Quota row leaves Arthur's job under threat

StanTheMan

Quota row leaves Arthur's job under threat

South African cricket is on the edge of a crisis with coach Mickey Arthur facing the sack after a row erupted over transformation quotas for the Bangladesh tour.

Arthur is part of a selection panel that picked a squad for the Bangladesh tour which included only four coloured players despite CSA guidelines saying there should be seven. The announcement was delayed as hurried discussions took place.

Correct me if im wrong but i thought they had abandoned the quota system? it seems wrong to lose a good coach over something like this, surely his job is to pick the team he thinks will do the best job?

not at all good for SA cricket (might help englanf in the summer though)

Re: Quota row leaves Arthur's job under threat

I think I read in the news that they abolished the quota system. To be honest I have no idea about it. SA have a pretty good team but its a shame if they dont pick the best team because of racial quotas.

Arendse and Majola issue joint statement
CSA apologise over quota row

Norman Arendse, the Cricket South Africa (CSA) president, and Gerald Majola, the CEO, have apologised for the way the row over selection for the Bangladesh tour was handled. There was a very public argument between Arendse and coach Mickey Arthur over the quota policy and both sides issued counter complaints about their treatment.

for full story: http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvrsa/content/current/story/337387.html

Good to see that they've come out and apologised to the public about it. They didn't handle it very well in the beginning but good to see that they've learnt from it.

Well that was good. The situation was very ugly. They were fighting in front of everyone. It will only give the selectors a bad name.

Back