Reading a slower ball

Mousey

Reading a slower ball

I'm having trouble reading slower balls. A lot of the time play too early and scoop it up. On some occasions I've even been too late, either missing it completely or nicking it through to the keeper... I just can't seem to time it. Last week I was on 81 and miss timed a slower ball on the legs, turned my wrists and got a leading edge straight back to the bowler. Any tips?

Re: Reading a slower ball

Mousey,

Judging from my experience i feel it is requires
to be patient and practice a lot.

Watching the ball very closely with a steady head with out losing Ur concentration to read a well disguised slower one is important.
I am lucky to have 4 fast bowlers in my team who bowl very efficient slower balls so i do get good amount of batting practice in the nets.

So have patience,watch the ball and practice.

Virender

Thanks mate. So watch the ball out of the hand and onto the bat and practise alot and you think I should have no problems? Awesome, I thought it might have been a matter of technique or something. Thanks again.

Just gotta watch it out the hand so very closely.

Get your bowlers to mix it up for you in the nets. Practise practise practise

siddle2franklin;307155 said:
...watch for any variation in the bowlers action

Totally! I have a gravity defying 'floater' indiscernible from the hand; the difference is in my shoulder :)

siddle2franklin;307155 said:
yeh i agree
watch for any variation in the bowlers action
except in the case of a samra ;)

Yeh, but that's a bull delivery mate. Face it and you'll understand, lol.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Most slower balls the bowler either holds their fingers on either side of the ball so they cant grip it as well and it just floats out, or they roll their fingers down one side of the ball or it comes out of the back of the hand. So if you just watch their hand/fingers or notice a variation in their bowling delivery you should be right. Just lots of concentration.

unless its the slower ball that gets me when they bowl from further back in the crease which is a proper ARSE to pick because you know somethings wrong woth the action but you don't no what.

Egg;307310 said:
Most slower balls the bowler either holds their fingers on either side of the ball so they cant grip it as well and it just floats out, or they roll their fingers down one side of the ball or it comes out of the back of the hand. So if you just watch their hand/fingers or notice a variation in their bowling delivery you should be right. Just lots of concentration.

I agree to you 100%. It's all about concentration. Just keep your eyes on the ball (and the bowler's hand) right from the moment the bowler runs in from his run-up.

Played again this weekend, made a nice 23* from 23. One slower ball got me early on but there was no fielder, luckily. So I took your advice, I watched and concentrated. Thanks alot guys, you've really helped.

I like to bat lower middle order. I usually bat at 7, used to be 8. I've opened before too, usually in lower grades, but I haven't had too much success there though.

Nah, not unless I play lower grades. We usually play on synthetic crap. I don't like it. Well, it's ok, I'm getting used to it.

Don't anticipate anything Mousey just play each ball as it comes.

Also perhaps try practising in the nets with bowlers on your team who have a good change of pace.

But just play each ball as it comes and watch it from the hand. The best way to do that I find is to do watch the ball the whole time while on strike. As soon as the wicket keeper passes it around watch it. This gets my eyes adjusted to it and helps me watch the ball better. :)

Back