Off spin. Can't turn it any more.

aliafshar

Off spin. Can't turn it any more.

Hi,

I recently took up cricket after an absence of 15 years! Now I used to be a reasonable right arm off spin bowler (even opening the bowling on occasion) I used to get a lot of turn. This time around, I can still bowl reasonably accurately, but the turn has completely gone. I wonder if there is anything in my action that is causing this, but I am using the same action I used to remember.

According to the batsmen in the nets I am getting decent amounts of dip so perhaps I am bowling more of a top-spin? Certainly I think I am moving my hand with the edge pointing to the batsman, like a karate chop.

To add insult to injury, I used to play some wrist spin for fun, and now when I try, I can *only* bowl a googly, which is turning at least a foot in the nets. Of course I am not accurate with it, so I could never bowl like that in a match, but it's like I am being taunted!

So for advice I would love it if anyone has a frame by frame detailed account of the classic off spin delivery that I can look at and check myself against. I have seen the sticky off-spin thread, and it's great, but more detail on the standard stock delivery would be useful for me.

Thanks in advance,

Ali

Re: Off spin. Can't turn it any more.

aliafshar;347387 said:
According to the batsmen in the nets I am getting decent amounts of dip so perhaps I am bowling more of a top-spin? Certainly I think I am moving my hand with the edge pointing to the batsman, like a karate chop.

A very likely possibility. I have had terrible trouble with wrist positions in the past, both with my off-spin(causing undercut) and my wrist-spin(too much over-spin). My turn with both improved greatly when they was fixed.

I would concentrate on getting the palm of the your hand to face somewhere just to the left(from your point of view) the wicketkeeper before release, rather than almost directly to the side of the pitch. That should give enough side-spin for appreciable turn.

The Edge Of Willow;347396 said:
A very likely possibility. I have had terrible trouble with wrist positions in the past, both with my off-spin(causing undercut) and my wrist-spin(too much over-spin). My turn with both improved greatly when they was fixed.

I would concentrate on getting the palm of the your hand to face somewhere just to the left(from your point of view) the wicketkeeper before release, rather than almost directly to the side of the pitch. That should give enough side-spin for appreciable turn.

Thanks for your quick response. I will try aiming my palm just left of the keeper. Do you have any suggestion as to the level of flexion of the wrist? Should the wrist be perfectly straight with the hand in a straight line with the forearm, or should I cock the wrist one way or another?

The wrist should be cocked backwards at the point of release: your wrist should be bent back towards you with the front of the hand facing the batsmen's end.

Some bowlers use the front of the hand point forward like this (batsman's view):

3510624386_2e364f078f.jpg

Others 'roll' it with the side of the hand pointing more to the batter like this:

3509814515_d7922b878c.jpg

It's worth experimenting with both to see what is most comfortable and gets more turn. When I bowl by very average off spin I prefer the latter and get some turn.

(Sorry about the poor pictures, I took quick snaps)

Thanks a lot for the pictures, they are really helpful. I will be sure to keep you updated as to what happens. I normally bowl the first type. I am going to try all the approaches at the next nets on Monday.

I wish I could help, I have the same problem most of the time yet some days it works, I still dont know what I do differently

micoach;347519 said:
Some bowlers use the front of the hand point forward like this (batsman's view):

3510624386_2e364f078f.jpg

Others 'roll' it with the side of the hand pointing more to the batter like this:

3509814515_d7922b878c.jpg

It's worth experimenting with both to see what is most comfortable and gets more turn. When I bowl by very average off spin I prefer the latter and get some turn.

(Sorry about the poor pictures, I took quick snaps)

Nothing wrong with those pic's who's hand is it and who took the shots?

Me in my garden with my hands all twisted around! Took about 10 goes to get it right.

Back