Playing lazy

AnbeSivam

Playing lazy

Guys,

This forum has been so great and been of great help to youngsters.

I have a slight problem with my batting.

I see the ball right from the bowler's hand till it bounces and I suddenly feel the ball is rushing towards me when facing the fast bowlers. I am not afraid of the ball and I am quite confident to play. The hardest thing is I find it very difficult to rock back and play a cut. The ball just seems too fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some of my team mates complain to me that I play lazy shots. In the sense, I dont keep my head still when playing the drive and I guess my body moves away from the ball when I play it.

Any suggestions how to correct these mistakes?

Thanks to all.

Re: Playing lazy

I'm no batsman myself, but perhaps you should look to get into the correct position, as early as possible, leaving you loads of time to play the shot.

Try batting without a bat against medium pace bowling. Do everything as you would normally do but make sure your focus is on watching the ball all the way and getting into line.

It might sound weird but the idea is to get you just watching the ball without having to worry about where the bat is going etc. Try it for 10 - 15 mins before playing with a bat.

Try wearing a helmet (if you don't already), I find that it helps me to cut out outside distractions so that I have to focus on the ball more.

take your time, i love cutting fast bowlers its easy runs as long as you miss the fielders..........

Thanks Guys. It helped me a bit while batting last weekend.

However I got out of the short ball outside the off stump. Any good batsman would've dipatched it for a boundary. I got committed to the front foot and played a lazy cut. I watch the ball from the bowlers hand and still I dont get the time to go back and cut. Any help?

And guys, I figured out why my strokes look lazy. When playing drives, my body was not moving towards the ball. My bat is trying to hit the ball and my body is just not moving. I am currently working on it.

"I watch the ball from the bowlers hand and still I dont get the time to go back and cut. Any help?"

well are you playing 40 over games? If you're a lower order batsman I guess don't play the shot. Practice it with someone throwing the ball down to you so you get your positioning and timing right, if you struggle, a ball you can cut away general is a ball you can leave.. try that maybe? Get the batsman to bowl at where you're more comfortable with.

I only ever really cut a spinner because I struggle with the pace of the quicker bowlers when trying to cut. It also really annoys em if you leave their lovely outswingers ;)

Yes. I am a lower middle order batsman and I play 40 overs.

Most time, our top order performs well and thus I get a chance to play the last 5 or 6 overs, either slogging or chasing the runs under pressure. I believe in that case its not wise to leave those balls and it helps the team if I at least take a single.

I will work on your advice to get in position and get the timing first. I am feeling okay if the bowler is a medium pace or a spinner and I can dispatch them for 4 if offered width and a gap to score.

I dont get the time to play that shot in case of a real quick bowler.

Back