Pre Season - How to go about it

StanTheMan

Pre Season - How to go about it

I've been chatting with the various captains of the club I play for and we were wondering if anyone on here has advice on how best to structure pre season nets.

We want to move away from just turning up and having people bowling and batting for 2 hours and actually work on some different things that will help players over the season. The problem is that we have a lot people with a wide range of fitness level and want to structure the first few weeks so to benefit everybody as best as possible.

Any ideas?

Re: Pre Season - How to go about it

Sand running is quite good, especially if there are dunes which are of varying hight and steepness. Its the best thing i've found for getting fit. From about next saturday i'll be doing 2 times a week for an hour up and down, it eliminates the need to do something heartracing everyday, just a nice simple step into pre-season training.

I like circuit training for an hour before an hour's nets.

Are you talking seniors or juniors?

Liz Ward said:
I like circuit training for an hour before an hour's nets.

Are you talking seniors or juniors?

It's for seniors (say from 15 years old and up to about 50 ish).

I like the idea of circuit training but we don't want to put people off. It's just that we want to try something different this year, something that will help increase the overall fitness of the team as well as be relevant to the game, not least it needs to be fun to help minimise the moaning! :laugh:

manee said:
Think you better re-read his post, Simbazz :laugh:

Whoops my bad. Daym, just once in a while i slip up ;) I'll keep it there though as someone might stumble across it haha!

fartlek training is a good one 2.... builds fitness up... and u can change it 2 suit difficulty levels for the varying fitness levels....

I have a similar problem at my club.

I would sugget starting with something that sounds fairly harmless like a 'fielding practice warm up'. Then you can do some proper warm up drills, a bit of core work and some simple fielding drills for 15 mins.

When nets start put spinners in one net and seamers in another.

Also Bob Woolmer used to have a good system for batting. Have a bit of paper with a clip board. As a player comes in he writes his name on the paper in list order. Once everyone has arrived then work out the times and there you have your order.

More here:

http://www.harrowdrive.com/9-ways-to-make-indoor-nets-better/

Harrowdrive said:
Also Bob Woolmer used to have a good system for batting. Have a bit of paper with a clip board. As a player comes in he writes his name on the paper in list order. Once everyone has arrived then work out the times and there you have your order.

I really like that idea, might get a few more of them arriving on time :laugh:.

We do the same with the spinners and seamers, separate nets for each, makes it easier to see who's doing what and gives batsman time to settle and work on various things.

StanTheMan said:
It's for seniors (say from 15 years old and up to about 50 ish).

I like the idea of circuit training but we don't want to put people off. It's just that we want to try something different this year, something that will help increase the overall fitness of the team as well as be relevant to the game, not least it needs to be fun to help minimise the moaning! :laugh:

Circuit training has been given a bad name by all those with far too much testosterone :laugh:

Basically it is just a session with several [say 10] different training stations in one room. The players spend [say] two minutes at each station before moving on. How difficult you make these stations is up to you.

For instance, take a pace bowling circuit. One station could be:

Place two cones 22 yrds apart with a player at each cone.
One player has a ball which he/she bowls at the other, who [should] catch it.
The first player backs up, as the second player throws the ball back to him.
The ball is then thrown back to the second player who bowls it to the first ...... (repeat).

You could have four to five [depending on room] drill stations interspersed with fitness stations i.e. squats, rotational press ups/crunches, speed skipping etc. As each station is only visited for two minutes at a time, everybody should be able to participate.

This should follow a good warm up.

Out of interest, take a look at the following link, the table at the bottom may give you some ideas:

http://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/cricket/sportsciencesupport.html

Liz Ward said:
Circuit training has been given a bad name by all those with far too much testosterone :laugh:

Basically it is just a session with several [say 10] different training stations in one room. The players spend [say] two minutes at each station before moving on. How difficult you make these stations is up to you.

For instance, take a pace bowling circuit. One station could be:

Place two cones 22 yrds apart with a player at each cone.
One player has a ball which he/she bowls at the other, who [should] catch it.
The first player backs up, as the second player throws the ball back to him.
The ball is then thrown back to the second player who bowls it to the first ...... (repeat).

You could have four to five [depending on room] drill stations interspersed with fitness stations i.e. squats, rotational press ups/crunches, speed skipping etc. As each station is only visited for two minutes at a time, everybody should be able to participate.

This should follow a good warm up.

Out of interest, take a look at the following link, the table at the bottom may give you some ideas:

http://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/cricket/sportsciencesupport.html

Thanks for that Liz, Ive printed it out and passed it on. Hopefully we'll use some it, and adapt bits and pieces so we can have more than just nets.

Would do some of them good to get some more exercise :laugh:

I know from my time playing club cricket in England that the weather is not always helpful in arranging pre season nets.

At least where I am now, means that more often than not we can get outdoors and work on various things, including fitness. Hopefully, come March time you'll be outdoors and able to do a lot more.

Blue skies and sunshine would be nice, but what can you do!

Have to say that we havent had as much moaning as I expected from some of the older players but we are trying to keep things 'cricket related'. Will be introducing some interval runs as well, just to spice things up.

Mainly we're keeping things short and mixing it up, seems to be going ok, so will keep you lot updated.

Back