One for Darren!

StanTheMan

One for Darren!

Darren,

After seeing your great reply to the eye problem I was wondering if you could give me some pointers (although the net can't beat 1-1 tutition, it may give me a place to start).

I'm not a bad bat but find myself getting tied down to easily, especially if the bowling is leg side, I just can't seem to master anything on that side.

What would you advise in order to allow me to increase the number of strokes I'm able to play on the leg side. Are there any drills or training tips that may help?

Look forward to your reply!

Re: One for Darren!

lol legside is so easy you need to develop some strokes for the leg side. maybe your initial movement makes it hard for you to play on the leg. anyway darren should be able to give a better answer.

I think the initial thing to look at would be the initial movement of your feet.

I very often find that young batsman don't move their back foot across the stumps enough to get into a good position to play leg side shots.

Although all the coaching manuals and coaching courses now say not to coach a "trigger" movement, I think in cases like this it would be beneficial to consider moving your back foot back and across the stumps slightly as the bowler delivers the ball.

What this does is to put you in a better position to move inside the ball to play the shot down the leg side.

What may be happening at the moment is that your front leg is coming straight down the wicket rather than moving inside which will mean you will not be able to get your bat onto the ball as your leg will be in the way.

If you've got a long mirror at home, stand in front of it and practice moving back and across slightly time and time again to get into the habit. Next time you have a net or can get someone to throw some balls down to you make sure continue going back and across. After a couple of sessions you should be starting to get into the right position and hitting more balls down the leg side.

Let me know how it goes.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I completely agree to the importance of "trigger movement".
I wanted to know that on a pitch which offers uneven bounce;what are the key elements for a batsmen to approach his innings including the trigger movement part.

Virender :)

H
Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Hi Darren,

I completely agree to the importance of "trigger movement".
I wanted to know that on a pitch which offers uneven bounce;what are the key elements for a batsmen to approach his innings including the trigger movement part.

Virender :)
i Darren,

Hoping for an advice from the above query.

Back