Offbreakdoosra, An Intro

offbreakdoosra

Hello all,

Inspired by Funk192's intro thread, this thread serves as a (rather lengthy) introduction, for myself, into this spin bowling forum.

I am, of course, keen on spin bowling but have not always been. In fact for the first 14 years of my life I'd played next to no cricket and disliked the sport. Growing up, soccer was my sport of choice.

However, one day back in 2000/2001, I happen to be listening to Shane Warne being interviewed on a UK radio station. I had no interest in what he was saying and was merely waiting for the topic to get back to soccer, but one throw-away comment in that interview caught my interest.

A member of the public had phoned in asking Warney why England spinner Ashley Giles had not worked on a mystery ball. Shane Warne answered politely, careful not to offend Ashley, but within his response he used the words "I personally can spin the ball both ways..." My ears pricked up at this point. I thought to myself "surely anyone can spin a ball both ways".

I was still only 14 or 15yrs old back then but I had spend much of childhood spinning balls around. Playing soccer I'd always use to try to "Bend it like Beckham". I always enjoyed the flight of the curved ball. When my mini snooker table broke, I used to take the snooker balls and flick them around, just to see how they'll spin.

I would even remove the plastic spheres from my dad's empty roll-on deodorants an tweak them between thumb and fingers to watch it spin in the air. I gained much enjoyment from watching the clear plastic ball slowly drift up a couple of metres, before viciously dipping down and spinning about all over the living room floor... (I was a happy child)

So, I relished this new challenge of actually spinning a ball whilst bowling it. A day after that Shane Warne interview, I took a tennis ball with me to the children's playing cage outside my flats (along with my trusty soccer ball).

To let you know, I had virtually no understanding of cricket "bowling" whatsoever. At 11 years of age, I had been made to play cricket in school; once a week, for three months. It was my first time bowling a cricket ball and as I was not too fond of it, I did not give 100%.

It was only at the end of that three months that I finally comprehended the difference between "bowling" and "throwing" the ball. Nevertheless, at the end-of-year inter-school cricket match, where everyone was made to bowl one over, I was replaced by the captain after 2 balls, because, unbeknown to me, I had reverted back to chucking the ball.

Despite this, my new challenge of bowling spinners went well. I simply contorted my arm, fingers and wrist into grip that I thought be good for generating maximum spin and let rip. To my memory, I was definitely now "bowling" the tennis ball rather than chucking it, and it was spinning a long way too.

I was doing my own thing. I had no knowledge of "off spin" or "leg spin". I had no regards for accuracy and I reckon was only bowling it about 12-15 yards (It didn't cross my mind that a wicket was 22 yards). I wasn't bowling to a batsman, I was merely spinning off the soft artificial turf.

Those things weren't a concern at the time. What did concern me was that, despite bowling with three completely unique grips, the ball was only turning the one way... from left to right.

I now realise what I was I bowling was three different types of googlies.

The easiest one to bowl was an over-spinning wrong'un. It's a googly I can still bowl, with ease and decent accuracy. It has a kick, and breaks quickly. The grip is similar to one of Anil Kumble's wrong'uns/Iverson top spinner) The second one was a faster wrong'un which spun a long way. I can still turn my arm over to bowl it but with very little accuracy. The third googly was the most strenuous. It was slower in flight but turned a lot. To bowl it, I would contort myself into an almost "Paul Adams" style action... but I enjoyed the reward of watching the tennis ball turn square.

All these googlies came naturally to me and were unique to myself. (Please remind me to go into to go into greater depth about these deliveries at some point. I'm sure they of much greater interest to all those reading then my life story)

So, for the next few months, the search was on; to find a delivery that turned from right to left (a leg break)... and this is how I developed a love for spin bowling; knowing there was a practical use for the simple joy i got out of spinning the ball.

Soon I was reading about spin bowling at the library, researching it online and watching as much of it as I can on TV. Not only did I eventually learn the conventional types of spin bowling, I also learnt to appreciate the game of cricket as a whole.

Growing up in inner-city London, I found it hard to find outlet for my new found love of spin bowling. Despite the cultural diversity, soccer and basketball seemed to be the prominent sports and I could only find little cliques of cricket.

I found bowling with a cricket ball and bowling to actual batsmen and different completely challenges. With no training or understanding of my bowling technique I became irked that I was not landing the cricket ball, despite spinning it along way. Eventually, I drifted out of playing the game, but I still watch cricket now and again... and always enjoy when a decent spinner steps up to bowl.

By the way, I did finally manage to bowl the leg break; the conventional one and a self taught Iverson/Gleeson style leg break.

I think there is a lot to be said for originality and the unconventional in bowling. As much as I enjoed the technique of Mcgrath and Pollock, I also enjoy the unquie styles of Sri Lanka's Malinga, Matthews, Mendis and Murali.

Anyway, I've prattled on long enough. What I really like about this forum is the different opinions and comments from all the other enthusiasts: the pros, the amateurs, the part timers and the have-a-go's; all trying to have a better understanding of a difficult and niche art.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe I can weight in with my different viewpoint on things... and rest assured I'll keep my comments a lot more brief then this.

Cheers,

Offbreakdoosra

Noted that you're just down the road from me (I'm in Essex), so do you currently play for a team and what part of London are you in as there's so many teams in London. Another edit - just checked your profile - your from Hackney!

I'm actually in Ilford, Essex. I've lived in Hackney for many years and still work there. Spend most my time there too. I don't play for a team anymore, not for the last 4 years or so.

I will have to do one of these at some point. Just not now, I've got 5 minutes before the joys that is work commences! Haha enjoyable read though OBD!

Here's my spin bowling story so far...

When I was 11, I happened to be watching cricket in the summer holidays, australia against south africa. I wanted to be a bowler, because it seemed more important for some reason. I had a lot of spare time, so I went every day after school to the nets which were at the park next to my house. Of course, at the start I could not bowl the full length of the pitch, but I soon was able to. One day I was trying to bowl like my friend in chinese school did, and I turned my wrist so that it was facing completely right. I was amazed that it spun a lot, momre than I had ever seen. I began training with a few guys who were about 16 years old, and they practised with me a lot. One day their club team went into my net, and I asked if I could bowl. I bowled a really good ball and then they let me train with them. Since I had so much time, I could train every day basically, and I also practiced with another team who were about my age. I was really lucky that I lived right next to the park. Those times were very fun! But all good things end, and I had to go to high school, which meant I had high school training. For some reason I feel like I haven't improved much since then, which was two years ago. By the way I am nearly 14 years old now and bowl leg spin.

I'm actually in Ilford, Essex. I've lived in Hackney for many years and still work there. Spend most my time there too. I don't play for a team anymore, not for the last 4 years or so.

I used to play against teams from Ilford on the odd ocassion with Grays, we used to play over at Fairlop waters near Hainhalt and at home in Grays.

Here's my spin bowling story so far...

When I was 11, I happened to be watching cricket in the summer holidays, australia against south africa. I wanted to be a bowler, because it seemed more important for some reason. I had a lot of spare time, so I went every day after school to the nets which were at the park next to my house. Of course, at the start I could not bowl the full length of the pitch, but I soon was able to. One day I was trying to bowl like my friend in chinese school did, and I turned my wrist so that it was facing completely right. I was amazed that it spun a lot, momre than I had ever seen. I began training with a few guys who were about 16 years old, and they practised with me a lot. One day their club team went into my net, and I asked if I could bowl. I bowled a really good ball and then they let me train with them. Since I had so much time, I could train every day basically, and I also practiced with another team who were about my age. I was really lucky that I lived right next to the park. Those times were very fun! But all good things end, and I had to go to high school, which meant I had high school training. For some reason I feel like I haven't improved much since then, which was two years ago. By the way I am nearly 14 years old now and bowl leg spin.

Where in the world are you then Kev?

Right, it'd be rude not to start this now! Bit of free time...
I got into cricket properly at the age of 13, over 8 years ago now, when a friend asked me to play in a match for a local side. I had played before, but more as sort of a "making up the numbers" lark for school. I started off as a filthy left arm medium pacer, with the ability to swing the ball both ways, but equally as likely to bowl a double bouncer or a waist high full-toss! After improving over 3 years, I realised I wasn't having the impact I wanted, so I changed to slow-left-arm. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I took 4-24 in 4 overs on my first outing (midweek 8-ball overs, even more impressive) and I thought "hmm, beginners luck?" but I managed to take a fair few wickets in my first season of finger-spin. In 2009 I passed 50 wickets for the first time, and my much maligned batting and fielding had improved to the point where I won the club trophy for most catches, and best fielder, and DIDN'T get the "golden duck" award for most ducks throughout the season. Had a bit of a setback at the end of that year, being diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but it certainly didn't stop me captaining the side, as well as scoring a few (only a few though!) crucial lower order runs, and doing the job of general club dogsbody as well! Had a slow 2010, moved from my old club due to someone thinking they were bigger than the club, forcing an exodus of about 15 players (bearing in mind we only had a squad of about 20...) and ended up at 2 different clubs, moved to one of them for both days (Sat and Sun XI's) for 2011, had a slow season again due to a dislocated finger, but finished off well, yet still managed to drop all 11 caught and bowled attempts (clearly something to work on!) and now my future is up in the air again, due to not being given a bowl for the first 5 games of the season on a Sunday! Fitting this in round a University French degree, and trying to live like a 21yr old does, fitting in friends, family, an occasional alcoholic beverage, and spending half my life in a gym is starting to get to me! However my passion for the game has never been in doubt, I love it! Spending my current off season on my Year Abroad as part of my degree, not back til May so I completely miss the off-season, back in time for the start of the new one, but will be rather rusty. Hopefully it won't hinder my game, and hopefully I will have sorted a club to be at by then! Far less experimenting with flicking balls around with really cool actions than the original poster, far more fact-based (statistics, and the like), but then again finger-spin is not as fancy as leg-spin, so I'm a fairly no-frills kinda guy!

Long old post for me, my fingers hurt! I have a blog (I know, I know, shameless plug) that probably won't get updated until either a) the new season or b) I have a cricketing eureka moment whilst messing about with my cricket ball on my year abroad! the url is http://beatingthebat.blogspot.com/ , please do have a read of it! If only just for laughs!

Ben

When I was 8, my dad taught me to bowl in the back garden. For some reason, rather than following the conventional route of "this is the bowling action, put this leg here and this arm here etc", he simply demonstrated every different delivery he was aware of. Inswing, outswing, offcutter, legcutter, off break, leg break, topspinner, googly, undercutter, slider, flipper etc etc. and emphasized exactly what they were meant to do.

So I learnt to bowl pretty much every variation before I even knew how to run up to the wicket properly. I couldn't pitch the ball on the cut strip half the time, but by the time I was 10 I could swing it both ways and turn it square in both directions with about seven different bowling actions. I even invented my own variations and when I was 11 i wrote to Phil Tufnell to explain how to bowl them (don't know if he ever got the letter).

Far from this unorthodox coaching being a disadvantage, I honestly think its the ONLY way to teach kids if you want to make bowling fun and exciting and produce genuine matchwinners down the line. Bowling actions are a means to an end and line and length can be learnt later. Getting the ball fizzing around and bending round corners is what takes wickets.

Right, it'd be rude not to start this now! Bit of free time...
I got into cricket properly at the age of 13, over 8 years ago now, when a friend asked me to play in a match for a local side. I had played before, but more as sort of a "making up the numbers" lark for school. I started off as a filthy left arm medium pacer, with the ability to swing the ball both ways, but equally as likely to bowl a double bouncer or a waist high full-toss! After improving over 3 years, I realised I wasn't having the impact I wanted, so I changed to slow-left-arm. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I took 4-24 in 4 overs on my first outing (midweek 8-ball overs, even more impressive) and I thought "hmm, beginners luck?" but I managed to take a fair few wickets in my first season of finger-spin. In 2009 I passed 50 wickets for the first time, and my much maligned batting and fielding had improved to the point where I won the club trophy for most catches, and best fielder, and DIDN'T get the "golden duck" award for most ducks throughout the season. Had a bit of a setback at the end of that year, being diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but it certainly didn't stop me captaining the side, as well as scoring a few (only a few though!) crucial lower order runs, and doing the job of general club dogsbody as well! Had a slow 2010, moved from my old club due to someone thinking they were bigger than the club, forcing an exodus of about 15 players (bearing in mind we only had a squad of about 20...) and ended up at 2 different clubs, moved to one of them for both days (Sat and Sun XI's) for 2011, had a slow season again due to a dislocated finger, but finished off well, yet still managed to drop all 11 caught and bowled attempts (clearly something to work on!) and now my future is up in the air again, due to not being given a bowl for the first 5 games of the season on a Sunday! Fitting this in round a University French degree, and trying to live like a 21yr old does, fitting in friends, family, an occasional alcoholic beverage, and spending half my life in a gym is starting to get to me! However my passion for the game has never been in doubt, I love it! Spending my current off season on my Year Abroad as part of my degree, not back til May so I completely miss the off-season, back in time for the start of the new one, but will be rather rusty. Hopefully it won't hinder my game, and hopefully I will have sorted a club to be at by then! Far less experimenting with flicking balls around with really cool actions than the original poster, far more fact-based (statistics, and the like), but then again finger-spin is not as fancy as leg-spin, so I'm a fairly no-frills kinda guy!

Long old post for me, my fingers hurt! I have a blog (I know, I know, shameless plug) that probably won't get updated until either a) the new season or b) I have a cricketing eureka moment whilst messing about with my cricket ball on my year abroad! the url is http://beatingthebat.blogspot.com/ , please do have a read of it! If only just for laughs!

Ben
I have a look every now and then Ben.

And I yours, Dave, always a good read! Been having a mess about with trying to bowl "the other one" so might have to make a post about that. Gotta keep myself sane somehow...!

And I yours, Dave, always a good read! Been having a mess about with trying to bowl "the other one" so might have to make a post about that. Gotta keep myself sane somehow...!
Nice one - can I just ask when you go to my mpa blog do you see the adverts or have they gone?

Back