Provisional Winter Fitness Programme

FBI

Provisional Winter Fitness Programme

Hi all,

I'm pretty much an expert at procrastinating and not actually sticking to an exercise programme throughout the winter and ending up achieving sweet **** all; but feel more determined than ever this year. (Still, you have no real reason to believe that I will persevere throughout the winter).

I would appreciate if you can comment on a programme which I made myself. It is very simple, but I feel that this is the best way to ensure I stick with it.

Daily

Boxing heavy bag - Three minutes high intensity for each stance (left and right).
Planks - A plank for maximum time; twice per day, not immediately consecutive.
Hamstring stretch - Leg on elevated surface for 30s, both legs. Twice per day.
Quad stretch - Standard quad stretch for 30s, both legs. Twice per day.
Negative chin ups - Working up weekly from one per day*
Squats - Working up weekly from two per day
Shrugs - 7kg (approx) dumbells. 10 reps per day.
Rows - Need to learn technique first, but will likely be 10 per day.

*They give me soreness around the left lat, as I have mentioned before, but this muscle may simply be left tender due to bowling - is it worth doing them in that is the reward worth it?

Twice (might be once) a week
Interval sprints - Likely to be 20kph for 30m for six '6 ball overs'.
Rowing machine - 50m as quick as possible on resistance 4 with 10 reps (30s imbetween reps)
Machine circuit - Upper body machines (sitting pully, chest compressor; sitting press, etc); each 4 sets of 5 reps with high weight.

Comments would be appreciated. I would appreciate no comments to involve overcomplicating my programme but rather altering it with the same simplicity.

Thanks.

Re: Provisional Winter Fitness Programme

The biggest bit of advice I can give you is to find a partner to train with. It gives you more inclination to actually get up and do something and also helps to break the monotony of doing it on your own.

A lot has to do with your aims, and your current fitness and strength base.

Really, I'd say ditch the machines, but apply the same rep/ set structure to basic compound movements. But again, that depends on your current bench, row, pullup/chin, squat, deadlifts.

Also, ditch the shrugs. Hate 'em

MV!;29441 said:
A lot has to do with your aims, and your current fitness and strength base.

Really, I'd say ditch the machines, but apply the same rep/ set structure to basic compound movements. But again, that depends on your current bench, row, pullup/chin, squat, deadlifts.

Also, ditch the shrugs. Hate 'em

Will think about the second paragraph* but sorry, cannot ditch the shrugs. Doing it to appease my brother who is convinced they'll help. Someone I know at Loughborough says that the pacers are told to do shrugs over there too and that has sealed it for them. Moreover, as long as I do shrugs, he'll pay attention to me doing exercises and give me someone to do them with; as Mas said.

*Could you clarify what you mean by basic compound movements, please?

Haha, fine... Well, do jump shrugs or something. A little more explosive.

and I just mean the fundamental compound movements - bench, overhead presses, squats, etc. they should make up the foundation of your workouts - you can then use isolation excercises to blast a weakness (...or to develop some big summer beach guns). but again, the composition of your workout will depend largely on where you're at with those lifts (i.e. your form, whether your ready for weighted squats, etc.) and what you plan to get out of your training. (i.e. strenght development, a beach body, etc)

compound lifts are those that utilize multiple muscle groups for their performance.
example: pull-ups utilize your lats, biceps, forearm muscles in one movement.

an isolation exercise is where the movement primarily only trains one muscle (ie. biceps curl).

MV!;29464 said:
and I just mean the fundamental compound movements - bench, overhead presses, squats, etc. they should make up the foundation of your workouts - you can then use isolation excercises to blast a weakness (...or to develop some big summer beach guns). but again, the composition of your workout will depend largely on where you're at with those lifts (i.e. your form, whether your ready for weighted squats, etc.) and what you plan to get out of your training. (i.e. strenght development, a beach body, etc)

This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for, thanks.

My main aim is basically to be able to bowl faster. I want to get up to 70mph next year and I currently max at 62mph. I also want to strengthen my right arm as a secondary aim. For some reason, I throw with my right arm and bowl with my left. Being left handed, my right arm is very weak and my throwing arm is therefore awful. I spent six months trying to learn to throw left handed and to no avail whatsoever - what would you recommend?

I agree with ditching the machines; I don't use them, however, technique is all important and if you do not have access to a personal trainer, who can make sure your technique is right, stay with them until you are confident and a little older. They take a lot of pressure off form.

Back