Over Pitching The Ball And Why?

TomBowler97

Hi guys,
Recently I have stopped bowling with a 90 degree arm, like an offie and now bowl with about the same height as Shane Warne. It is working really well for me. The spin is better and it is more accurate, with me bowling no full tosses since the change.

However 7/10 are right at the batsmans feet, so I'm wondering why this happens and how to bring the ball back to pitch at a good length. I don't to just lob it up there slow so that it pitches!

Is it not completing the actions? Releasing the ball too early or late? Why is this happening?!
What are your opinions and tips?

Thanks,
Tom!

Hi guys,
Recently I have stopped bowling with a 90 degree arm, like an offie and now bowl with about the same height as Shane Warne. It is working really well for me. The spin is better and it is more accurate, with me bowling no full tosses since the change.

However 7/10 are right at the batsmans feet, so I'm wondering why this happens and how to bring the ball back to pitch at a good length. I don't to just lob it up there slow so that it pitches!

Is it not completing the actions? Releasing the ball too early or late? Why is this happening?!

Thanks,
Tom!
There are a lot of reasons why it could be happening, are you able to post a video of you bowling?

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Tom!

Are you spinning it really hard, a degree of over-spin will make the ball dip and drop shorter, but as leftie says it could be a number of things.

Why can't you bowl a few deliveries at the batsman's feet? If you've seen the video where Shane Warne bowls Darren Powell around the legs you'll know how this can be useful.
If you still want to elliminate it, here are a few things I've picked up from other spin bowlers:
Always look at your target which should be a full length but not too full.
Get up high on the toes of your front foot so you don't have to bowl up, but directly forwards (towards the eyes of the batsman) so that you can control the length of the delivery better.
As Dave said, top spin will help the ball get down so make sure you are adding some to your leg break.
Bowling round arm often helps you bowl slightly flatter, but makes it more difficult to bowl up and bring it down. Bowling with a high arm helps you dip the ball from a high release point (Warne vs Kumble)

There are many drills that you can use to help fix this problem. I don't think it's something that's wrong with your action. 3/10 over pitched deliveries sounds like a very good ratio for a young bowler like yourself. You can even set a field for that kind of bowling. Get a short mid wicket and short cover so that the bad balls have a chance to take wickets as well.
Thanks very much for the reply! I see what you mean! I just feel that I'm not letting the ball spin and take effect if it is right up there

It might be worth considering the simplest explanation.Maybe you are releasing the ball too early? If you release the ball later, does it pitch on a better length but towards off? If so the cure is to be more side-on.

It might be worth considering the simplest explanation.Maybe you are releasing the ball too early? If you release the ball later, does it pitch on a better length but towards off? If so the cure is to be more side-on.
Releasing the ball later puts it into an okay length but its flat, Since changing from the high arm that you will see on my YT channel (same as name on here, earlier videos) I bowl a lot less full tosses and the spin is more effective. The line I'm bowling is consistent, always middle, It's just the length that is a bit inconsistent

Releasing the ball later puts it into an okay length but its flat, Since changing from the high arm that you will see on my YT channel (same as name on here, earlier videos) I bowl a lot less full tosses and the spin is more effective. The line I'm bowling is consistent, always middle, It's just the length that is a bit inconsistent
i would very much wonder that it is too flat - I would say you would have to be bowling 55mph+ to claim that. And I wonder if that would be so much of a problem anyway, certainly nothing like overpitching.

I do hope you aren't attached to sharply dropping balls that do flummox many batsmen but not the good ones who might not let the ball bounce at all between your hand and the boundary rope.

Simply put, you have to adjust the release point to determine the length you are bowling. That is the final adjustment. By all means tinker with pace and spin. But then whatever you do pitch it on the length. That is more important than anything!

How do you release the ball later? Am I the only person that thinks trying to do this is like asking a fast bowler to bowl a delay ball? If you have decent arm speed you'd have to time the release right by the millisecond to get it on a good length, how can you possibly change the time of release at will by a few milliseconds? I might be the only one finding this difficult because I do have a fast arm speed but it still sounds too risky. I read an article that was written by Menno Gazendam. He says that to get maximum revs you need an arm speed similar to that of a fast bowler but the ball should come out much slower due to all the work you put on the ball.

There's an old bowling mantra that says "line is optional, length is crucial" But you only get accuracy through long, hard hours of practice so don't be discouraged if you bowl one or two fullish deliveries.
I don't quite understand the argument
. If you are saying that the release point crucially affects the length, then what alternative to getting it right can there be?

I don't quite understand the argument
. If you are saying that the release point crucially affects the length, then what alternative to getting it right can there be?
I'm in agreement with Boogiespinners basic premise here, the point at which you release the ball determines the length, I guess that is also reliant on the fact that you're spinning the ball at the same rate and bowling at the same speed? When it comes down to it though I also think the whole issue slowly becomes less of a concern by simply grooving your stock delivery. It probably takes most people a number of years to tweak and re-tweak their leg break bowling action and delivery until it actually starts to resemble a stock delivery? You have to bowl a lot of stock balls until you've got length, flight, spin and speed honed to the point where you do it consistently. I just think Tom just needs to bowl more and being here in the UK I'm guessing he's not bowled a great deal in the last 4 or 5 months?

ok, take things to an extreme. Suppose I am a fast bowler and have no idea how to bowl a bouncer. I can only pitch it on a good length. What should I do?

edited to add - I appreciate this does sound somewhat a silly question but it is the same issue

Last edited:
...you only get accuracy through long, hard hours of practice...

You've changed your action, Tom. You need to groove the hell out of it until you have it down pat. Get back in the nets* and keep ripping them.

*I know, I know, you are in the nets all the time. Good.

Back