Opening the batting

Re: Opening the batting

Hi roylandroos,

Have a look at:

Liz Ward;241396 said:
I am a great believer of playing oneself in, however, this should start long before you stand at the crease!

...when you walk in, off, on and straight drives are safe shots to play as the bat is behind the ball for the longest amount of time, compared to other shots. Play a straight bat with good technique whilst judging the correct length of the drive and you will not get out. Try to stroke the ball; not hit it hard at the beginning.

The flick off the legs is a safe shot for good batsmen to accumulate runs. The ball is outside the leg stump so you cannot get bowled or LBW. Again, stroke the ball.

Similarly, leg glances are safe against a fast bowler; use the pace of the ball to steer it towards fine leg.

If you are confident with the cut, it is useful to put away a bad ball against a fast bowler but do not use it early, on a wicket with uneven bounce.

Only use the pull to put away a bad ball from a spin bowler on a wicket with true bounce.

Leave the cover drives until you get your eye in and you are used to the pace and bounce of the pitch...

As grapedo says, in a 50 over game you have time to play yourself in... take it!

Also:

Liz Ward;262726 said:
It's personal... psychologically, outcome targets can be self defeating; other posts on this thread bear testament to that :D

In the perfect World, a batsman should be concerned about the way he is playing; stance and backswing (without getting these in order he/she cannot play any shot 'correctly'), relaxing into the movement, hand/eye coordination, timing, hitting the ball in the middle etc.

Playing the right shot for the ball; playing themselves in with the off, on and straight drives, flicks off the legs, leg glances, cut, pull and being aware of the danger zones - it's as much about knowing what to leave as well as how to hit the ones you want to ;)

Give yourself process targets and the runs will look after themselves.

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni did not think about the finished article when he painted the Sistine Chapel; it was about the subject, light, colours and personal flare. Each little process was conducted with great care and diligence, the end result is just that... an end result... but what a result! Look after the processes of batting and your end result will be a high score :D

As for not being settled until the ball hits the boundary... a single run for each ball of the over is far better than a 4 followed by a catch ;) You need to be content [settled] from the outset and everything will fall in place. Waiting for that boundary will make you uptight and tense until it comes, putting you at risk of failure.

They are not totally specific posts but will give you something to think about.

I find myself very lucky. I open with a slogger. I just tend to stay in, give him the strike, and once he gets himself out (around the 15th over and if we're lucky he dosen't) I go for it. I play 30 over cricket U/15's this year.

To be honest, the characteristics of a good opener are no different from any other good batsman. There is just as much scope for aggressive opening batsmen as for defensive blockers. The main thing is that they should want to open, and they should be in the top 4-5 batsmen in the team. A preference for playing pace might help, but that's less relevant than overall skill level.

If it's a 50 overs a side game the important thing for the openers is to build a platform so that the middle order hitters can cash in. At first the ball is hard and probably will move around so it's absolutely key to stay patient, value your wicket and don't get anxious if you havent hit a boundary in a while. Try to rotate the strike to keep the scoreboard moving, but remember it will get easier once the shine has gone and the change bowlers come on. A good technique and a lot of patience is what's needed (from at least one of the openers).

I am an opening batsman but not the traditional kind...
I am very defensive and usually give away my wicket when I begin to play bigger shots because I just can't do it. I can't manage to prepare myself to hit the ball hard because my first instinct is to play a more controlled, technical shot. I do not make many runs and I am usually paired with an opener that can go for runs and confidently hit the ball. Last season for example, Every innings I batted in I stayed in for more overs than runs made. My highest score was 24 from 26 overs (I am only 15 so this was under 16's) so I am definately not a typical opener

I am an opening batsman but not the traditional kind...
I am very defensive and usually give away my wicket when I begin to play bigger shots because I just can't do it. I can't manage to prepare myself to hit the ball hard because my first instinct is to play a more controlled, technical shot. I do not make many runs and I am usually paired with an opener that can go for runs and confidently hit the ball. Last season for example, Every innings I batted in I stayed in for more overs than runs made. My highest score was 24 from 26 overs (I am only 15 so this was under 16's) so I am definately not a typical opener
Bazza, there is a role for an opener who can stay in and play second fiddle to a more aggressive partner. But the defensive opener still needs to score. Important to stroke the ball into the gaps, look for quick singles to rotate the strike so that the more aggressive batter can get a good share of the strike. You need to avoid too many dot balls allowing the bowlers to build pressure and frustrating your batting partner. Also look to develop some shots so you can move up through the gears, this way you don't have to switch from defensive mode to going for the big shot (which gets you out). For an opener My preference is really work on the straight bat shots, e.g straight drive and cover/ on drive for the big runs. As you grow you will get stronger and if your technique is sound hopefully you can get more confident playing your shots and scoring quicker.

Ive always thought the opening batsman needs to be strong willed and comfortable in making the big decisions on big hits. Big runs to open the account is whats needed, although a defensive batter paired with a big hitter can work to keep the longevity of the opening pair.

Anybody can open the batting. Only the balance of the innings changes with who takes up the role, but the total amount of runs ends up being similar. By chatting to blokes at my club (who are capable of playing), I think they talk/worry themselves out of doing it. So much bs talk about a swinging ball and taking the shine off of it and how some are more suited to facing it than others :rolleyes: To the point where anybody who wants do do it can, as long as it's not them :rolleyes:

Anybody can open the batting. Only the balance of the innings changes with who takes up the role, but the total amount of runs ends up being similar. By chatting to blokes at my club (who are capable of playing), I think they talk/worry themselves out of doing it. So much bs talk about a swinging ball and taking the shine off of it and how some are more suited to facing it than others :rolleyes: To the point where anybody who wants do do it can, as long as it's not them :rolleyes:

I cant play now due to injury, but when I did play I loved being early in the order. Being able to walk out as first in the batting order, get the runs down and build the morale of the team...gave me a sense of pride.

Being able to walk out as first in the batting order, get the runs down and build the morale of the team...gave me a sense of pride.
Definite advantages to opening
1- you always get a bat
2- there is the chance to score big runs
You do need the confidence to face down the quicks with the new ball.
Some players dont fancy it and prefer to wait for their chance to biff the change bowlers when the ball is a bit softer. But it is an honour to be asked to open So if you get the chance, definitely go for it.

Definite advantages to opening
1- you always get a bat
2- there is the chance to score big runs
You do need the confidence to face down the quicks with the new ball.
Some players dont fancy it and prefer to wait for their chance to biff the change bowlers when the ball is a bit softer. But it is an honour to be asked to open So if you get the chance, definitely go for it.

Totally agree with everything you posted - good post :)

Important to be a good caller and runner between the wickets. When you open, rotating the strike well relieves the pressure from the batsmen. As a captain you really don’t need run outs at the top of the order, could cost you the match.

Back