Opening problem

noone

Opening problem

I am an opening batsman, and have scoring pretty heavily during the last few years. The only problem is I score them really slow. how can i increase my strike rate without taking too much risk?

Re: Opening problem

You can look for the 1's and 2's instead of trying to hit it everytime to the boundary unless it's in your hitting area.......You can do that by practicing in the nets and find the one shot you feel most comfortable with i.e. the one you can smack it right in the middle......... In other words your "go-to" shot.

Btw:

1. What's your strike-rate ?
2. What does your team want's you to do(defensive/attacking) ?

mardo;389659 said:
You can look for the 1's and 2's instead of trying to hit it everytime to the boundary unless it's in your hitting area.......You can do that by practicing in the nets and find the one shot you feel most comfortable with i.e. the one you can smack it right in the middle......... In other words your "go-to" shot.

Btw:

1. What's your strike-rate ?
2. What does your team want's you to do(defensive/attacking) ?

my strike is under 40

my team needs me to after I get in, attack.

Like i told you earlier look for the 1's and 2's first in the start of your innings then go for the big shots later by that time your score will be around 25 from 20-21 balls or less..........don't turn up at the crease and hit every ball into the car park unless you’re Virender Sehwag or let's say Viv Richards. :p

noone;389653 said:
I am an opening batsman, and have scoring pretty heavily during the last few years. The only problem is I score them really slow. how can i increase my strike rate without taking too much risk?

First up there is the school of thought that if is ain't broke, don't fix it. You are successful and do a job for the team. I've played in teams over the years that have had an 'anchor', someone who will stay there for 50/60 overs and score 80/90/100 runs on a regular basis. The beauty is whilst they are doing this, others in the team can look to play the big shots and attempt to pick up the run rate.

On the other hand it is commendable that you want to help the team out and further, increasing your flexibility by looking to improve your game. To do this you need to look at your weaknesses.

For example, are you are a poor running between the wickets? Do you favour the off side over the leg side (or vice versa) or do you struggle against certain types of bowling. Once you have this answer you have the starting point. Work on those weaknesses and try to make our game more all round.

For example, if you're poor at judging a single then work on it. Look to turn 1s into 2s, 2s into 3s and so on. There is an art to it but once mastered it can easily bring 2/3 runs per over extra and frustrate the bowling side.

Although the safest way of scoring runs is keeping the ball on the ground, you will have to go aerial at times. Make it a calculated risk though, only hit out if you have a better than 50% chance of making it. Practice hitting over the top in nets. Use a red ball and a white ball - the red you have to hit on the ground, the white in the air. This will help to improve judgement as well as helping you to hit out.

Work on getting the balls into the gaps. In nets you can mark out gaps with cones etc, look to manoeuvre the ball between them. Take this out to practice on the square but increase the scope.

You also need to address the mental side of your play. Is there a reason why you go slow? Are you afraid of getting out or do you feel that the team overly relies on you to make scores.

It may help to break the game down into small blocks. 5 overs at a time; set a target, reassess and then set a new one. It makes the game manageable and takes the pressure off slightly. Set the targets by the things you know such as wickets in hand, overs left or run rate needed.

Finally, try to work with the guys you are batting with. Partnerships are key as is trusting the guy at the other end. Talk about calls and what you want to achieve. It's no good looking for tight singles or the other guy hasn't a clue what you're up to.

mas cambios;389703 said:
For example, are you are a poor running between the wickets? Do you favour the off side over the leg side (or vice versa) or do you struggle against certain types of bowling..

well, i'm not the quickest in the team, but i can judge a run pretty good. I don't really favour any side and there isn't really certain types of bowling I strugle against.

mas cambios;389703 said:
Is there a reason why you go slow? Are you afraid of getting out or do you feel that the team overly relies on you to make scores..

Well, kind of both of them. I am one of the best batsmen in the team (not to brag or anything) so there is a lot of pressure on me to score and I don't really want to get out early and my coach and practically my whole team expects me to make runs

Whenever I try to start scoring, I get out caught. that's the only way I have gone out the whole season

noone;389738 said:
Whenever I try to start scoring, I get out caught. that's the only way I have gone out the whole season

Be careful not to equate scoring with slogging (which may be the reason for the number of caughts). As others have said there are a couple of ways to increase the scoring rate and if the aeriel route doesnt seem to be working, for whatever reason, try making smaller changes in your game to increase the 'value' for the shots you are more comfortable with

Is it possible your coach can do some sort of wagon wheel to see
a) where you hit the ball, and
b) where you score
It may sound silly but a) and b) may be different ie I had a lad who played very straight and hit a high percentage in the 'v' but the bulk of his runs were gained behind square on the leg side, he just didnt really get full value for the straight shots hitting them to mid on / mid off - we worked on small adjustments like hitting to gaps / positively looking for the quick single when playing straight and his scoring rate went up. So it could just be adjusting a few little things could have the effect you are looking for, best of luck

I have a similar problem. Either I get out in the first over or i have a strike rate of about 20 for the first 15/20 runs then i'm fine. any suggestions on starting my innings?

Back