Question about batting technique from a TV programme

Re: Question about batting technique from a TV programme

Jim2109;399535 said:
on paper its the best option, i just have concerns about long term side effects. the procedure just hasnt existed long enough for there to be any certainty about what happens say 30 years down the road. when im about 35-40 there will be more data on it and then il know how safe it is. i just dont want to be 45 and blind lol. the short term gains arent worth the risk IMO, you only get one pair of eyes, and mine work plenty well enough at present, its not like i can hardly see, my slight lack of long range vision is just a minor inconvenience really.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, good decision making. You're a bowler too IIRC so I guess it's not as if batting is the be all and end all of playing cricket.

Boris;399539 said:
Yeah, I see where you are coming from, good decision making. You're a bowler too IIRC so I guess it's not as if batting is the be all and end all of playing cricket.

i am a bowler, and i dont really care much about my batting. however i keep getting overlooked for selection for some reason, even though my bowling has been good enough. so i figure theres no harm in improving my batting as its pretty weak, and my fielding is even weaker. it just ticks a couple more boxes with the captains, and should improve my selection chances. but then based on recent selection, performance doesnt seem to make any difference.

Jim2109;399545 said:
i am a bowler, and i dont really care much about my batting. however i keep getting overlooked for selection for some reason, even though my bowling has been good enough. so i figure theres no harm in improving my batting as its pretty weak, and my fielding is even weaker. it just ticks a couple more boxes with the captains, and should improve my selection chances. but then based on recent selection, performance doesnt seem to make any difference.

Yep, no harm in improving as much as possible in everything.

And of course performance doesn't affect your selectability! :p

Theres not really much to fielding, I really dont get how people can be bat at it! (rant)
All you have to do is pay attention, back up, if in doubt, just stop the additional runs etc....

(I saw one of our australian players doing a sydney harbour bridge yesterday ... amongst others :p)

SteveyD;399599 said:
Theres not really much to fielding, I really dont get how people can be bat at it! (rant)
All you have to do is pay attention, back up, if in doubt, just stop the additional runs etc....

(I saw one of our australian players doing a sydney harbour bridge yesterday ... amongst others :p)

personally i think the complete opposite, theres a LOT to fielding!

youve stated the basic mental skills, anyone can do those simply by paying attention and putting in some effort.

catching, throwing, stopping tricky balls that are bouncing up off a bobbly club outfield, stopping boundaries with slides and dives, etc. those are the technical skill aspects. by your reasoning, if its so easy, every international fielder would be as good as Ricky Ponting, AB de Villiers, Paul Collingwood, etc. yet you watch someone like Monty Panesar fielding and realise that no amount of training can bridge the gap to natural raw talent.

i throw like a girl (and am reluctant to throw from long range since im a bowler and dont want to put my shoulder out throwing from range when i should be fielding close), i struggle on high catches, and im crap at stopping the ball when its bobbling around because im 6'2" and not especially agile (e.g. i cant get down at the last second, so i have to commit earlier, and the ball can still deviate a lot and go past you!).

they are all things i can improve with practice. im a pretty good fielder inside the circle, im a good reflex catcher (and strangely pretty good at getting down to diving catches), and i put in 100% effort (most club cricketers couldnt give a damn about fielding, which infuriates me as a bowler and is the reason why i try my best at all times). but for some reason captains always put the old guys at slip/gully/short infield positions because they cant run, which is ridiculous because they cant catch anything either unless its straight at them. id rather have them at mid-on, mid-off, mid wicket and extra cover (positions where the ball rarely goes off my bowling) and have the youngest most agile guys in close. being a younger guy i often get put in positions where im the last man (e.g. outside the circle, or inside without anyone deep) just because im willing to run (and i ALWAYS end up having to sprint for something just before i start my first bowling over). which wastes my strengths (close catching, close throwing, etc) and plays to my weaknesses (girly throw, bad at stopping the ball when its straight at me along the ground).

id like to improve the weaknesses so that i dont let 2 boundaries past me off the captains bowling next time i get a game!! its a quick way to get yourself dropped, apparently. because aside from those 2 mistakes i saved 3 or 4 boundaries with full stretch dives, stopped countless singles with fast pickups, and bowled the best figures of anyone.

Back