• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

What an absolute disgrace. Mark my words, notwithstanding Australia's great achievement, this is a tragic day for test cricket - 1-1 going in to Hobart would have set up a good series, but now it is a dead rubber which one can only see going one way. I fear that Pakistan won't recover from this - and I'm not just talking about this series - Pakistan test cricket is in serious danger now. They were more interested in 1 day/20-20 even before this, now I fear this will only hasten this trend. Heads must roll - first should be Mohammad Yousuf as captain - a great batsman no doubt, but a great captain he aint.

akmaaaall.gif

eun295.jpg

Nah, no good at the computer type stuff. Found them at a Pakistan cricket forum, most of the members there are going nuts.

Ljp86;383349 said:
Nah, no good at the computer type stuff. Found them at a Pakistan cricket forum, most of the members there are going nuts.

Link??

This could be fun.;)

This is the break that Hussey needs that I have been talking about for ages.

When a player is out of form almost always they get a brilliant ball or have a brain fade, even though they just played four stunning cover drives for four, they mess up something simple, a spectacular catch is taken, some inhuman bowling is performed and they are sent back to the pavillion. Just seems like one long line of bad luck on the batsman's behalf. Obviously when you are in touch you can keep those brilliant deliveries out, and keep your concentration.

Then all you need is just one bit of luck, or in Hussey's case, three bits of luck and you are right back on track. He got his time in the middle. His 134 wasn't exactly convincing, but as long as you get there it doesn't matter how you did it. Towards the end of his innings today he looked in fine touch, he really looked confindent. Played some streaky shots but at the same time was back to old Hussey, they nervous way he always played.

I hope I'm not saying this permaturely, but I think Hussey is back.

Congratulations to Siddle out there too. He did almost as big a job as Hussey had to, and showed some real guts. Takes me back to the good old days of Dizzy Gillespie batting.

Boris;383352 said:
I hope I'm not saying this permaturely, but I think Hussey is back.

It is premature. Lets put some perspective on this innings - even ignoring the 3 drop chances, we are talking about an innings where the bowlers only strategy against him was to attempt to get him off strike. They did not attack Hussey at all, spread the field far and wide for him and basically bowled balls to entice the singles. In that situation, as long as the tail stays with him (which Siddle did) it would be amazing if he DIDN'T score a century. I compare his innings to Misbah Ul-Huq's 61 in Melbourne - where again the bowlers only bowled to get him off strike. Little surprise Ul-Huq has scored nothing since.

gandalf;383357 said:
It is premature. Lets put some perspective on this innings - even ignoring the 3 drop chances, we are talking about an innings where the bowlers only strategy against him was to attempt to get him off strike. They did not attack Hussey at all, spread the field far and wide for him and basically bowled balls to entice the singles. In that situation, as long as the tail stays with him (which Siddle did) it would be amazing if he DIDN'T score a century. I compare his innings to Misbah Ul-Huq's 61 in Melbourne - where again the bowlers only bowled to get him off strike. Little surprise Ul-Huq has scored nothing since.

That is the exact point I was making.

Hussey got a big run of luck that innings. That is the sort of innings an out of form batsman needs to get his grove back. The only thing that gets a batsman back into form is time in the middle. Unfortunately often is the case that it is a tough thing to do when you are out of form... for obvious reasons. He started to look good at the end so hopefully this is the time for him to get stuck in and get some good scores again. This innings lifts his season average to 52, his career average, so he is the third best batsman by stats this summer. Gotta count towards something of a comeback.

I was impressed with how the Australians fought back to win the game after a disastrous couple of days, Pakistan had them for the first couple of days, just couldn't capitalize on their chances though.

...though I have to admit, I would have liked to go to the deciding day of the series at Hobart ;)

Credit goes to LTD for never giving up hope.

Heads need to roll. K.Akmal must go, along with Misbah Ul Haq (His 61 in Melbourne had him dropped on 5).

I don't think Kamran Akmal is all too bad a keeper. Sure he had a bad game, but from what else I have seen from him he hasn't been bad at all.

Boris;383378 said:
I don't think Kamran Akmal is all too bad a keeper. Sure he had a bad game, but from what else I have seen from him he hasn't been bad at all.

Was horrible in the Melbourne test too. I remember pointing out to my mate that he was dropping normal balls carrying through to him, then threatened to throw them at the batsman.

I must admit he doesn't look like a natural keeper. He turns his head away from the ball, his footwork is ordinary and everything looks wrong, but he may also not be used to the carry in Australia. Haddin had trouble in India, and he is a good enough keeper.

Have you seen him much outside Australia? I have seen him some but not enough to comment fully.

Yousuf has already pretty much ruled out dropping K Akmal - he is considered too valuable for his batting (pretty funny I know considering how he has thrown his wicket away in just about all his innings so far). That said, I don't really think Akmal is the real problem - the real problem is the leadership. The way Yousuf captained while Hussey and Siddle were running amok was where they lost the game IMO.

He's a cool customer, Yousuf. Don't think he has captained too badly except for that perioid of play, but Huss and Siddle were batting quite well to top it off.

Changing leadership infers somebody actually wants it...

Pakistan need Younis Khan, they look so much healthier with:

Butt
Farhat
Khan
Yousuf
Akmal
Iqbal/Misbah

gandalf;383386 said:
Yousuf has already pretty much ruled out dropping K Akmal - he is considered too valuable for his batting (pretty funny I know considering how he has thrown his wicket away in just about all his innings so far). That said, I don't really think Akmal is the real problem - the real problem is the leadership. The way Yousuf captained while Hussey and Siddle were running amok was where they lost the game IMO.

His batting really isn't anything to write home about.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;383342 said:
The abuse levelled at Ponting for batting was a disgrace, to me it was no-brainer at the SCG to always bat when you win the toss, because batting last is hard work, the history of the ground is littered with teams that have tried and failed to chase modest targets batting last.

No, it was a bad decision then and it's a bad decision now, regardless of the fact that Pakistan bottled it and handed Australia a win. It would have been far easier to bat tomorrow than it was on the first day. The wicket didn't break up because of the moisture in it from the first day, and it was still excellent for batting today. Not at all a typical Sydney wicket, but Ponting should have known that by looking at it. (In fact, he did say that his bowlers were disappointed to not have first use of the wicket)

It was a conservative decision from a conservative captain who didn't want another Edgbaston on his hands, and it very nearly (and definitely should have) cost his side the match.

a for effort;383397 said:
No, it was a bad decision then and it's a bad decision now, regardless of the fact that Pakistan bottled it and handed Australia a win. It would have been far easier to bat tomorrow than it was on the first day. The wicket didn't break up because of the moisture in it from the first day, and it was still excellent for batting today. Not at all a typical Sydney wicket, but Ponting should have known that by looking at it. (In fact, he did say that his bowlers were disappointed to not have first use of the wicket)

It was a conservative decision from a conservative captain who didn't want another Edgbaston on his hands, and it very nearly (and definitely should have) cost his side the match.

There is nothing more to be said.

Brilliant post and I strongly, strongly agree.

I don't think the toss was that important to be honest. The batting was pretty terrible on the first day, and yet when the Pakistanis came in they bunkered down not expecting to score, yet they put away all the bad balls without too much trouble on the same pitch on the same day.

I would have batted if I were captain. In they end I don't think it made too much of a difference.

Back