Off Spinning Variations - Any Variation

Repl

I have been on and off with this forum for a while now, never really posted much on it other then the odd tips and tricks thread.

It is about time I get back into this and help out these off spinners on here! Any wrist spinners with any thoughts that could be relevant on here please feel free to comment.

I am in need of variations for the off spinners. I know the normal variations, the top spinner, the arm ball and changing up speeds but I am more intrigued in the odd and unusual variations that you have heard. I am going to play around with all these variations and post a big thread about them and hopefully help out my fellow spin community.

I have heard of the carrom ball and the doosra, I have also heard about the off spinning flipper which I would like to know more about? Any variation you know of please share on here and I'll do my research.

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFR9n4QKjyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IKWk76Anjk

- Most of the known off spin variations. Something I've thought is underused by off spinners is applying just the faintest bit of backspin on the off spinner, and bowling it with a scrambled seam. That might get the ball to skid on, almost like an arm ball but much less obvious.

/
Thank you! Really good feed back from you. With the back spin, is it just rolling your fingers down the ball rather then over the ball?

You might want to have a go at the (back spinning) flipper - the spinning action is actually quite similar to off-spin, the spinning couple being the thumb and middle finger instead of the index and middle finger. If you can manage that there's other thumb-spun variants too, though I'm not sure anyone can actually bowl them properly.

You could also try using the middle and fourth finger couple (Bob Appleyard, Bruce Yardley)

You might want to have a go at the (back spinning) flipper - the spinning action is actually quite similar to off-spin, the spinning couple being the thumb and middle finger instead of the index and middle finger. If you can manage that there's other thumb-spun variants too, though I'm not sure anyone can actually bowl them properly.

You could also try using the middle and fourth finger couple (Bob Appleyard, Bruce Yardley)

Thanks! Seems very interesting and I'll have to look into them a bit more. Would this be a flicking motion to bowl the ball?

The general idea is that it's like clicking your fingers.

Oh okay sweet, that'd seem like an effort to generate pace from that but I think it's do-able, and also I have seen Swann's flying saucer ball, it's really just a slight change of the arm position isn't it? Very good ball in my opinion if you are able to pull it off.

Dilshan has an interesting variation for an off-spinner.

Basically it's a carrom ball but he gets it in the wrong position so it just swings and drifts in.

Rea
Dilshan has an interesting variation for an off-spinner.

Basically it's a carrom ball but he gets it in the wrong position so it just swings and drifts in.
Really? I am not really familiar with the sub-continent bowlers as I don't get to watch them all that much only when they play Australia. I'll search it up on youtube and have a look!

Hey guys, I had a play around in the backyard bowling the offbreak then the carrom bowl and my version of the slider, I recorded it to take a look at what the actions looked like when changing up the delivery, this was recorded with a go pro so I am not sure if you can see my hand clearly or not, I'll make more videos for you guys soon.
that's the back view of the deliveries, there is another one on there of the front view.

That's really good movement on the carrom ball, at a fair pace too. Looks like it turns more than your orthodox.

If you are really proficient with spinning that one you could try the other Gleeson / Iverson delivery which uses the same grip but turns the other way. It would like like a chinaman to the batsman though, so you would be getting into wrist-spin territory.

That's really good movement on the carrom ball, at a fair pace too. Looks like it turns more than your orthodox.

If you are really proficient with spinning that one you could try the other Gleeson / Iverson delivery which uses the same grip but turns the other way. It would like like a chinaman to the batsman though, so you would be getting into wrist-spin territory.

Yes I've seen the Gleeson delivery and I have seen some other bowlers bowl it and yeah it does sometimes look as though a chinaman is being bowled.. might be able to work on a googly just to change it up if the batsman are picking it?

Hey guys, I had a play around in the backyard bowling the offbreak then the carrom bowl and my version of the slider, I recorded it to take a look at what the actions looked like when changing up the delivery, this was recorded with a go pro so I am not sure if you can see my hand clearly or not, I'll make more videos for you guys soon.
that's the back view of the deliveries, there is another one on there of the front view.

Mate! Is that an artificial wicket in your back yard?

Yes I've seen the Gleeson delivery and I have seen some other bowlers bowl it and yeah it does sometimes look as though a chinaman is being bowled.. might be able to work on a googly just to change it up if the batsman are picking it?
The ball I mean spins away from a RH bat as you are left-handed? So to go the other way you would need a conventional wrist-spin delivery (that's what I meant by chinaman, I'm not actually sure what the convention is).

I am really no expert but I believe the Iverson/Gleeson ball could be wonderful thing on its own. Iverson had really just that and a topspinner and he was a superlative bowler. I confess I have little idea how he got much turn with the grip but it looks like you are putting it to good effect.

Some great variation there, how do you bowl that slider? It looks like an arm ball that swings in a bit. That could be a deadly ball if you disguise it well.

I grip my slider like a normal offbreak however I don't grip the ball as tight and I don't have my fingers spread as much. When I am about to release the ball, I rotate my wrist so that the front of my hand faces the batsman just like a pacebowler bowls a cross seam delivery. From experience in games, depending on the pitch the ball will either skid on or hold up and go straight on.

Nice! Did your old man put in for you or did you buy the house with it already there? That's amazing, you could be the next Clarrie Grimmett!

My old man put it in, the backyard was able to fit in a full 22 yards, however it takes up the whole backyard. I wish I could be the next Clarrie Grimmett!

Last edited:
Back