Question about bat weights

Question about bat weights

I'm wondering whether to buy a new bat, and was wondering whether it's sensible to change bat weights just as the season begins.

I'm pretty much a beginner, and I bought a cheapo Kashmir bat to start with. It's becoming clear that even though it's not unusually heavy (2lb 11oz) given my rather light build it's too heavy for me. I wanted your thoughts on whether the benefits of having a bat that's of a weight more suited to me outweighs the problems that would come from adjusting to a different weight.

Re: Question about bat weights

I would say it depends on the player. I have a few bats ranging from about 2lb 8 up to a shade under 3lb and I swap on a semi regular basis without it effecting me too much.

However, I know that some people are very particular, down to an ounce the wrong way affecting their game. I can only suggest that you pop along to a nearby cricket store and try a few bats out. You tend to 'know' when a bat is the right one for you.

Also, the way the bat is weighted has a big impact on how it feels - chances are the bat you have is poorly weighted and as a result feels heavier than it really is.

To answer your question, it's hard to say. Although, if you feel the bat you currently have is impeding your game, then you have little to lose by changing now. A fortnight or so in the nets should get you used to the new bat, which still means you have most of the season left. To be it unkindly (in a way) we're club cricketers, yes, we want to do well but a few failures whilst adjusting isn't a major issue for most.

agree with what MC has put. A lot of bats pick up lighter than they feel. My 2 bats, for example, are a gray nicolls venom-viper, and a hunts county glory custom. both weigh about 2'11, but both pick up about 2'9, which is good for me, as I am only 19, about 5'10 and I've not got the biggest build in the world. I have tried batting with a 2'6/2'7 bat, and it just doesn't work, it feels too light! It's personal preference I feel!

Basically as above, go to a store, pick some up, find the one that feels right, they'll all work just as well in the right hands, so comfortability is the way to pick a bat

Back