Pace bowling after you have delivered the ball

FBI

Pace bowling after you have delivered the ball

Most club cricketers and youth club cricketers are under the impression that fast bowling is just about delivering the ball and if you get a wicket: yay, if not, oh well. This could not be more wrong...fast bowling is a six ball battle with no spaces imbetween.

The Stare:

The stare is a simple yet effective intimidatory tactic. The batsman will always look back at you for the moment after he has followed the ball into the keepers gloves. You must start the stare immediately and focus in the spot imbetween his eyes with your lips closed and your teeth firmly together to make a mean but not over the top expression. You are looking at him but he is not looking at you; you cannot lose such a mental battle. Make the stare short (2s max) and to the point as you make a swift turn and slowly walk back to your mark.

In the event that the batsman turns away, you have started the stare too late. Walk back to your mark.

Many say the scariest fast bowler was Curtley Ambrose. He never uttered a word, he just stared.

Imitation:

Only do this if you have made a top or middle order batsman who has been in for a while, hop to a bouncer in a ridiculous fashion. Fully aware that the batsman is not hurt; simply do a hyperbolous imitation of the hopping; crack a wry smile and walk back to your mark. The smile makes it all seem in good spirit and if you pull this off rarely enough, you will not get in any trouble and you will simply upset the opposition batsman.

Send off:

Don't do it! The batsman is out, the battle is over. No need to rub salt in the wound.

Celebration

This all depends on whether you are an introvert or extrovert.

Introvert: Don't go off running in Monty style because it won't suit you and you will alienate yourself from your team. Just stay where you are and do a nice, light hearted celebration. You could:
1. Kick an imaginary ball into an imaginary net like Brett Lee in the twenty20.
2. Stand there and shrug your shoulders or lightly open your arms to almost imply that you don't understand your own brilliance.
3. A nice thumbs up to the skipper whilst cracking an wholesome smile.

Being an introvert myself, these all work well for me.

Extrovert: Anything extrovert will do fine but make sure you do not brush the batsman or even look at him in your celebration. Anything from a running jump to the keeper, the aeroplane or an imaginary 1-2 knockout punch or any football celebration does well for an extrovert fast bowler.

Hope I can be of a help to any fast bowlers out there with this; I have never ever seen a fast bowler succeed without these weapons, it is a heavily neglected thing. If someone can defeat a batsman before or after a delivery, it saves a lot of hard work. Look at Glenn Mcgrath who had a massive reputation and so had batsman leaving his bad balls and defending balls they should be leaving, this is the sort of effect that helps someone maintain a good spell for much longer, and a good career for longer too even when the body has become tired. Feel free to add your own tips to this thread.

Re: Pace bowling after you have delivered the ball

The celebration bit is a good point, i used to play with a young lad who used to have a say at the batsmen, or something just to rub it in, he got sent off and the club didnt want him, too much trouble.

Depending on the situation, my usual celebration is i turn around, give a few high fives while walking back to my mark, if its a batsmen whos vital to us, i usually jump up with my arms aloft (Like Mcgrath a bit) oh and who can forget the old finger, the swinging finger, like Simon Jones.

thanks for the tips manee. i agree that staring for a brief moment can be valuable. i like to celebrate my wickets im the extrovert type.

Some great tips in there and well worth reading. I'm going to print it out and use it at training!

If was an out and out pace man, I'd be giving them the royal send off.

Point back at the Pav and a quick 'on your way sunshine'.

Aggression is key on the pitch (as well as a winning smile and strong jaw line). I love getting up close and dirty with the other team, all eyeballs and spit.

Back