ground in between), like a fluorescent ball or something like that.

Orange ball didn't work too well here in Australia.

speaking to many players who played with them, they say it became like watching a fast moving ball of fire, it had a tail on it and you couldn't quite tell where it actually was. It was good for bowlers though, they got it to swing quite a bit.

Chandu;197686 said:
How about not wearing whites, instead coloured uniforms even for tests?.

It will just wreck the traditional game (or if it goes to night wreck what is left of the game). I don't want to be watching pyjama cricket for 90 overs. no thank you.

a ridiculous suggestion.

it should never happen, it would just take the tradition out of the game but if money and support gets put in from India it will happen which will be a shame.

Chandu;197686 said:
How about not wearing whites, instead coloured uniforms even for tests?

Colored uniforms really never bothered me that much, but I was brought up watching other sports before I got in to Cricket, so maybe I am used to it.

I actually think they look rather nice.

Jolldo87;197800 said:
it should never happen, it would just take the tradition out of the game but if money and support gets put in from India it will happen which will be a shame.

It would be funny if some big money financial sponsor from Australia gets in agreement with a big money financial proposal from BCCI (India). If that happens, MCC and tradition will be forced to relent.

I'm not necessarily saying this should or shouldn't happen. (Unlike some of you, I'm not so bent upon sticking with tradition. But that doesn't mean I really want tradition to be thrown out the window just for the sake of it though.) All I'm saying is that things may play out in a way that may be disappointing to many. That's how changes with financial motivations behind them are.

isn't it funny how here in Australia we're hell bent on tradition, but you look at say the US (and even people from the US posting on this board) they don't care about tradition.

having said that, i wouldn't mind a Day/Night Test at all, not all of them, but to do it once a season here in Oz will go alright.

If they sort out a decent ball then yes, maybe give it a game or two trial, but I would be surprised if they can do this.

Back