Opening the batting

Jathu

Opening the batting

How do you tell if someone is a genuine opener?What are the charecteristics of an opener?Also what would be the best ways to face the new ball and problems such as unorthodox bounce and swing in both directions?

Re: Opening the batting

They need to have a good concetrations and ability to face fast bowlers withouth giving away their wicket.

Some one who doesn't give away their wicket, can handle pace, can handle swing and can set the conditions for the rest of the team. None of which I am good at.

Well ive opened every game for the last 2 years in the 2nds XI and i mainly focuse on concentration, and really watching the ball through the hand and seeing out the new ball bowlers. It only gets easier from there on ;)

Mousey;309091 said:
Some one who doesn't give away their wicket, can handle pace, can handle swing and can set the conditions for the rest of the team. None of which I am good at.

So thats why I suck at opening :D I gave up opening this year after a couple of years of mixed results as I much prefer facing the spinners

My main problem was I like to attack, but it was hard to know when to attack and when not to, whether to go all out early or build and if there was any swing, couldnt hit em anyway and would get tied up

loll
yeh i kind of have that problem aswell.
i always tend to want to get off to a quick start so i can take some pressure off myself
There for i can get mi self out by playing a stupid shot haha.

Jathu;308592 said:
How do you tell if someone is a genuine opener?What are the charecteristics of an opener?Also what would be the best ways to face the new ball and problems such as unorthodox bounce and swing in both directions?

The skills have been mentioned above and they are pretty much spot on. Concentration is a must as is footwork. You'll often get the pitch with a bit of juice in, so being able to get forward or back is key.

A good way to think is that as an opening bat, you're job is to only play along the line of the stumps - if the ball is wide or bouncing over the stumps, leave it, it's really not worth the risk.

The ball is going to beat the bat at some point so don't worry about. Focus on the job at hand, which is to see off the new ball/opening bowlers. Remember where your off stump is - a simple yet great piece of advice!

If you're batting in a limited overs game then the urgency is upped a little but the basic advice stays the same.

If the ball is moving then don't be afraid to tailor your back-lift to it, i.e reduce it to give yourself more time to react to a ball that jags or bounces unexpectedly. Don't worry if boundaries are hard to come by, you can still go at a decent rate just by rotating the strike and taking singles.

I would also say that it's important to set yourself a target, say 60+ runs off the first 15 overs or so. It helps to focus the mind and ensures that you're not getting bogged down.

roxy09;309106 said:
loll
yeh i kind of have that problem aswell.
i always tend to want to get off to a quick start so i can take some pressure off myself
There for i can get mi self out by playing a stupid shot haha.

My biggest hate is when I get out playing defensively :p

Good advice as always mas cambios, the target is something I have never really thought of, I always look at the bigger picture, the final target

You do need to consider the bigger picture but that can be daunting at times. I tend to break the game down into 5/10 over spells, set a target and then re-assess.

If you're ahead of the run rate you can back down a little, if you're behind then speed thigngs up. The little targets make the game easy to digest and can help confidence as each one is reached and passed.

eddiesmith;309098 said:
So thats why I suck at opening :D I gave up opening this year after a couple of years of mixed results as I much prefer facing the spinners

My main problem was I like to attack, but it was hard to know when to attack and when not to, whether to go all out early or build and if there was any swing, couldnt hit em anyway and would get tied up

Same with me mate. That's why I try to come in between 5 and 8 as much as possible. Never been good at opening or coming in at 3.

Mousey;309113 said:
Same with me mate. That's why I try to come in between 5 and 8 as much as possible. Never been good at opening or coming in at 3.

Thats where I like to bat, my captain doesnt agree, its either open or 8 and below, I originally took up opening as no one likes to do it and it beats no11 :p Plus I made runs the first time I did. This year I have held onto no8 after giving up the opening, but I fear I'm about to go down even though the captain and the other batsmen bar 2 above me are all failing every innings

I want to bat 4-5 because thats where I have done my best work in the past but the captain has a short memory :mad: Plus I am our sides equal best player of spin and most of those above me cannot play them, a spinner always tears us apart

mas cambios;309111 said:
You do need to consider the bigger picture but that can be daunting at times. I tend to break the game down into 5/10 over spells, set a target and then re-assess.

If you're ahead of the run rate you can back down a little, if you're behind then speed thigngs up. The little targets make the game easy to digest and can help confidence as each one is reached and passed.

Thats great advice, definately something I should be doing now, atm I come in needing 100 off 14 overs or something with few wickets in hand, i should be using targets then definately, instead I just try to hit every over for the required run rate :p

Atleast if I broke it into targets I could think ok, get 15 off the spinner and 2-3 off the quick I cant hit

eddiesmith;309152 said:
Thats where I like to bat, my captain doesnt agree, its either open or 8 and below, I originally took up opening as no one likes to do it and it beats no11 :p Plus I made runs the first time I did. This year I have held onto no8 after giving up the opening, but I fear I'm about to go down even though the captain and the other batsmen bar 2 above me are all failing every innings

I want to bat 4-5 because thats where I have done my best work in the past but the captain has a short memory :mad: Plus I am our sides equal best player of spin and most of those above me cannot play them, a spinner always tears us apart

Same with me mate. I perform well at 5 or 6 usually, sometimes 7, and I play spin very well. I have some trouble with leggies who can turn the ball a heap but I usually just leave it or, if its on the legs play a simple stroke that shouldn't get me out. That's why I like middle order, you can play spin and you sometimes get the medium pacers too. Opening is too difficult.

Self confidence.

If you're opening the batting against a brand new pill, regardless of how flat or difficult the wicket is, the second self doubt creeps in, you're a goner. An opening batsman can be technically perfect, have a fantastic temperement and do all the right things (i.e. break the game down into small targets, etc), but if they aren't entirely positive about their own abilities, all that other stuff is meaningless.

If you look at international cricket - there are very few international opening batsman that are technically perfect. The best in the last 10 years (i.e. Sehwag, Smith, Hayden, Langer, Trescothick, etc.) have hardly been the most technically proficient batsman in their sides - instead they've been supremely confident, and never let themselves think about going out.

Mousey;309317 said:
Same with me mate. I perform well at 5 or 6 usually, sometimes 7, and I play spin very well. I have some trouble with leggies who can turn the ball a heap but I usually just leave it or, if its on the legs play a simple stroke that shouldn't get me out. That's why I like middle order, you can play spin and you sometimes get the medium pacers too. Opening is too difficult.
Leg Spinners who turn it heaps I find the easiest as long as you dont lose your cool, if its outside leg stump and really spinning then no need to play at really, if its short then try and put it away but I mostly wait untill they toss it up too full or give you width on the off side

We have one in our side and I amazed at the wickets he gets, batsmen see spinner and think slog, they will usually get quite a few runs off him but they dont pick the ball to attack, they attack em all and eventually get out

I opened but it was easy as my opening partner was a rep opener so all I did was rotate the strike and we put on a partnership of 46 against the best team in the comp.

So I can open as long as the other opener is a gun. :D

im pretty proud, my first game of junior cricket i opened the batting in a 30/30 and didnt where i thigh-pad. Got copped a ripper on the thigh from the oppositions captain. I soon learnt my lesson. Second top scored for out team with 7 lol, pretty terrible team. made 60 and the tohet eam went on to make 160, terrible terrible team with only 6 good players and 10 shithouse ones. we have a team of 16 :eek:

i am 14.
last season i was opening for the u13s and i made scores of 21no 24no 15 18 23 25 and 30 which is a fairly good season.
now for th u15s i open with my highest score being 5.
the problem is i never know when top start the playing shots.
it is a 50 over game so does anyone have any advice on how to play the opening bowlers and when to attack?

roylandroos;313365 said:
i am 14.
last season i was opening for the u13s and i made scores of 21no 24no 15 18 23 25 and 30 which is a fairly good season.
now for th u15s i open with my highest score being 5.
the problem is i never know when top start the playing shots.
it is a 50 over game so does anyone have any advice on how to play the opening bowlers and when to attack?

The first few overs you shouldn't be looking to score unless the oppurtunity presents itself.

Once you have faced around 20 balls your eye should be in. You will know when your eye is in becuase you will be finding the middle even when defending and you will be seeing it well. Once your eye is in you then can start to attack don't go overboard just look to score of every ball.

Back