Out or not out?

Mr-Cricket

Out or not out?

I've two questions to ask about whether this would be out or not out?

1) If a batsman hits the ball and the ball then deflects of the non-striking batsman's bat and is caught by a fielder, which one is out, the striker or non-striker?

2) If a batsman is bowled and the bails are broken, and then the bails go up into the air and land back on the stumps in the exact perfect position, would it be out or would it be not out?

Re: Out or not out?

1) The striker is out. Law 32.3 (e) says the striker is out if the ball hits the umpire, non striker or another fielder. The only exception would be if it hits a helmet of a fielder.

2) Not Out. According to Law 28.1 (b). The bail must be totally removed from the top of the stump.

Harrowdrive is spot on there; bit like the old 'you're the ref' section of match (?) magazine when I was a kid.

Maybe we should have a 'you're the umpire' section?

Mr Cricket said:
1) If a batsman hits the ball and the ball then deflects of the non-striking batsman's bat and is caught by a fielder, which one is out, the striker or non-striker?

Haha thats what happened to andrew symonds against sri lanka. he hit it hard but straight at clarke and the ball deflected to tillikaratne (?) dilshan i think it was. then as he walked off he said to clarke, 'you owe me a beer'!. ah good times

Back